General Trex 550e V2 Build help

flyer2488

I am assembling the main frame and putting in the bearings for the main shaft. What side should be facing up and down? Thanks for the help.

bearing 1.JPGbearing 2.JPGphoto.jpg

bearing 1.JPG

bearing 2.JPG

photo.jpg

stokke

This side should be facing outwards.

attachment.php

Big opening outward, small opening inward. This so the bearings cannot be popped out. Understand?

zenmetsu

Yes, and also facing down towards the main gear on the bottom.

Easy way to remember, the bigger opening exposes the bearing and allows you to lubricate it easier from the outside. The top bearing is held in place by the locking collar below the head, and the bottom bearing is held in place by the main gear. If you flipped them around, there is nothing between the two bearing housings to prevent the bearings from falling inwards.

Tony

Staff member
Congrats on the build, you have yourself a great bird there. Can't wait to see it in the air. If you have any questions, just ask.

flyer2488

For those of you with a Trex bird where is the best place to mount the gyro? It shows 2 different spots, what spot is best? I plan on using a futaba radio system so where would be the best placement of the receiver?

zenmetsu

It probably doesn't matter much, but I would prefer to keep it up high and away from other electronics. Closer to the C.O.G., and thus the mainshaft, is better. Angular acceleration is greater near the shaft, while linear acceleration is greater as you move away. I am fairly certain that the better gyros measure angular acceleration.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, now you got me thinking of getting a 550 instead of a 500. >.<

heli-maniac

if you mount it on the bottom like the book shows its very hard to adj. so what i did at first was mount it on bottom facing down
then i found a new bottom plate that let me move it in the frame this is the same way it mounts on the 450 pro 3gx

flyer2488

Yeah that was my concern with mounting it on the bottom. I just discovered with the GP900 gyro that my kit came with, I can use satellite receivers. I may be switching over to a spectrum radio now to eliminate the conventional set up with a receiver. Any experience using spektrum? I need a new radio and was going to go with Futaba since that’s what I am used to, but I want to keep the wiring as clean as possible. Eliminating the conventional receiver would be nice.

heli-maniac

to use the 2 sat rxs with a spektrum radio you have to go to a dx 7 or 8 it can be done with a dx6i but you have to use the standard rx
I had a dx6i but now i have the dx8

Last edited:

flyer2488

Re: Trex 550e V2 Gyro Placement

My kit came with the GP900 gyro. Does it matter what way the gyro ports are facing when installed (towards the front or towards the tail). Also the manual shows 2 different placements. 1 on the bottom of the frame, and 2 above the tail boom mount. Where would be the best place in your opinion to mount it? GP900.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry this qustion was asked already, I guess my main question is the direction the gyro needs to be facing. Does it matter?

GP900.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Yes, it does matter otherwise your gyro will be reversed which is not good. My guess is with Jesse and the plugs towards the back but I would look up a manual for it to make sure. Just make sure to check the directions before you fly.

Top Bottom