700 TRex 700E DFC Using a digital pitch gauge

hoverinabout

OK, so Ive watched Tony's video on using a digital pitch gauge and how the blades must be parallel to the boom.

I understand that with the blades parallel to the boom and the gauge on the front blade, you adjust the aileron (or elevator) pitch range to give you your desired range ie for scale, say +/- 8 degrees. Then if this is the setting for aileron, copy the swash mix setting for aileron to elevator.

So my questions are;

To set 0 degrees collective pitch at mid stick with a digital gauge, the blades must be parallel with the boom?

I want my collective range pitch to be +/- 10 degrees, do I just follow the same principle ie blades parallel to the boom, raise and lower the collective pitch stick to dial in +/- 10 degrees via the swash mix pitch setting?

Once I've got the collective pitch range, Id then want to set a scale flying collective pitch curve in the radio to give me about -3 degrees bottom stick, +4 degrees at mid stick and +8 degrees at top stick.

Do I still need to have the blades parallel to the boom to set this while using the digital gauge?

Tony

Staff member
The reason you want to keep your gauge in the exact same place on the helicopter (I always do it with the blades parallel to the boom and always on the front blade as you saw in the videos), is because you need to calibrate your gauge to the frame or the top of the motor (if you have a top mount motor). Once you calibrate it, then that orientation is the only orientation that you are calibrated in. The helicopter will never be perfectly level, but calibrating to the frame will zero out the gauge to the plane of the frame which should be perpendicular to the main shaft.

Once that is done, you are correct on setting up the collective. Mid stick on throttle and you should have 0º collective/cyclic. Full cyclic, set with the swash mix for aileron, and then transfer over that number to the elevator.

On the collective, always set it up with a linear pitch curve first. 0º mid stick and the exact same number on positive and negative. Once you are done, then you can go into the pitch curve menu and set it to have whatever pitch you want and where. I suggest ALWAYS leaving mid stick to high stick linear so that your idle up settings will not cause issues when you flip to them. And setting your low stick to about -4º will help keep it on the ground if you have any kind of wind blowing when you land or take off.

Top Bottom