Truck + Torch = Night FPV

Stambo

Just got in from a bit of night time FPV in my truck, I velcroed a torch next to my camera.
FPV on an RC truck is fun in the daylight, it's even more fun in the dark. :)
Just gotta find a way of absorbing the bounce a bit more.
I tried softening the suspension but that made it worse so now I will try it a bit harder.
I may take it and my night quad down to a local sports park on the next fine night.
This time I'll take some video. :)
I will be surprised if I don't get a few of the locals turning up for a look. :)

Tony

Staff member
You officially have until sundown to get us video!!! (that is sundown my time, and just a hint, the sun has not come up yet lmao). If there is no video... :banned:

And when I think of "Torch", I think of a gas torch lmao. Damn language barrier lmao.

Stambo

Ok ok I deserved this after giving other people a hard time for no vids. :)
I will get some tonight after work if the weather allows.
I was not sure how well it would work so I didn't bother hooking the laptop up to the rx.
I use only a basic camera and tx, no onboard recording as I don't wish to risk my good cam in the very real chance of a roll over or crash. :)

Stambo

Here's the video, some daytime and some night.
Still a pretty bumpy ride, and no audio as my capture device, that worked perfectly well on XP will not capture audio on win7.
Video quality is not great as I am not prepared to risk damaging my good cam in a crash.
Video range is pretty poor but still had a blast.
Next time I try this it may have to be at a large sports park where the grass is a bit flatter and there is less obstacles.
This setup is supposed to be capable of easy 1km in the air.
Might try get the aerial on the truck a bit higher up and see if that helps.
Maybe removing the body and building a platform for the FPV gear so I can mount it all properly would help too.

Playing with a bit of FPV on my Turnigy Trailblazer - YouTube

Last edited:

Lee

:puke: I feel sick LOL

need to get a gyro on that camera to smooth out your ride a bit :)

Stambo

:puke: I feel sick LOL

need to get a gyro on that camera to smooth out your ride a bit :)

I thought about that but I really don't want to pour too much money into this.
I have done this with stuff I had lying around.
The camera and video tx are what came with the fatsharks.
I think a better mounting system and doing it on some flatter ground may help.
I'm doing this more to get some goggle time while it is too windy for me to fly FPV. :)

Stambo

Just turn it on its side, and now its compensating for up and down. :)

Ok, I might rip the one off my 450 and try it, will a cheap servo be fast enough to keep is steady?
Although I have thoughts of hooking it to my steering servo so I can get the thing to go in a straight line.
Will that work?

Top Bottom