Other TX output issue

Newbie Rob

Another issue. I have a Taranis X9D plus TX and a FrSky X8R RX which I have "bound" however the Throttle and rudder respond to TX commands but the ailerons and elevators don't respond to TX commands. What causes that and how do I fix that?

Geena

Staff member
Make sure that the aileron and elevator servos are not plugged in backward in the receiver. I have done that a few times when setting up helicopters, and it can drive you crazy trying to sort it out. If they are plugged in correctly, try plugging one of the servos that are responding into the aileron and elevator ports. If they don`t respond, it`s possible you may have a bad receiver. Another thing to check, is the channel/function assignment for the aileron and elevator. It could be that they don`t have the correct output assigned to them.

Newbie Rob

Make sure that the aileron and elevator servos are not plugged in backward in the receiver. I have done that a few times when setting up helicopters, and it can drive you crazy trying to sort it out. If they are plugged in correctly, try plugging one of the servos that are responding into the aileron and elevator ports. If they don`t respond, it`s possible you may have a bad receiver. Another thing to check, is the channel/function assignment for the aileron and elevator. It could be that they don`t have the correct output assigned to them.
This issue is becoming nerve wrecking as the summer slowly slips away I have yet to have my maiden flight. As I described the 2 sticks responding and the other sticks not responding, I decided to re-calibrate the sticks and all of the servos responded but they were all acting "jittery" except the throttle. I turned off the TX for a few hours came back turned on the TX and 2 sticks (throttle and rudder) responded the elevators and ailerons not responding. I also connected the elevator and ailerons servo leads to the rudder channel on the receiver and I got no response from either servo. For that one moment when all the servos were responding at least they work just not working with TX control. A few weeks ago I did Taranis firmware update for some other issue. Any other ideas on how to fix this stick/servo issue?

RandyDSok

To further diagnose where the problem is at... you'd need another receiver or transmitter since the problem didn't change when you moved a known working servo into the problem channels. Basically the only way to prove it is one or the other is through a process of elimination and you've already eliminated the servos as the cause of the problem by moving them to known ports.

If you purchased the two together ( or with the servo's even ), I'd suggest just returning them both and get an RMA number from the reseller you bought them from. If you purchased them separately. I'd contact the reseller for the receiver and see what they'd suggest, or purchase an additional receiver to help you test it further since you'll likely need another for another model some day.

RandyDSok

Just to throw this out there, since you didn't mention having a gyro in the mix... but if you do, you need to test without it or you are adding another possible cause of this type of issue if the gyro is misconfigured or faulty.

Newbie Rob

I listened to you tube video that said I should upload the latest software/firmware to my Taranis and that's when my problems began. Before then all of the control surfaces were working on my trainer, except the throttle control was acting funny which I have since fixed. But everything else is still acting screwy. So I'm thinking why don't I do a factory re-set. Forget the latest updates go back to where at least everything was working. Does that sound like a good idea?

RandyDSok

FWIW... I didn't see a video about any Taranis by Geena nor by Tony. Of course had they made one, perhaps the version would have been different at the time they made it or whatever. Either way, they aren't at fault in any way for something that is the responsibility of the company that made the product. In addition, anytime you update firmware, it is always on the user to take their part of the responsibility as well, never the person in a video that you may have seen.

Despite that, it's typically ( not always ) a good idea to update any hardware's firmware especially if you've been having problems. So if that doesn't help with the problems a factory reset ( still using the new firmware ) would be the next step just to ensure your model settings in the radio are glitched. If that doesn't help, downgrading back to an earlier version firmware may help.

As an alternate suggestion... instead of messing with your current model setup for now... make a new model setup using a different memory slot. That way you don't loose the old settings just in case they were not the problem to begin with.

Newbie Rob

FWIW... I didn't see a video about any Taranis by Geena nor by Tony. Of course had they made one, perhaps the version would have been different at the time they made it or whatever. Either way, they aren't at fault in any way for something that is the responsibility of the company that made the product. In addition, anytime you update firmware, it is always on the user to take their part of the responsibility as well, never the person in a video that you may have seen.

Despite that, it's typically ( not always ) a good idea to update any hardware's firmware especially if you've been having problems. So if that doesn't help with the problems a factory reset ( still using the new firmware ) would be the next step just to ensure your model settings in the radio are glitched. If that doesn't help, downgrading back to an earlier version firmware may help.

As an alternate suggestion... instead of messing with your current model setup for now... make a new model setup using a different memory slot. That way you don't loose the old settings just in case they were not the problem to begin with.
After tinkering around I got one of my X8R receivers to bind with the Taranis. Hooray for me. My other X8R didn't bind. Is there a way to find out what firmware this X8R receiver has installed? I'm thinking it's a non-EU, EU issue.

RandyDSok

Look for a manual for that specific make/model and see if they provide software to interface with it... if they have that, there is likely a way in their software to look at what firmware version it has.

Newbie Rob

Look for a manual for that specific make/model and see if they provide software to interface with it... if they have that, there is likely a way in their software to look at what firmware version it has.
I haven't found that info yet, but looking. Here's my situation, I have the Taranis X9D plus ACCST 2.4GHz and 2 X8R receivers. I had my first plane, a trainer, bound to the receiver all set for the maiden flight. Following some you tube advice, I decided to upgrade the firmware on both TX and RX and the problems began. The RXs and TX won't bind. Advice I got was maybe the 2 units weren't matching with both being non-EU. After weeks of working at it I think I got both the RX and TX as non-EU. I got my 2nd plane , a small warbird, to bind. But I can't get the trainer to bind, even I've created a new model set-up for the trainer and the RX still won't bind. the Firmware folder in the Taranis X9D has 4 files
X8R_ACCST_2.1.0_FCC.frk
X8R_FCC_180322.frk
XJT_ACCST_2.1.0FCC.frk
XJTfcc_170317.frk

I'm guessing the "ACCST" files are the original ones and the others are updates ones. Yesterday I tried upload both of the "X8R" files to the receiver and I got an error message "Firmware update error Module not responding"
So this is where I am. One plane bound ready to go but the other RX refusing to bind.
Any suggestions?

RandyDSok

I don't have any of the products you mentioned so I can't test anything... I can only mention what is the generally known information or recommendations that is common on most equipment. The error you mentioned, could be simply caused by which USB cable you are using. Make sure it's a data/power type and not a power only which is just used for charging only... and also a good one since cables are known to go bad.

Having said that... I have heard ( so this is hearsay, and shouldn't be taken as fact unless you can verify it implicitly, ie not what you read on the web unless it's a very reliable source )... that FrSky has been making their newer stuff more proprietary and are now starting to only work with their own branded products. IF true, that would make sense with what you mentioned that after you flashed it stopped working with another product that it SHOULD be compatible with since it's using the same protocol. IF ( again, take it with a grain of salt at this point ) the solution would be to flash back to a firmware version that doesn't have that restriction. Again, if true, finding that information and version may be a bit of a chore and will likely take a lot of searching to find out.

Top Bottom