600 Trex 550E Vertical Tail Shake W/Video

Bruno

This is my first 550. Maiden flights Sundee. She flew very well. I have her on beginner (baby) settings, for now. I consider myself a beginner pilot.

However, I noticed this vertical tail shake through 20% to 50% throttle (about 5 degrees negative pitch to 3 degrees negative pitch) then it levels off at about 75% throttle and 0 degrees pitch.

Is this typical. anything I should adjust different.

[video=youtube_share;v6k1Y4OS48E]http://youtu.be/v6k1Y4OS48E[/video]

Dirk

Looks like tail blades that are too tight to me as well. Did you remember to put the bearing about halfway down the tail drive shaft in? Only asking because a mate of mine forgot on his 450 and it caused strange vibes that we chased for days.

Tony

Staff member
I concur with the rest. The tail blades should be snug, not tight. Some let them flop around, but I don't like that. One thing to remember, there is always going to be a resonance vibration in a helicopter when you spool up. As long as it goes away for flying, you should be fine.

Bruno

Tail blades are to tight or not balanced

Are tail blades of this size balanced using same techniques as with the mail blades?

The tail blades swing loose in the middle 20%. Otherwise, if I loosen them more there is some lateral blade grip slop.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If that is the case, then your tail blades should be fine. As for balancing them, should be the same method as small main blades. Just stick them on a little sea-saw balancer.

Tony

Staff member
Something else that will cause this is the main blades. On a 550 size heli, they should be pretty tight (firm jerk when holding them horizontal to make them fall). If the main blades are not perfectly straight, it will cause this vibration. It will go away when the head reaches speed.

Top Bottom