General Trex 450

Terryclay

Hello can anyone tell me I have installed kds fly mentor on a trex 450 I have to much positive and negative pitch I only want 10 plus 10 minus thankyou

Tony

Staff member
I believe you have to set up your Tx so that it does the swash mixing. This means you set it to 120º 3 servo. If you click the roller you should see a menu called Swash Mix or Swashplate. In there you are going to see 3 values (on my DX9 the values are on the right of the screen). The values are Ail, Ele, and Pitch. Pitch will adjust your collective (throttle up and down) and Ail and Ele will adjust your cyclic (right stick if mode 2). You will raise or lower these numbers to achieve the pitch you want. If you are needing more collective, then adjust the pitch setting. If you need more cyclic, adjust one of the other two, then set the one you didn't adjust to the same value. For example, if you set Ail to -42 then you will set your Ele to the same value, but it may not be a negative number. Positive and negative are there to reverse directions. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Terryclay

Thanks for answering I'm a bit new to the kds system the heli is pulled to the floor I have more neg than pos at moment

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I'm just not sure how high to set the swash plate to achieve optimum pitch for beginner pilot I only do figure eights and circles and that I haven't set swash mix on tx do I have to with kds fly mentor fitted

- - - Updated - - -

With kds fly mentor you set the swash to 1 normal

Tony

Staff member
First thing you will want to do is set 0º pitch at mid stick with a linear pitch curve. Then, you will want the same pitch positive and negative (for example, 13º positive and 13º negative). If you have more positive than negative, your swash plate is too high and you should shorten the 3 servo links, reset mid stick to 0º and try it again. If you have more negative than positive, then your swash plate is too low and you need to extend teh 3 servo rods and repeat the mid stick setup.

Make sure at mid stick that your servo arms are perfectly 90º to the linkage rods. This is imperative. Once you set your servos to 90º, you will never touch them again.

Once you have all of that, then set your pitch curve to 46 48 50 75 100. This will give you about -2º of pitch at low stick, 0º at mid stick and full pitch (whatever you set it to) at full stick.

Tony

Staff member
With kds fly mentor you set the swash to 1 normal

Then I read the wrong manual, my bad (lot going on). If you are on 1 servo, then in your servo setup is where you will adjust the collective. It will be the pitch servo, or Aux1 port on the Rx. I do apologize.

Terryclay

With the kds I got the program card with it its all done on that I'm confused about the swash plate to set pitch thankyou very much for your help

Tony

Staff member
It will be the same as I typed above, but you will not have a Swash Mix or Swashplate menu. You will do the adjustments in the Servo Setup menu. Aileron for aileron, Elevator for elevator and Pitch for your collective. You still need to set 0º at mid stick and test your positive and negative settings until they are correct. But remember, this has to be done with linear pitch curve.

Terryclay

Thankyou the heli is setup good apart from swash plate I've just got to sit down and sort out the link length on swash plate but not sure if I have the tx fully setup though thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yes thanks the pitch curve is standard I ain't changed them I have 0 at mid stick but 15 neg and 12 pos this is the fourth heli I have built it flew fine until I purchased the kds fly mentor it's confusing me a bit but I'll sort it thankyou for all your help it's nice to speak to poeple who know what they are on about thankyou very much laters

Tony

Staff member
If it's flying, then you are close. I would disconnect the motor for safety then set the Tx to a linear pitch curve and set the head up as I posted above. Once you have the same travel positive and negative, then I would set the pitch curve as I posted. From there, you should be all set.

Tony

Staff member
You have more negative then positive, so your swash is too low. You need to extend the 3 links from the servos to the swash. I would start with 1 turn and test it. Just remember to reset mid stick each time. I have a feeling it's going to take 2 turns or more to get it right. Anything within 1/2 degree is acceptable.

And it's my pleasure. I do this because I love doing it. If you need any more help, all you have to do is post up.

murankar

Staff member
I believe the fly mentor was designed to work with a tail gyro only or flybar. I have never done a setup on it or even seen one. I did however watch a video of a guy using one. I am not sure if this unit does the pitch in the radio or in the gyro. I would assume it would be in the radio since it is for flybars, unless they updated to work with fbl units.

Admiral

I believe that you can use Flymentor with FBL if you daisy chain them, but the gains are a bitch to sort out.STAB_WIRING.jpg

STAB_WIRING.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Let us how it works on fbl. I think it would be easier to use it as a flyer tool. Most modern gyros will do basically the same thing.

KLA

The Flymentor 3D is meant to be used on "Flybar" Helicopters. There have been a few cases where people have used them on FBL helis, but it is such a PIA that it defeats the purpose for beginners. I had a Flymentor on one of my 450's but just took it off cause I converted it to FBL and put a BeastX on it that Rodney gave me. And actually the Flymentor setup is easier than the BeastX, if you have the programing card. If anyone needs help setting up a Flymentor 3D, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Smoggie

I dont think the Flymentor is still being sold is it?... maybe some places still have old stock.

The new generation of flybarless controllers with self leveling should render it very much obsolete I'd have thought. Unless as said already you have a flybar heli and dont want to move to flybarless.

KLA

Ya know, I really couldn't tell you if the Flymentor is still in production, but like you said, there are still some places that still have them for sale. I know that Hobbyking still has them in their Hong Kong store.

I wouldn't recommend putting it on a FBL heli. It has been done but it is so difficult to get it to work properly with the FBL controllers. It's kinda like putting a 3 axis gyro on a Flybar heli. They would fight against each other. It can be done but it is so difficult that it really isn't worth the trouble.

Dougf

The Flymentor 3D is meant to be used on "Flybar" Helicopters. There have been a few cases where people have used them on FBL helis, but it is such a PIA that it defeats the purpose for beginners. I had a Flymentor on one of my 450's but just took it off cause I converted it to FBL and put a BeastX on it that Rodney gave me. And actually the Flymentor setup is easier than the BeastX, if you have the programing card. If anyone needs help setting up a Flymentor 3D, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Dougf

Hi, I bought a used trex450 with the flymentor 3D ,I am having problems with it not getting a signal from the rx.I have renewed the rx but it didn't help.I am using a DX6i and a spektrum AR6200 and checked the connections a number of times without success ,the status light is flashing red.I followed a tutorial from Ivan Barb which was straight forward but didn't help,I have bought the programming card which doesn't help any either.Thinking I may have a faulty control unit?

Top Bottom