600 Trex 550E DFC V2 600 Boom COG (how much weight)

Bruno

I am in the process of using wheel weights on the heli and batteries to compensate for this tail heavy bird and render a head/COG.

Has anyone actually calculated/determined how much weight it takes to counter the tail weight on this heli and render a relative head/COG? :anyone:

Last edited:

Bruno

I've got the ESC, BEC PRO and BX all near the rear of the main shaft. I've flown the heli many times without issue however just sport flying. I have learned a bit and can do light 3D and wanted a better CG. Prior to the weights if I lifted the heli with the battery GensAce 5300 Batt. fully forward and lift the heli by my finger tips under the main grips the tail drops quite a bit (probably 45 degrees).

xokia

Yep the pulse is 880grams
My Punch platinum 5100 35c are only 825 grams and dont have a 180.00 price tag

I think I paid $162 for the pulse. The pulse are 930 grams when I measure them. It was my first battery purchase that wasn't a turnigy. It has an added benefit in that I can slam the 550 around hard for the full 5 min and it comes down at 3.7-3.8v per cell. I also have a turnigy A-spec 65C 5000mAh delivers the same punch but comes down around 3.5v per cell. The turnigy was roughly $140 delivered so similar costs.

The Turnigy A-spec batteries are starting to grow on me. I trashed talked them when I first got them because they had the same IR as a standard nano-techs. I am starting to change my mind, I think HK just isn't aging the batteries correctly before they sell them. Initially the A-spec was 2.8-3.2mOhms when I first received it. It has about 10-15 flight on it now and it has dropped down to 1.8mOhms every cell. I have the standard nano-tech 65C 5000mAh batteries with similar flight time and those are still 2.8-3mohms. I also have a A-spec in my 450 with KDE motor and I beat on that battery hard it takes everything I throw at it.

So the pulse vs turnigy A-spec is a close toss up. I like the pulse because it balances the 550 perfectly and comes down at a higher voltage. The pulse has a higher IR at 2.8mOhms per cell though. So seeing how these batteries stack up with some age will be interesting.

Last edited:

cml001

Super, good post on the video link... I watched the series on YouTube.. Good stuff... Xokia, good info on the battery w the 550... I'm getting close to ordering batteries and currently a pulse guy myself... First tried them on the 450 and have since got them for the 130, mSRX, and more for the 450... Love these packs. I wanted the 5500 for the 550 I have in the works but was curious about the correct battery w the cog.. I am gonna run an rx pk to tho... Will have to see how it works once I begins the build.. Buy guys.. Great post.. Good info!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious about the resistance w the pulse too... Only recently got a good charger so i haven't started to document the usage specs yet as the pks I have have about a year on them already.. But.. They are just as strong as day one... Great batteries for sure.

xokia

I'm curious about the resistance w the pulse too... Only recently got a good charger so i haven't started to document the usage specs yet as the pks I have have about a year on them already.. But.. They are just as strong as day one... Great batteries for sure.
So far nothing that special about the pulse with an IR of 2.8 mOhms.

Pulse does have puncture plates that they line the top and bottom of the battery with. It's a very thin metal plate they use to try and prevent a puncture in the event of a crash. So if you care about that stuff that is one additional thing they have that others don't.

I only buy 60C-65C batteries, I tend to be pretty hard on my batteries and can bring them down hot with lesser quality batteries. The 60C-65C batteries are the only batteries that don't come down hot on me. I know not everyone needs a 65C rated battery and would rather save some money so YMMV. The 550 with the 730MX motor is very power hungry. It will gobble up everything you can throw at it. I'd even switch to 7S if I had a charger that would charge 7S batteries.

Last edited:

cml001

Same here... Just bought the 306... Now I'm thinking I shoulda got the 310

- - - Updated - - -

Did u get ur cg set?

Tony

Staff member
The only difference in the 306 and the 3010 is the number of cells that it will charge. One is 6, the other is 10.

pvolcko

3010 is only needed if you're working with 7s-10s packs. I made the mistake of getting a 3010 as my first charger. Should have gotten the 306 instead. Have only used 6S packs so far and don't anticipate ever going to a 7s/14s bird.

xokia

3010 is only needed if you're working with 7s-10s packs. I made the mistake of getting a 3010 as my first charger. Should have gotten the 306 instead. Have only used 6S packs so far and don't anticipate ever going to a 7s/14s bird.

Yea I think maybe the part you missed was the small side discussion that I'd like to try 7S on the 550 with 730MX motor. On 7S I think the 550 would be a beast. The only thing holding me back is I don't have a charger that will charge 7S batteries.

cml001

Well no, Bruno was the one with issue.. But I thank u for ur helping him.. Plus it gave me the correct direction to go w mine.

Bruno

I have all my electronics positioned behind the main shaft. I like the setup. However, it effects center of gravity which is an issue to begin with this stock heli.
I have added about 4 ounces of weight (wheel weights) resulting with a perfect center of gravity. I am basically a sport flyer and just starting with mild 3D. Looking forward to doing rainbows and tic tocks.

Should I be concerned about the extras 4 ounces including Gens Ace 5300mAh Batt. I have added and/or is the exact center of gravity worth the weight. I appreciate all opinions.

Bruno

Got to fly her today. Seemed a little heavier. Perhaps not actually perceptible. I guess cause it is heavier and that's what I was expecting it seemed heavier. Although, I was conservative with the sticks. So, I'm not sure.

I will probably fly her some more with the weights during the season and once I feel it is time I will either change out the talon 90 ESC and/or move the ESC as close to front as possible and see how that effects COG.

Bruno

I moved the Talon 90 ESC to under the Lynx battery tray and the BEC Pro near the battery tray. Using a GENS ACE 5300 pulled forward off the front of the tray (with two straps) the center of gravity is prefect.
I realized it was simply stupid/lazy of me to "add weights" to correct for center of gravity instead of moving components. Took about 90 Mins. to fix.

Ohohooo..while putting the canopy on I noticed the fit was too tight due to placement of the BEC on the outside of the fuselage. I will have to re-position the BEC.
I read in another post the recommendation to install a stock battery tray under the actual battery tray as a component mounting area. I will re-position my BEC on this modified "battery tray"
Just when I thought I had it all buttoned up?!?!?!?!?!.

Last edited:
Top Bottom