450 Trex 450 sport FB center of gravity problem.

Bruno

Seems no matter how small a battery I try (2200 mAh) I am not able to reduce the nose heavy physics of the heli. Consequently, simple piros are a challenge. Any suggestions to achieve a better center of gravity are appreciated. :torn:

Tony

Staff member
how far off are we talking? Can you get a picture of you holding it, flight ready, by the flybar to show how far it's out?

One thing to remember, the CoG is not as important on a heli like it is on a plane. But as you stated, CoG will affect piro's pretty bad.

Bruno

I was prepping to take the picture, flight ready, held by fb and it was level. However, when I hold the heli by the blades (like you would a fbl) the nose drops to 6:00. ???

Tony

Staff member
That doesn't make any sense. holding the flybar or blade grips should show about the same result. however, holding the blade grips will show a more defined CoG. I'm not sure.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I always hold the blade grips verticle and the heli horizontal..that should give you a good COG. Hurry and take the pic, this bird is heavy..lol

P6220009.jpg

Tony is right..COG is not as important but great to have it centered, especially if you love to hover. it is important though if you are doing some 3D either that or have some awesome collective management.

P6220009.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That heli is bigger than you are lmao.

What my point was with my point is, the heli can over come the CoG issue. Since you can put force on any part of the disk when it's spinning, it's easy to correct. Lets say it's nose heavy, you can add back cyclic to force more air down on the front and up on the rear. It will still hold it in a hover and stil be stable somewhat. However, if you get a gust of wind, translational lift will take over and it will start pitching to the back.

As stated, it's best to have a perfect CoG, but a little out isn't going to hurt anything. I just checked my 450 for the first time when I read this thread, and to my surprise, it's dead on lol.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
That heli is bigger than you are lmao.

What my point was with my point is, the heli can over come the CoG issue. Since you can put force on any part of the disk when it's spinning, it's easy to correct. Lets say it's nose heavy, you can add back cyclic to force more air down on the front and up on the rear. It will still hold it in a hover and stil be stable somewhat. However, if you get a gust of wind, translational lift will take over and it will start pitching to the back.

As stated, it's best to have a perfect CoG, but a little out isn't going to hurt anything. I just checked my 450 for the first time when I read this thread, and to my surprise, it's dead on lol.

:rotflmao:

LOL..

Lee

Very strange that your 450 is so out on the CoG. You must have a super heavy 2200mah pack to not be able to balance it. We need to see this one. Pics :)

Bruno

Here are the pics. Balanced pretty well when held by FB however dips to 5:00 when held by grips. Can't figure out why. Someone enlighten me.

CG FB.jpg

CG GRIPS.jpg

CG GRIPS.jpg

CG FB.jpg

Slobberdog

Wow it took me a while to figure out why so different results, try holding the flybar across the heli not inline with it, then see what result that brings.

Bruno

Wow it took me a while to figure out why so different results, try holding the flybar across the heli not inline with it, then see what result that brings.

In that orientation ( with the flybar perpendicular to the boom) the servo configuration prevents free movement of the heli. I am holding the fb the way it should be held to check CG.

Perplexed!

Last edited:

Bruno

Yea, You may be right.
Still confusing though since she levels when held horizontal but not when blades are held vertical.
I just built this one so the training gear are on while I experiment with the settings.

- - - Updated - - -

With those training gear on there it's messing it up! Take the training gear off and check it!

Yea, You may be right.
Still confusing though since she levels when held horizontal but not when blades are held vertical.
I just built this one so the training gear are on while I experiment with the settings.

Top Bottom