450 Trex 450 Pro V2 --450DFC Main Rotor Head Upgrade. Yes/No?

ecruz64

I'm curious if any Trex 450 owners out there have upgraded to the 450DFC Main Rotor Head. I have a Trex-450 Pro V2 and I recently bent my main shaft. Since I'm replacing the main shaft, I'm wondering if I should simply upgrade the entire head unit?

Is it a worthy investment?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ernie

Graham Lawrie

Hi Ernie, I am going to do the same with my Trex 450 pro 3GX V2, the next time i crash:) all the research i have done is positive, but there is a different main shaft required for the upgrade. I have been looking around for the best deal as the price varies a lot with ebay throwing up some very expensive offers. If you gom for it before me let me know how you got on:)

stokke

I've done this to my 450. I can't really feel any change in behavior, but it looks sweet!

Westy

LEGEND
I dont think you will notice much difference, however you should get a move stable heli due to the 40% lowered centre of gravity.

I noticed it straight away when going from FB t oFBL (DFC)

Karubah

I am just about to convert my 450 to fbl the parts arrived on friday so will start today. I already had a spare 3gx unit that I picked up on ebay for $80 and upgaded it to 3.1v so will let you know how it goes. Cheers Andy.

Westy

LEGEND
Awesome ... post up your pics and start a thread in the 450 section of your updgrade ... do a prior flight vid and a post upgrade vid ;)

Karubah

Can't do a prior vid. Crashed it and busted a lot of the fly bar unit so I took the opportunity to up grade. Cheers Andy

ecruz64

FYI
UPDATE:
I'm really starting to dislike this DFC upgrade. The plastic ball linkages are horrible, threading them is stressful. I got everything assembled and now I can't get my blades leveled. One side is 3 degrees higher than the other! Why did I do this upgrade? I had my original head perfectly zeroed!!

stokke

FYI
UPDATE:
I'm really starting to dislike this DFC upgrade. The plastic ball linkages are horrible, threading them is stressful. I got everything assembled and now I can't get my blades leveled. One side is 3 degrees higher than the other! Why did I do this upgrade? I had my original head perfectly zeroed!!

I usually get best results when they're threaded nearly all the way in. But yes, it's a pain in the HEYYOOOOOOOH.

Tony

Staff member
It's interesting that you had issues with screwing in the plastic links to the threads. On the 600, they were not that hard. I screwed the threads into the metal bracket first, then I screwed the plastic links onto the threads by pushing, relatively hard and turning. Once they grab a thread, it's smooth sailing from there.

Slobberdog

I have just done mine from new and they all went in really easy, as long as you have a good grip on the rod it's a piece of cake,

Slobberdog

Yeah no prob, got zero at mid stick and +-12 high and low, make sure both your dfc links are the same length with the rod nearly all the way in you only need a small amount of adjustment here for possible tracking, as long as you have then got a level swash you should be ok.

ecruz64

thanks Slobberdog, but I'm off 1.5 degrees on one side and can't figure out why. I used a swashplate leveler and the swashplate is level throughout the entire stick movement. I put the blades on and gave her a spin this morning. Got it up to about 1000 rpms no vibrations but she started to lean towards one side so I backed her down. I should probably check my transmitter because I wasn't getting a lot of aileron movement. I didn't want to push my luck. I'm wondering, will 1.5 degrees on one side give me tracking issue? Oh well, I ran out of time and I need to go spend quality time with the wife and baby. Honestly, I could spend days with my nose buried in this helicopter and be perfectly happy. Is that bad, cause I'm feel'n guilty! ;)

thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the advice!!!

Slobberdog

Like I said if your swash is level it can only be your DFC links so make sure they are both the same length, and if they are out by that amount yes you will have tracking problems and lift problems, you need to get close to centre stick to see your tracking properly as well.

stokke

thanks Slobberdog, but I'm off 1.5 degrees on one side and can't figure out why.

thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the advice!!!

I've gotten that problem some times. I have spare DFC plastic links lying around, so I just swap them around until I get even pitch. Sometimes I'm not able to get even pitch; then I just lower the swash one or two turns (sacrificing some positive collective range), but are able to get even pitch at mid stick.

Top Bottom