General Trex 450 Replacement Parts Question (crash repair)

mooserider

Hi all! It's been a while since I posted. I took a slight break from my 450 to play with a Blade micro cpx I bought. Those things are squirly as hell by the way!

So in short, I crashed my 450. I *thought* it was one of the smallest crashes I've had so far... I didn't even get off the ground! After spool-up, it tilted sideways and caught a rotor (user error). That simple 'crash' bent the main shaft, killed the bearings, bent the tail boom, killed the sat receiver, bent parts in the tail assembly, stripped 3 servos, broke the rotor blades, stripped the main gear, and a few other fun things! Cost a little over $100.

I had some replacement parts ready from previous 'incidents', but to my surprise, some are slightly different size. I believe this is due to not fully realizing how old my kit is. This is an Aligh Trex 450 that I bought probably 6+ years ago. They have SE, SA, and all these confusing variations. Anyhow, two parts I want to replace, but are slightly different sizes are the tail blades and the main shaft. I believe these things are not an issue, but being a newbie, I figure it's best to check with the pros first.

Here's what I'm thinking on each part. Please tell me if I'm wrong:

1. Tail rotor blades. I actually can't find the exact size replacement... checked on amain and some LHS's. The tail blades I got on amain are about 3mm longer, and 1.5mm wider (probably slightly thicker too). In my head, I believe that setting up the tail with 3GX properly (end points and gyro), that the exact blade size won't matter. As the gyro will essentially compensate regardless. All it 'knows' is that it needs to give more left/right tail movement to hold steady. Gain may need to be adjusted, but the whole thing requires a full 3GX setup again anyway.

2. Main shaft is slightly longer (about 4-5 mm), and the two holes (for main gear and rotor assembly) don't match the old shaft. In fitting it, the lower half with the main gear fits fine, meshing wit the tail drive gears fine. I'm not concerned about that really. This means the rotor assembly sits higher though (as the shaft is longer on top). To compensate, I adjust the linkage rods to be slightly longer when the servos are at 'center' (or 90 degrees). My thinking is, the servos are still 90'd, they have full up/down movement, so things should be fine (so long as I zero the main blades). Th blades are slightly higher from the body, but I dont' think it will matter.

Please let me know if I'm doing something dumb. All the other things I have done... check for stress fractures, check bearings, etc, etc. Just concerned about my assumptions above.

Thanks!

trainrider06

Hi Mooserider, have you checked any of the online manuals available for your particular heli. Sometimes compairing the different ones or yours in particular with one of the different manuals, you can figure out exactly what model you have.
As far as your tail blades, as long as the root (part that the bolt or screw goes through) fits into the grip they should be fine, only thing is be very careful to check length! Make sure you have good clearance...I believe they show blade length in the manual also of any one particular heli.
The longer shaft may be ok, but you have to watch about over extending your link adjustability also! As well how everything fits with the head.

trainrider06

I would almost bet that is an SE V-1 450 though thinking about it. The shorter main blades I think the V1 had 315's on it..

mooserider

(Wow you log out quick here... session ttl must be like 5 minutes!)

Ok, so ya I did not do my due diligence here. So here's what I got from the box: "trex 450 dfc super combo model kx015087t"

Now I've looked this up (Ron's RC Helicopters), but honestly they're calalog is vague on details of old stuff (and I don't blame them for that really).

trainrider06, I checked the box details on the main blade length and they're 325s. Maybe it's not as old as I thought. Now that I really think about it, I got it around 2012. Sorry for the exaggeration, I'm getting old... these years tend to start blending together.

trainrider06

Haha no problem, I have a Pro DFC model so I know exactly the model your talking about!
And I hear ya on the age thing! :)
Ok so probably you got a shaft for the older model heli that is FBL, the shafts you need to use are the "DFC" shafts it'll say DFC right on em. The correct tail blades are actually a bit longer also for the DFCpro version also, but still check your clearance...yeah Ron's R/Cis usually a bit higher than others, but if you have a question about ordering a correct part Ron himself usually answers back and pretty quickly too! And now thinking back you said a 3GX too didn't ya? Duhh that was my mistake, that's an automatic tip as to the type heli it was! See your not the only one feeling a bit long in the tooth!
Oh and a good place for parts also is Lowerheli, they have shipped my stuff I've ordered really quick!

oh here are some part numbers that may be of help....
Align tail blades (68mm) AGNHQ0683A, main shafts AGNH45166 you might want to check your feathering shaft also, those sometimes get bent..AGNH45H005XX this is the shaft and bearings included, it's also an upgraded shaft assembly AGNH45H005XX
Also don't forget you'll need torque tube bearing, and Torque tube shaft, as well the boom.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Smoggie

I'd not be too worried about the tail blades if it's just 2-3mm... But the main shaft i'd personally want to get right. Having said that if the links can be extended while still retaining a good amount of thread engagement in ball links then it would work ok.

mooserider

Thanks all! So I went through and tweaked the linkages to zero out the blade pitch, and I things seem good. I didn't have to extend them as much as I thought, just a few turns. I took it out of the top linkages mainly, as they were fully on 100% previously, so there was lot of room. I attached a photo below.

I'm off the the LHS again though... send my wife to pick up the replacement bearings, but the one they gave here are too thin. I definitely don't want to half-ass that bit!

