450 Trex 450L Dominator... 6S or 3S That is the question!

sts41

As I read more and more about the 450L... I want one! :)

I have three heli's that I will be flying this summer, an Align 450v1.5, Yes it has a lot of upgrades, a FBL 450Pro clone and a 450 DFC pro clone.

How much of the above helis will remain after the summer is yet to be determined :emomad: ..... But I hope by then, I have gained enough knowledge to move up to an Align 450L.

Big question... Would I be better to go 6S or 3S... If I see them on sale this summer, I may pick it up early and save myself the shipping that I pay during the winter. I have 4 3S batteries already... 2 of which will be pretty much useless by the end of summer... But buying 2 or 3 6S batteries could add a fair amount to the final price tag... So do I get a lot more for the price? It is pretty safe to say I won't be one of the flyers that bounce the heli all over the sky's... So do I really need the extra power?

As usual... Thanks for the comments.

sts41

murankar

Staff member
As for what to use it dose not really matter. 6S will give you more power especially for hard 3d. I am running 3s on an X3 which can go 6S. I am not flying hard enough to see a benefit. Now if you go with 350mm or 360mmmain blades then you will want 6S.

From the cost side 3S will get you flying cheaper. I would buy an Esc that can handle 3S to 6S or 8S. This will make the 6S upgrade easier. All I need now for 6S is the motor battery and pinion.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

sts41

I checked and the ESC is the same for both.. RCE-BL45X. So if ever I wanted to change... I would just need to change the Battery and Motor.

I think I will go with the 3S for now...

Thanks
Steve

Derek

Hi there Steve! I would try to answer your question like this...what skill level are you? Are you a beginner/sport flyer/circuit flyer or are you a 3D/Smackdown flyer? I think the 450L would be an awesome machine to have and I would choose the 3S setup because I would get no benefit from the 6S setup. I'm not a 3D pilot at all. I do pretty well on the sim, but real life is much different.

Since you already have a few 3S batteries, going with the 3S setup would probably be a good idea. Then, if you want more performance, later on...just get the 6S motor and a couple of 6S batteries when you are ready.

Good luck buddy!

Slobberdog

The 6s also uses longer blades, so you will have a bit more stability with the longer blades, on the 3s you can't run the 360 blades you are limited to 325 like the normal 450

sts41

I am definitely a beginner ... I have maybe 30 flights on Heli's last year. (Hundreds on Planes...Just starting on heli's). Plan is to follow the flight training on this site using the 450's I have now... Plan to start with the v1.5 since the parts are getting rare, and once I run out of spares parts... I will strip the electronics out of it, and move on to FBL and DFC.

Once I have a handle on it... I will move to the more expensive dominator.

Thanks
Steve

TheLastDom

You can run the 360 blades on the 3s version just fine. I have one and have done that very often. The two are the same size. The only concern is that with the 3s version the motor gets really hot and the flight time is a bit shorter at least in my experience. I now run the 6s motor with a 3s lipo and its really fun to fly. The motor never gets hot, the flight times are great, and it can still do some mild 3d.

Admiral

Hi Steve, I have two identical 450 helicopters (Non Align) one running S3 and the other S6, for sport flying they are similar to fly and I don't find any real advantage to the S6 system. However I do notice that the S6 can give you about 3 minutes more flight time, have a lot more torque when you hit the throttle and runs cooler. I have a second S6 setup that I'm going to put in a scale EC145 that is struggling a bit with weight I believe that it will have the grunt that the EC145 needs.

Top Bottom