Trex 700 Turbine engine

Lee

As if a 700 wasnt powerful or expensive enough. Some people have to take it that bit further :D
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pQtBYEEWtMo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
I changed the video from the "video" tag, to the iframe tag. Those of us with the iPhones can't see the videos that are embeded with just the video tag for some reason. If you can, post up the embed code instead. Every other code works, just not the video tags for some reason. I am looking for a way to remove the video button in the reply box, but have not found a way without rewriting the code lol.

Most dont know, the turbine engines actually don't produce that much power. A chinook's engine only puts out about 110hp. X2 of course, but still. They get their power like a honda, RPM. With all that rotating force, they are able to make the power. whereas my camaro is pure, raw torque hahaha. I will bet money the stock motor for that thing produced about twice the power of that turbine

That is a sweet video though. I love the sound of turbine engines.

Very impressive Heli indeed and at just over $5,000 for the Turbine, one could only Dream to own, unless you got Deep Money Pockets LOL

Tony

Staff member
If I remember right, those are started on propane until there is enough heat and rpm for it to ignite the fuel. I may be wrong, but I think that is what I read.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Holy Smokies! That is way too awesome. I thought trying to buy a few odds and ends for my 450 gets expensive. I couldn't even imagine replacing a turbine. Wow.

Lee

Some people have too much money to play with. They need to give some to me :D

jamiem

Hey guys,

thanks for the kind comments on my video, I found this place through the insight page on my youtube video :) To answer a couple of questions; a standard 91 engine puts out around 3.5hp, the wren44 turbine engine puts out 6.8hp :D So it is quite a bit more powerful than stock. This is at the cost of a significant weight penalty, however we built it as light as possible - HV servo's so no regulator, 3ch sbus receiver in to the vbar etc etc. It's an awesome bit of kit :D

The starting question can be answered with this video:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xBl9JuNdp-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the beggining you can see the screen displaying trim low. this is a safety feature to prevent accidental starting. The trim is then raised, giving it the ready. Then a simple full throttle and back to idle on the collective stick tells the engine to start. This is full auto on this engine/ECU. It first opens the propane gas valve and ignites the glow, then spins the engine over with a bendix starter on the front. Once it reaches the required exhaust temperature (somewhere around 500 degrees c i think),it then starts to pump jet A1 fuel in and begins the switch over to raw fuel. The rpm then increases to around 55'000 and idle. It then hands throttle control over to the rx input. Full power is a maximum of 195'000rpm, although with the gear ratio on the 700 it is only able to reach around 170'000 and as such, is down on power a bit. When you shut it down (trim back down at idle), it then spins the starter over again for a second or two at a time, to suck cold air through the engine and cool it down to below 100 degrees c.

Hope that answered a few questions :) You may also like the video of our Synergy N9 Turbine with Opti-Smoke :)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W0iPke2WtYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lee

Hi Jamiem. It was I that brought your awesome turbine to the attention of the guys here. Welcome to the site. I'm sure myself and others here will benefit from your knowledge.
Lee

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the site Jamiem. I hope you stay around, cause I would be more than glad to put a turbine section in here for you to post in. What an amazing helicopter you have. It has more power than I thought, guess that is what I get for going off of real helis lol and not doing the research on these little guys.

You have some great flying skills as well. If there is anything we can do for you, just let us know. And let me know if you would like a section just for Turbine helis or planes.

If I may, what kind of hits were you getting on your video from this site?

jamiem

If I may, what kind of hits were you getting on your video from this site?

Hey sorry for the delay, I think it was around 15 views. I clicked the site out of curiosity as I hadn't heard of it before :)

We should get some nee video of both turbines this weekend of the weather plays ball :) keep an eye on my YouTube channel...

jamiem

Not much to update on these beasts, both are flying flawlessly, almost 12 hours of run time on the engine in the Synergy, and around 4 on the 700. The only real update is that bother have been converted to start on the het fuel, so no on-board propane = a bit safer, a bit simpler, and much neater :) I took a couple of videos yesterday of both on start up as it is quite different to gas startup. The temprature rise is much more gradual (rises reasonably gradually to 500 degrees c, then settles to 340 at idle), whereas on gas it would shoot to 8-900 degrees on initial spool up of the engine, and in the right conditions you could clearly see the exhaust chambers glowing cherry red!

Synergy Kero-Start

T-Rex 700 Kero-Start

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
One question and a couple observations:

Q - I take it there is a transmission which sends the power to the rotor?

O1 - Temps on the engine drop quite rapidly after it is shut down ... that is really wild!
O2 - What a great toy! Maybe one day when I get rich and proficient at flying, lol!

jamiem

There is a second stage on the turbine, that basically converts the thrust in to mechanical rotational energy and sends it at 90 degrees to the original clutch system on both machines. I'll see I. I can find a pic to show more detail :)

Tony

Staff member
I have a question. In a video on my youtube channel, there is a guy flying a turbine jet. I was talking to him and twice he has had his starter get stuck and not release from the engine turning it into a generator. Have you ever had that problem? If not, you may want to look for a way to put something inline because when it gets stuck, it will burn up every piece of electronics you have on the heli lol. Just wondering and passing along info.

jamiem

No never had that happen and don't think it would be possible on the wren - it's a bendix starter which pushes itself out on the front of the compressor wheel and relies upon friction alone to spin it, no parts engage or lock together while starting :)

Top Bottom