600 Trex 550E Maiden Flight Today (Talon 90 & BEC PRO) Sport Flyer.

Bruno

Wow….what an AWESOME experience (adrenaline rush)!!! Sorry no video this time. I will get some though when I have someone available.

Oh by the way, it pays to take your time with a new build since there are so many factors. This build resulted with my purchase of an RC logger digital gauge (I recommend the gauge). Yesterday, once I was finished with all the BX settings, I realized (flipping the gauges orientation) the gauge needed to be re-calibrated. So…I had to re-do the BX pitch settings.

This morning:

1st, I realized I had failed to grease the OWB. Good thing. I checked the OWB and there was minimal grease.

Anyway, I had not flown in a while and no SIM for a while so I practiced with my Trex 450 PRO. (About 5mph winds). Burned one battery and then spooled up the 550.

What an awesome experience. While she was on the ground I was quite intimidated by her size. The moment she was in the air I could not believe how confident I felt with her controls. The bird immediately demonstrated how manageable she was which made her seem smaller in perspective. She hovered effortlessly…so steady. I did three lift-offs with one battery. I purposely did not charge my other two 6s. I had a fear of becoming over confident.

I adjusted the GYRO which seemed fine at 65 to 67 (DX6i) and did one very nice pirouette. I will crank up the gyro some more when I am more confident with some faster forward flight.

I cooled down with 3 packs on the 450.

I took my time and enjoyed the build and research.

I could not have completed this build with a successful maiden flight without the unwavering contributions of forum members.

You guys take so much of the guess work out of this relatively intricate sport.

Still feeling the adrenaline rush. Can’t wait for another nice day with more free time and a camera operator.

:eagerness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9FhhiecHbg

Last edited:

Derek

Way to go, Thorr!!! It's amazing how the bigger heli's can give such intimidation but it's even more amazing with the feeling that you get from having such a great time. I'm glad it went well for ya. We'll look forward to seeing some video/pictures.

Bruno

Re: Trex 550E Maiden Flight Today (Talon 90 & BEC PRO) Sport Flyer.

Just posted the Maiden video.

- - - Updated - - -

Just posted the Maiden video.

heli-maniac

Im only going to say this ONE TIME
That is very unsafe to have your video person in harms way
They should be behind you at least As much as that thing is swaying around

Sorry to be a Ball buster but thats not a good thing to do

pvolcko

I agree. I didn't watch all of them. I assumed the camera guy was behind or quartering in from behind and was using a lot of zoom to get the tight pic. Just looked at the hovering one and yeah, that was unsafe.

Bruno

I appreciate the concern for safety. The camera person was leaning alongside an outside corner of my house for protection. All precautions were taken for the safety and protection of the camera person. Camera zoom was used.

Last edited:

Derek

After watching the newly uploaded video, it almost looks like you are over compensating in your stick movements. What are your D/R and Expo settings? I'm just wondering if the heli would smooth out a bit if you added a bit of Expo.

I use to fly my 500 with 0% Expo. That was before I fully understood what Expo does. Now, I have my 500 setup for 10% Expo on the Aileron and Elevator and I absolutely love it.

Bruno

Derek, I am using 35% expo. It may be that I was simply familiarizing myself with how she responds. Thanks for the suggestions.

On another note:

Just completed my first ever series of forward and backward flips with ease.

Unbelievable Heli. (550)

I started today with my first ever flips with my Trex 450 Pro. I got tighter and tighter with them and could not help trying the 550. Adjusted her settings and the 550 was much easier since there is more mass to the heli which assists not only with vision but control.

This is a substantial transition for me. Back to YouTube and the Sim to practice further. Gotta admit I still have many beginner type orientations to master but I just had to do the flips that I have been anxiously anticipating.

AWESOME!!!

Beautiful day here as well. Gorgeous weather and virtually no wind.

pvolcko

Nice going! :)

Ail rolls took some time to get down for me, too. Mine tended to wander very similarly to yours. Try to focus on getting to mid stick when it is in the two vertical orientations. The positive and negative pitch sections come naturally I think. It is the verticals on either side that are the issue. If you aren't at mid collective when it gets to the right and left quarters of the roll then you will wander.

Top Bottom