600 Trex 550E DFC front drive gear & auto great alignment?

Bruno

Is it typical for the torque tube front drive gear to be about 4mm above the auto rotation gear. I am even using a main shaft shim and the auto gear is lower than the front drive gear.

Tony

Staff member
4mm is a lot. Make sure the main gear and auto gear are put together correctly. Almost sounds like there is a shim between the two.

flysolo

Re: Trex 550E DFC front drive gear & auto great alignment?

It should be a perfect fit, you must have done something wrong. On the 550 there is a shim between the auto rotation gear and the main gear, are you using that?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, just realized that Tony asked about the shim already :)

Bruno

Re: Trex 550E DFC front drive gear & auto great alignment?

It should be a perfect fit, you must have done something wrong. On the 550 there is a shim between the auto rotation gear and the main gear, are you using that?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, just realized that Tony asked about the shim already :)

I will check on the shim. The main gear and auto gear do seem quite close and almost nested into one another.

Bruno

OK...so I was using a 0.5 shim on the top block which I transferred to the bottom block (between, the one-way bearing shaft and the bottom block) and that eliminated the difference with the gear alignment (tops of gears are on the same plane) and any vertical main shaft movement.

The 0.8mm washer was/is in place between the auto gear and main gear.

Main gear/motor pinion mesh has about 1mm of play.

I guess I'm good now. Please let me know otherwise. I am close to my maiden flight with this magnificent bird.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Doum066

Glad i found your Threat Bruno, i also realised a few days ago, actualy a friend at the Club, realised my TT front drive gear was lower than the AR Gear as you said... and when i found your post last night i found this interesting.. i also though about what i could have made wrong.. but after 23 flights, i never encoutered any problem.. so i decided to go through my manual to see what i did wrong, since today was time for my 20th flight maintenance.... and i was amazed, at page 17 of the manual, if you take a look at the upper picture front he heli side, you can clearly see that on the technical drawing, the front drive gear as also the same amount of upper versus the Anti-Rotation gear... and made me realise, if Align also comes to this point.. guess i haven't done anything wrong?... as a Graphic designer, i can tell you that when we do technical drawing, we place in our software the picture as template, and we redraw the picture over with vector lines, so the drawing was made from a picture that was like this.. so i'm curious to know, is it really a problem that needs to be fixed, or was it really made like this... let me know how it works with your solution, and i'll keep mine as is, and let you know how it goes....

Se pictures.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Last edited:

flysolo

Strange, mine is not like that. The only shim i use is the .8 between the auto gear and the main gear.

Doum066

Strange, mine is not like that. The only shim i use is the .8 between the auto gear and the main gear.

Strange... can it possibly be different from a generation of the 550e, to another? For now, both shim that came with the kit are used on the top bearing block.... the .8 shim that came pre-asembled with the auto gear and main gear is in place also... if i take one shim out, there will be a vertical play mostly all like happened to Bruno. :S Seems you found the proper way to fix it Bruno, i'll give a try.

Last edited:

Bruno

Glad i found your Threat Bruno, i also realised a few days ago, actualy a friend at the Club, realised my TT front drive gear was lower than the AR Gear as you said... and when i found your post last night i found this interesting.. i also though about what i could have made wrong.. but after 23 flights, i never encoutered any problem.. so i decided to go through my manual to see what i did wrong, since today was time for my 20th flight maintenance.... and i was amazed, at page 17 of the manual, if you take a look at the upper picture front he heli side, you can clearly see that on the technical drawing, the front drive gear as also the same amount of upper versus the Anti-Rotation gear... and made me realise, if Align also comes to this point.. guess i haven't done anything wrong?... as a Graphic designer, i can tell you that when we do technical drawing, we place in our software the picture as template, and we redraw the picture over with vector lines, so the drawing was made from a picture that was like this.. so i'm curious to know, is it really a problem that needs to be fixed, or was it really made like this... let me know how it works with your solution, and i'll keep mine as is, and let you know how it goes....

Se pictures.

View attachment 8323View attachment 8324View attachment 8325

Interesting theory regarding manual pic. Just seems like a waste of a good amount of potential gear mesh. Why? The front drive gear is quite thick. Even with the top of the two gears even there is a good amount of meat left on the front drive gear that does not engage the auto gear.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Maybe to account for potential main gear wobble. Also loading/torque deflection from the main gear/motor interface under heavy load (no lower bearing on the main shaft to prevent it). From the top two pics I'd say that is how it is supposed to be. There needs to be some room for gear cut/form tolerances and other in flight behaviors.

Top Bottom