General Trouble with Heli Spinning on it own Axis

Grant Hanson

I have recently purchased a Titan Se Raptor
I am unsure if i have the Settings correct as when I lift it off the ground it wants to spin slowly when you move the left or right tail rotor lever every so slightly to compensate for the spin it wants to take off spinning in the other direction out of control, I am running a G301 Rate Gyro with a DX6I controller the Question that i ask is anyone sure of the setting just want to check if i have them right or is it just the way i am trying to fly it

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like either your rudder or gyro is reversed. Can you by chance get a video of the heli? If so, take a video of the tail, not flying, and move the rudder stick left and right. Then, get a video of what it's doing in the air if you can. That will help a lot in figuring out what the issue is.

Grant Hanson

[video=youtube_share;fpuOIKNA8V0]http://youtu.be/fpuOIKNA8V0[/video]

Here you go Tony, Unable to get flying Video yet need to get wife to film it

Morelight

Fearless Freep
on your controller it shows the 6 channels... which channels are normal? and which reversed? if any? I think Tony (of course) is right on the money with a gyro involvement for this behaviour, but as he says, a flight video will be very helpful.

if nothing else you can set the camera up with the helicopter and hover area in shot, then start recording until it demonstrates the problem, stop recording, trim the vid and Bob's your uncle. :ghost:

good luck sir

Tony

Staff member
Perfect Grant, your rudder is dead on. Now, it's down to two things. Either the tail is spinning in reverse (make sure it's spinning counter clock wise as you are looking at it from teh right side), or your gyro is reversed. If the tail blades are spinning in the correct direction, then reverse the gyro. There will either be a pot to reverse the gyro, or you will have to go into the settings and reverse the gyro, or if it's one of the really cheap ones, you will have to phically turn the gyro around 180 degrees. The cheap GY192 you have to do this to.

Either way, you should be good to go today if you read this. Let us know if we can be of any other help.

Tony

Staff member
Any time Grant. This is a common issue that even I have over looked when setting up a new helicopter. Let us know if there are any other issues you need resolved, or help you need with the heli.

jimbo4261

Hey Tony,,help me with mine,,chopper will lift off and spin CC,,all control are correct,Up/Down/left & Right,,Pitch and the Rudder is correct,,gyro will pinch my finger when nose goes to the left,,should be correct but I cant stop the CC rotatation with gyro off or onEVEN WITH FULL RIGHT RUDDER,,any ideas before I chunk it in the barrel?,,ole fart Jim (gotta be in the DX6i trans)

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jim. Is there any way you can get me a video of what your heli is doing? That would be the easiest way to do this. If you are sure all of the movements are correct, then it's not the Tx. Most times when this happens it's the gyro that's reversed. When you move the TAIL to the left, the slider should go to the right and vice versa. Same with teh Tx rudder stick, move it to the left, slider should go right. Check this and let me know. We may work something out for you to send it to me and I will set it up for you. Just let me know.

jimbo4261

Tony,,that is what is happening,,slider goes to the correct ways,,rudder to the right=slider to the left,,gyro will pinch your finger when the chopper nose goes to the left,,but,,I cannot get it to work even with full right rudder,,just wont stop spinning CC,,,jim

Tony

Staff member
Okay, go into your travel adjustments on your Tx and make sure they are on 100%. Then go into your gyro gain adjustment menu and make sure it's about 60 or a little higher. It sounds like the gyro is not trying to correct the movement of the heli.

Tony

Staff member
Your not the only one, I hope to get off work here soon so I can go home and work on the planes.

jimbo4261

Tony,,just removed the gyro,,rudder still wont control the CC when stick is full right,,this hurts,,use to fly longago with no gyro,,jim

Tony

Staff member
:thinking:

Is the servo arm 90º to the tail linkage? If not, you will get reduced travel in one direction. Other than that, I'm out of ideas unless I see a video of the heli. If you are in the states (and I'm sure you are), you can send me the heli and I can see what I can do with it. I just had another members Align 450 that I setup and think I'm going to start offering this service. If you want to send it to me, just PM me and we will talk about it. Or, you can email me as well. We will get that heli in the air lol.

jimbo4261

it is at 90*,,Tony,,a video will not help anymore than my description ,,rudder stick goes right-slider goes left,,and vice versa,,I am now going with out the gyro and still cannot get it to stop spinning with full right rudder,,belt is tight, all rotation of the blades correct,,I am in Brady,TX but I doubt I could afford the $$$,,,ole fart Jim

Tony

Staff member
From the sounds of it, it sounds like you are explaining everything working correctly, but there has to be something not right if it's still doing it. I know you may not think so, but videos can show something that a lot of people miss. I see you are located just SW of FT. Worth Texas about 100 miles or so. I just shipped a heli from central Oklahoma to Nebraska and if I would not have gotten insurance on it for $500, shipping would have been $13. I want to help, I really do, but I have no idea what this heli is doing to cause this. You say everything is correct, but obviously there is something that is wrong. Make sure when you are looking from the right side if the heli that the blades are spinning counter clockwise and that the blades are on correctly. Since you don't have a gyro on the heli, that takes out the gyro from the equation. If it's rotating in the correct direction, and the blades are on correctly, I'm out of ideas unless I can see the heli.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Sounds to me there is a servo plugged in backwards. On my 600 if I accedentaly plug my tail servo in backwards, I'll get that with mine!

Top Bottom