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks!

rotors.JPG

rotors.JPG

trainrider06

No problem at all! I may have to bend your ear on advise if I ever get a plane! :) Be sure to post pix of that machine when she's done!

mooserider

Well, the LHS ended up giving my wife the wrong size bearings, and they didn't have the right ones (even though I called ahead arg!). So I ended up being patient and ordered some online, along with the correct main shaft. Redid all the 3gx stuff again (thanks yet again Tony!!), and took it out today with the training sticks on just down the street (soccer field). Went through two batteries just hovering around around and making sure no parts were flying off or anything. All went well. It's been two months and my hands were shaking like a spaz. Always have to remember to breath and blink once in a while. = )

Right now I'm working on an old arf plane someone gave me. No idea what it is, but it's the first electric plane I've ever had and it's been at least 8 years since I've flown. I got a new membership at the club up here in Seattle and I'm planning on taking it down tomorrow to see how it flies! Taking the heli too... maybe I'll get lucky and find some heli folks down there to get advice from.

I'm also working on a old trainer and a Super Skybolt 90 (bipe). The trainer was to re-teach myself to fly, before flying the bipe. I have always wanted to build one, and it's been fun. The skeleton is done. I have a YS110 I bought years ago, still brand new and never run, that is going in it. Love the sound of four strokes! Will have to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks again for the help all!

Tony

Staff member
We are going to need pictures of the Bipe! I love Bipes. I have one, but it's only a 30" wing. Just get ready for the tail drop in a turn when you fly it.

mooserider

Hi Tony! I was just taking some! Here are a few pics. FYI, I just recently made myself a little RC area to start working on planes again. My wife allocated this corner to me, so I made the best use of it I could! Few pics below.

Pics from top to bottom:
1. 'Arcee', my trex 450. New BLUE tail boom, fancy!
2. New work area for my toys (hung up all my old (crashed) and new planes; got them out of the attic.
3. Pic of what I have for the bipe so far. There will be a smoke system... otherwise, why have a biplane right?

Trex 450:
arcee.jpg

RC Work Bench:
bench.jpg

Super Skybolt 90:
skybolt.jpg

I'll start a thread in the airplanes section soon for some of that stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why that image attached twice, and can't easily see a way to edit the post.

Ya Tony, the only bipes I've flown are on a simulator. I know they are supposed to have "the glide slope of a brick". No room for screw ups... they go where you tell them to. Anyhow, that's the reason I figured I should get a little practice in first! The closest thing I've flown to being that aerobatic is a super sportster 40 (a wrecked one is in the pictures above, which had an os 46 asb - stupid fast), or a chaos.

arcee.jpg

arcee.jpg

bench.jpg

skybolt.jpg

trainrider06

Well, the LHS ended up giving my wife the wrong size bearings, and they didn't have the right ones (even though I called ahead arg!). So I ended up being patient and ordered some online, along with the correct main shaft. Redid all the 3gx stuff again (thanks yet again Tony!!), and took it out today with the training sticks on just down the street (soccer field). Went through two batteries just hovering around around and making sure no parts were flying off or anything. All went well. It's been two months and my hands were shaking like a spaz. Always have to remember to breath and blink once in a while. = )

Right now I'm working on an old arf plane someone gave me. No idea what it is, but it's the first electric plane I've ever had and it's been at least 8 years since I've flown. I got a new membership at the club up here in Seattle and I'm planning on taking it down tomorrow to see how it flies! Taking the heli too... maybe I'll get lucky and find some heli folks down there to get advice from.

I'm also working on a old trainer and a Super Skybolt 90 (bipe). The trainer was to re-teach myself to fly, before flying the bipe. I have always wanted to build one, and it's been fun. The skeleton is done. I have a YS110 I bought years ago, still brand new and never run, that is going in it. Love the sound of four strokes! Will have to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks again for the help all!

Good deal on the club membership! Take some pix of the club if you want! I like to see different clubs where people fly at!

trainrider06

Hi Tony! I was just taking some! Here are a few pics. FYI, I just recently made myself a little RC area to start working on planes again. My wife allocated this corner to me, so I made the best use of it I could! Few pics below.

Pics from top to bottom:
1. 'Arcee', my trex 450. New BLUE tail boom, fancy!
2. New work area for my toys (hung up all my old (crashed) and new planes; got them out of the attic.
3. Pic of what I have for the bipe so far. There will be a smoke system... otherwise, why have a biplane right?

Trex 450:
View attachment 15689

RC Work Bench:
View attachment 15690

Super Skybolt 90:
View attachment 15691

I'll start a thread in the airplanes section soon for some of that stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why that image attached twice, and can't easily see a way to edit the post.

Ya Tony, the only bipes I've flown are on a simulator. I know they are supposed to have "the glide slope of a brick". No room for screw ups... they go where you tell them to. Anyhow, that's the reason I figured I should get a little practice in first! The closest thing I've flown to being that aerobatic is a super sportster 40 (a wrecked one is in the pictures above, which had an os 46 asb - stupid fast), or a chaos.

Woe! You got your hands full of projects!!!! :)

Smoggie

Good to hear that you got the 450 sorted out and flying again. It certainly looks like you have enough building work to keep you busy for a while. I'd not worry about flying the bipe, they fly just like a monoplane really. The hardest thing about them is the extra building/assembly complexity with the top wing and it's struts.

Top Bottom