General trying to find c.g.

cobieg

Ok, so I am building a H.K. Yak 54, ( AKA Art tec yak 54 ) but, Hobby King does not have any instructions. I downloaded from art tec. The instructions state that the c.g. is 2 1/2 '' from leading edge. I was taught a long time ago that a rule of thumb is one third of chord length. This wing is 10.75 " so I think it is about one inch short at 2 1/2 " because it is VERY tail heavy with the battery in. I set the balancer up at 3 3/8 " and it is just about perfect. It will hold level, tap the nose a little and it will drop a little. Tap it rear and it will fall aft a little ( one bubble either way on the level ). Am I to assume that one third chord length is correct ? Or am I going to have to put a brick on the nose ?

Derek

can you possibly "up" the battery size? if "weight" is needed, I've learned that using a bigger battery is the best thing to do.

cobieg

there is a 2 gram difference. The 1500 is what I will run in it. But my initial question is should the c.g. be one third of wing chord ? If so, then the instructions that I downloaded from Aet-tec would be wrong at 2 1/2 " if the wing chord is 10.75 ".

Derek

my apologies for straying away from your original question. I would start at 1/3 back then make adjustments from there.

Lee

It is in general correct. But it will also depend on the wing profile. I'm assuming there reasoning for having the CG farther forward, is the profile wide point being closer to the leading edge.

RandyDSok

There are going to be several factors that could contribute to what you are seeing with the CG vs what the manual you found was stating... For instance if you are using a different motor, esc and/or battery than what the manufacturer uses, it could explain a lot.... In this case, if your setup is lighter in weight, that would explain why you need to move back that inch ( or so ) in order to get it to balance.

Until you find someone that has the exact same model... go by the manufacturer recommendations.

Once you do get ( or verify ) the CG... The following can help once you get the initial setup and have gotten it into the air to further tweak the settings... These instructions are made more for 3D and Sport fliers and not trainers that may have a flat bottom wing ( ie Clark Y or modified Clark Y etc )

After reaching a good safe height... a quick way of finding the optimal CG is to pull back to 1/2 throttle at altitude. Fly well above the minimum glide speed - cruising speed. Make several passes up and down the field at several hundred feet, playing with the elevator trim until the airplane flies level with no transmitter inputs.

Leaving the throttle alone, force a 30 to 40 degree dive. When the plane has gained a 20% to 30% increase in speed, (say 50 ft. or so), so that it's accelerating, take your thumb off the stick. If the airplane continues on straight, (hopefully not too long!), it's at the lateral perfect center of gravity. It is neutrally stable. The airplane doesn't change direction, it just keeps on going. If it starts to go up, then it is tail heavy, if it starts going down, it is nose heavy.

If you are a pretty decent pilot... Bring the plane back up to a good safe altitude again and return it to 1/2 throttle... go inverted. If the CG is correct it will either continue straight and level or ( more commonly ) will require a slight down input on the elevator to maintain a level flight path.

Really good pilots will also check the plane in knife edge flight... but I don't recommend it unless you are pretty proficient already.... so I'd suggest you skip this test until you are more experienced.

cobieg

There are going to be several factors that could contribute to what you are seeing with the CG vs what the manual you found was stating... For instance if you are using a different motor, esc and/or battery than what the manufacturer uses, it could explain a lot.... In this case, if your setup is lighter in weight, that would explain why you need to move back that inch ( or so ) in order to get it to balance.

Until you find someone that has the exact same model... go by the manufacturer recommendations.

Once you do get ( or verify ) the CG... The following can help once you get the initial setup and have gotten it into the air to further tweak the settings... These instructions are made more for 3D and Sport fliers and not trainers that may have a flat bottom wing ( ie Clark Y or modified Clark Y etc )

After reaching a good safe height... a quick way of finding the optimal CG is to pull back to 1/2 throttle at altitude. Fly well above the minimum glide speed - cruising speed. Make several passes up and down the field at several hundred feet, playing with the elevator trim until the airplane flies level with no transmitter inputs.

Leaving the throttle alone, force a 30 to 40 degree dive. When the plane has gained a 20% to 30% increase in speed, (say 50 ft. or so), so that it's accelerating, take your thumb off the stick. If the airplane continues on straight, (hopefully not too long!), it's at the lateral perfect center of gravity. It is neutrally stable. The airplane doesn't change direction, it just keeps on going. If it starts to go up, then it is tail heavy, if it starts going down, it is nose heavy.

If you are a pretty decent pilot... Bring the plane back up to a good safe altitude again and return it to 1/2 throttle... go inverted. If the CG is correct it will either continue straight and level or ( more commonly ) will require a slight down input on the elevator to maintain a level flight path.

Really good pilots will also check the plane in knife edge flight... but I don't recommend it unless you are pretty proficient already.... so I'd suggest you skip this test until you are more experienced.[/QUOTE

When I put the plane on the balancer at the spec. that I found on line, ( 2 1/2 " ) I layed 50 grams on the nose, and it was still way too tail heavy. That is why I figure that it must have been a typo, and the c.g. has to be at one third or less from leading edge. In this case 10.75" wing chord makes the c.g. at about 3 1/2 " and it is pretty good at 3 1/8- 3 3/8 "

RandyDSok

I am not arguing for or against what they printed in their manual... I'm saying that it is important to get verification and not guess at it before you fly... The rest of what I posted is so you can verify it yourself once in the air.

PS... when editing a quote in a forum... don't cut off the beginning quote or trailing quote tags.... You removed the trailing bracket "]" in the above quote which is why it isn't displaying properly.

cobieg

rdsok, sorry, I didn't realize iI chopped off the bracket. I just wanted to make sure that I have this set right before the maiden flight. Like I said, setting it by the book will require more than 50 grams up front wich I feel is way too much.

RandyDSok

Hopefully someone will pop in, or you'll find the info so you can get it verified...

Oh, and when you are ready to get a good flying, well behaved plane... check out the 3D Hobby Shop models... They even have a 46" Yak 55 ( in blue or red ) if that is the design style you like... and there will be no need to second guess their manuals.

cobieg

rdsok, thanks for the help, I'll try it the way it is. It should fly as it is sitting a little nose heavy on the balancer. I will also check out 3D Hobby Shop.

Tony

Staff member
I would always start at the suggested CoG in the manual. Test fly it and adjust to your liking.

Top Bottom