Trex 450 Pro .. Spool up and tail adjust this evening

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Here is the first video of her. I spooled up and was adjusting the tail trim. I have her tail pretty steady after she spools up the head and up to about 65% collective. Once the collective is higher, she starts to want move the tail again. Not a wag just a slow piro. I know the gyro and esc are setup right.

My normal throttle curve is linear, pitch is 0, 45, 55, 70, 80, 95 right now. D/R 0 is 100/30 except rudder which is 70/30 as was suggested in the build video. I have not used idle-up yet but throttle is 100,90,85,90,100 and pitch is linear.
Gyro travel is set at 40% as suggested in the build video. The other travels are 100%.

Maybe it is because I have her anchored to the stand. I don't know, but I hope you guys do :) All in all I saw very little vibration, but I am biased.

Please let me know if you think she is ready for some nice strong training skids, and the first Maiden hover vid. :drools::thankyou:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RNxZEuhcEfg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
Looks like you need just a touch of right trim on the tail, and it will be solid. It's ready, air it out.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Thanks big guy. I'll do that. Without you and your forum members, I don't think I could have done it on my own. Building stuff and bringing it to life is very satisfying. Maiden video coming soon, lets hope it goes well. Been off the sim during the build, but back at it tomorrow morning :p after my workout.

Lee

Looks great Vince. The slow piro will probably be due to the rotor torque. Trim it out with the rudder trim tab on the radio until it stops. Then see how far the servo has moved. After, you can mechanically tune it out with the rudder control rod by turning the link and then return the trim tab to centre.
Good luck mate.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
This looks awesome man!! Really really good! Love the video, ye test bench and congrats on the build! :)

I wouldn't finalize the tail of the heli on the bench though. I was thinking about it, I might be wrong so take this with a grain of salt... Ok, so if there is any kind of bind in the turntable, or anything of that sort, if the heli's weight is not distributed right, or something like that, then that will cause bind in the turn table. That means the tail is intermittently getting help from that bind in the turntable so it is not having to compensate for the head speed, when the table come out of bind. The tail has to catch up, and that might cause a little piro... But by that point the turn table has caught some momentum. I donno. I might be totally wrong.

I would just try to spool it up on the ground or grass and see if the tail wags or not.

When I set my pro... Believe me my slider was nothing around centered... And when I spooled up, I had a wag, lowered the gain, I had a rock solid tail but never a pirouetting tail. You don't have to help the gp gyro with trim. IMO... :) the only thing that happens is that you don't have same amount of throw either ways but, tail still holds steady in no wind condition.

I would put the heli on the ground and let it do it's thing. See how that goes. Pretty sure heli is just doing what its supposed to, it's not in ideal conditions right now. :)

My $.02.. :)

Morelight

Fearless Freep
What both Lee and Gaba said I am going to go with. But with the Gaba idea first, because even though the stand table turns easy to me, to the copter like Gaba thinks, could be a difference.

I will get some field testing and video done first. Once I have the tail rock solid, I'll do what Lee suggests, and re-center the serve with the link rod (in the build each end is 1/2 screwed in), re-do the trim, but it will be much less.
Right now the sub-trim on the rudder is 0.

Like Gaba also says, for the rudder, I'm not going to need dead on no sub-trim. I'm not going to need full throw on the stick.

:p My stand may not be ideal for complete flight setup, but you can't beat it for working on the bird, and for spool up and tracking.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Man you have no idea how awesome that Stand looks ... I might be needing kne of those that fits a 600-700 size bird! No, you can't beat it's usefulness! Tracking issues, the way you can turn the bird around (450 size ) and look at different stuff moving and working while spooling up. Man it's awesome!

Kudos for rigging that up! How much for one?? Lol :p ship one to me heehee

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Well when I do build things I build them for function and durability. When I envisioned that stand I was thinking at least 600 size or hopefully 700 size. I would have to add a 100lb of weight on the bottom for a 700 I think. Right now the stand weighs 35 lb or so. Even if you were willing to pay me back just for my parts cost and shipping, it would be an oversize box, and shipping would cost almost as much as the parts from up here. I'll tell you how to build one with simple tools, you probably already have.

The parts are: 1. Microphone Stand--heavy The stand top unscrews. What I did is have the center tapped to 1/4" I believe. Then took a 1/4" bolt, sawed the head off, and used the headless bolt to join the camera head to the top of the stand and loctite it down. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS25E/
2. An inexpensive ball joint head. Cheapest solution I could find was this -- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Giottos-MH-1000-Pro-Ball-Head-Supports-22-lbs-/130582349081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e67508519
3.The top is nice solid inexpensive "drywall hawk" used in construction.--http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Hand-Tools/Drywall-Floor/Drywall-Plaster/Hawks/10-x-10-Aluminum-Ergonomic-Drywall-Hawk/_/N-ntm0k/Ne-ntc74Zlojg/No-24/R-I1078471?Num=0
4. To secure the heli to the deck I used a piece of brass door kicker. It was at a flea market for $20 and is a nice strong piece of brass you can make many stands with. Strong, flexible, easy to work with. http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Builders/Doors/Kickplates/6-x-30-Brass-Kick-Plate/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I2331499?Ntt=brass+door+kicker+plate
5. Then all you need is some 1/4" bolts, washers, lock washers, window foam tape to make padding where the skids are held down.

It cost me more to build that it will you USA guys, because of shipping and duty. You can find almost all the stuff you need downtown lol:p

Morelight

Fearless Freep
What the heck ! That is 2 days in a row I my posts are : Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.

I wasnt' pasting bad code into the thread. I was providing information, and using the proper add url link tool above. Tony please let me know if I am going to keep encountering this. If I am, then I will stop making posts.

Lee

I can see your posts Vince. Tonys not online and i'm the only Moderator, I havn't touched them and they are here. So i dont know what it is. We'll have to wait for Uncle Tony to check :D

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I was just posting links like everybody else does Lee. Using the approved method. I don't mess with html code, I don't like the stuff.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure why it's doing that. It has to do with my spam software but I have everything set where registered users can post links and everything else. New members it will check a lot, but members that have been here a while shouldn't have the issue. Once a new spam software comes out, I will be changing over.

Lee, you should be able to log into the mod section and approve those posts if you see them. If you can't, or don't know how, hit me up in our section and I will let you know how. Or, I will edit the accounts.

Lee

The post where already up. I didn't have to do anything. unless it was only me that could see them??

Tony

Staff member
On the top right of the posts, you will see the number of the posts. When it's moderated, it will say "Moderated" or "Moderated Post" up there. If you see that, and it's a legit post, just click the check box, scroll down to "Moderation Tools" and click Approve Posts. Here lately I have been very busy with just about everything, and unfortunately it's taking time away from me getting on the forum. But, it's all for the better I hope. Only time will tell.

Tony

Staff member
Okay I have changed some settings on the spam software. Now, it will check every post and will allow 3 URL's to be posted. But it will only check your posts if you are a "Registered Member" and have under 100 posts. Once you hit 100 posts, you are moved into an "Elite" category, and I have blocked the spam software from looking at that usergroup. However, if people start posting up spam, I will have to reactivate this. Lets just hope it doesn't come to that. So from now on, new guys posting over 3 links will be moderated like you were. But anyone over 100 posts will not be moderated and you can post as many links as you wish.

murankar

Staff member
Night flyyer did a video of a flight stand. his version is good for 450 and smaller. his is made with basic home depot parts and for very cheap. All though you will need some hand tools. I was thinking of watching it again so I could maybe build one.

Top Bottom