FBL Gyro Tuning B.D. Axon Gyro on my T-Rex 700X

Heliman450

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you again. I had a strong feeling you'd get back on this one. I fully understand that one can't run the gears together with unmatched parts. The descriptions on the site aren't clear enough to see exactly what's compatible with what. It's really only a matter of buying a selection and trying it out as you seem to have already done or picked up on somewhere.

Where did you find out if not by trial and error?

My Excel sheet allows for the details to be tested before committing to a purchase. Of course, one needs to study closely for details like bearing sizes, shaft sizes etc. that would nail the obvious. It just takes time to check through the drive trains to spot the obvious if it's there. I'm staying with standard for now and two sets are due on Thursday so that I'll have a spare set for use as comparison or replacement if/when I strip the next ones :bellyroll:

Your head speed calculator has been very useful. I checked out my 550 but don't think it's possible to achieve the specified low rpm on the head whilst maintaining a reasonable tail rotor speed. It comes quite close (1935/4385 with 50% throttle) so my plan is to run through the Spirit Pro settings before doing a test on that one. Now that the Supra X connectors are fitted, it's been screaming out for a trip to the field. I'm aiming to take both helis there soon after the bad weather forecasted for the next few days passes.

Any tips you can give on the 550 gear options will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Smoggie

The 700 tail gearing options have been subject of much heated discussion on some other forums.. I guess it's a symptom of the time of year, people dont get much flying in so they debate trivia like tail gears all day! Just be careful that when you get the new gears they are the tooth count that you were expecting. At the moment many dealers only seem to have the new 23t red rear gear in stock, which isn't really the one you need for your flying style, and it wont work with the standard 104t auto gear anyway.

On your 550 you could revert to the older gear set that gives a higher tail ratio, that would be better for lower head speed.. Alternatively as you already have the longer boom fitted you could fit bigger tail blades to improve tail hold. I run 105mm tail blades on my 600, 95mm would probably do the trick on the 550 (I'm assuming 85mm is standard?)

Heliman450

Hi Steve, sorry that I'm asking you questions about 'trivia' :biglaugh: I've only stripped the front transfer gears (my term as it sounds the best to me) the rear is still fine but I'll take note if I'm unfortunate enough to mess that one up, too. The 550 is already running 95mm tail rotor blades and I have a set of both as spares right now.

I'm hoping to develop a 'flying style' sometime in the future hopefully not too far off :bellyroll:

Heliman450

Hi all, back to my topic.......... I managed to spend two very productive sessions testing out my settings. Things have improved but still erratic when compared to my T-Rex 550 using the Spirit Pro. Attached are my latest screenshots after spending some time reviewing my setup.

I'm asking for feedback from anybody who's running a B.D. Axon to comment on the settings to help improve performance.

01c_Swash 06.03.17_S.jpg

02_Cyclic 06.03.17_S.jpg

03_Pitch 06.03.17_S.jpg

04_Tail 06.03.17_S.jpg

05a_Gyro B_Yellow_S.jpg

05b_Gyro B_Red_S.jpg

05c_Gyro B_Blue_S.jpg

Top Bottom