450 Trex 450L Pitch Curve

In my 450 after a lot of experiment I have ended like that. Throttle curve at 0-75-80-85-90. And a pitch curve of: -9 degrees at low stick/+3 degrees at midstick/ and +10/+11/+12 degrees at fullstick in normal/idle up 1/idle up 2/ modes respectively. I am having also DX9. I am also doing a hover and a little of forward/backward flight. You want at zero throttle to have -9 degrees in combination with enough power at 25% throttle, in case your heli rises up suddenly due to wind and you want instantly to lower it. Also it is good at midstick the heli to begin leaving the ground. On at about +3 degrees. And the landing also with these settings is very smooth and precise. At the moment I am playing with normal mode, +10 degrees at full stick, which is very cool, but if you want the heli become responsive to the smallest amount of move of the throttle stick, then you may use idle up 1 or 2 which at my settings gives as I said +11, +12 degrees at full stick. And in linear pitch curve in hold mode I have -12/0/+12 degrees. Alternatively your throttle settings may be 0-80-85-90-90 or 95 at full stick. You don't have to use all the power of the motor. Its not necessary. But you need a pitch gauge to do all this, preferably a digital one. And one last important thing is when you adjust the -/0/+ degrees in linear pitch curve you don't want the washout base touch the main rotor hub, where the 2 pins are, as it slides up and down the main shaft. You need to be able do a proper set up though.

I am not aware of governor settings but I know when using a governor affects the flight time of a battery. You need at least -6 degrees at low stick or the heli on a gust may not be lowered smoothly. And tony has right. In a gust and in 0 degrees the heli may be in danger. Especially when the speed is high enough. Which you want to. The combinations of my settings for a beginner to a sport flyer, I believe that covers all the above in a very precise way.

Harford

Many thanks for your comprehensive advice on pitch curve settings. Are you able to tell me please what are the pitch curve values in your transmitter which achieve the pitch curve you mention of: -9 degrees at low stick/+3 degrees at midstick/ and +10/+11/+12 ? . You also mention you use +10 degrees in normal mode. This is very close to where I am at +9.5 degrees and I am not looking for anything more aggressive than this.

Based to the linear pitch curve which gives me -12/0/+12 degrees, by using the pitch gauge I have: 13% at low stick(-9degrees)/ 65% at mid stick(+3degrees)/ and 94%~97%~100% at full stick,which corresponds at +10~+11~+12 degrees respectively. For normal, idle up1 and idle up2. I also use the normal mode for my learning (+10degrees) but sometimes when the heli comes down rapidly I am forced to move the stick a lot relatively to maintain its altitude. If I have idle up 1 or 2 of my settings this stick movement could be just a click. In sport flying I don't know yet which mode could be the one. As I am a newbie! And for my mini titan I believe that it's limits are -12/0+12. If you try to get 13 degrees by the swash menu the washout base touches the main rotor hub, as its slides on its 2 pins.

murankar

Staff member
When I first started the hobby I had some sub par equipment. Back then this is how I set my heli up:

Throttle curves
Normal: 0 60 60 60 60
IU 1: 80 80 75 80 80
IU2: 90 90 85 90 90

Pitch Curves
Normal: 45 47 50 75 100
IU1 and 2: 0 25 50 75 100

My head setup was 0° at mid stick while in IU1 with +-10°. This setup will net you a good setup for beginner stuff. It will also afford you that slight bit of negative pitch while in normal for take off.

Harford

Just an update to this thread. As suggested I have trialed the linear throttle curve (0, 75, 75 etc) and 7 point pitch curve with max value of 85%. This is a good result, with much less climb in response to more throttle. Many thanks for the advice.

Jimbo

You are welcome and glad you like it. For a scale bird, I find this gives very precise control, as I fly low, most of the time.

Jim

holtneil

Scale flying is so different to 3D I love the slow manoeuvres. It's sounds like your now sorted
On my Cobra I use a flat throttle on governor mode about 75% the same as your top line and pitch is a smooth run up if you want I can look at my pitch curve and let you know what it is

Harford

Many thanks for the replies. I would be grateful if you could let me know what pitch curve you are using on the Cobra.

holtneil

Hi the pitch curve is the same in all modes 31,50,60,73,85 the first 2 points gives a nice smooth take off

Top Bottom