450 Trex 450 Pro Build and Pics

Morelight

Fearless Freep
She finally arrived today. Pics are below. Now I have to build and setup my first real heli. I'm going to go slowly and follow build video's for this exact model.

450pro 1.jpg450pro 2.jpg450pro Rx.jpg450pro batt.jpg450pro parts.jpg

450pro 1.jpg

450pro 2.jpg

450pro Rx.jpg

450pro batt.jpg

450pro parts.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
VERY NICE! Now I am jealous cause I dont currently have mine! ahahhha! JK! have fun building and keep the vids / questions coming. :)

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I just finished getting up and organizing the pics from Day 1 of the build. I was afraid to start yesterday, as its one thing to say you're going to build one, quite another to do it.

If it wasn't for build help videos, no amount of exploded view diagrams means Jack. Not to me anyway. I assumed the manual actually explains how to build it. It shows you where the parts go, gives link length and specs, but not what order to do them in.

If you follow just the book, and have never done anything like this before (ME!), You will have problems. Example. The prints for the heli, and the sequence of assembly doesn't make sense. Their way you install the servo's in the frame, and then install and 90 the servo horns and put on the ball links. That would have made me mental to do it that way. The video's showed a much easier way, where you setup the servo's out of the frame, get the horns on, subtrim, and then install in the frame.

I know you guys have maybe a lot of experience working on all kinds of equipment in your life, especially in farming country, so the sequence of the build is more based on real life plain common sense. Not so much with my life, just consumer electronics, and operating mining equipment.

Its been stressful, but enjoyable when I complete a build portion, and its been tripled checked before threadlocking it down. :p Now I'm a good bit done, I'm not worried as much about finishing the mechanical building part, thanks to the videos and exacting parts and measurements in the literature. Is now a question of setting up my first ESC and Gyro, since I've never that either, the its more complicated.

I'll say one thing about Align. The quality of this heli kit is superb. It may cost a lot more than HK type clones, but everything is very solid and assembles exactly as they say it will.

The head has to be taken apart on these heli. They come pre-assembled, but only as an example. There was no grease on the thrust bearings in the blade grips. You need to grease those and the spindle. They aren't threadlocked either, since you ARE supposed to take them apart.

So, day 1 was I think productive. Never done it before. I worked on it from 11:00am yesterday to 02:30am today. Pretty tired today, and need a break from it, but will post the progress.

Almost forgot something very important. Pay attention to the last picture of the Finless Bob 450Pro mod. You will have one small silver screw left over from the from the DS4 servo horn install. They give you 4 horn, ball links and screws for the center of the servo horns. Take a 1/16" bit and drill a hole from the rotor tube housing and into the rotor tube. Not far!!!!! Just through the tube. The screw will self tap, and with thread lock will secure the boom. The tail boom clamp will not hold it good enough. After installing the tube and TT, you can pull the tube out easier than you think. Bob said he's lost the tail on 500's and 600's, before he started doing this safety mod.

1 start of build.jpg2 tools ready.jpg3 head from box.jpg4 had to grease thrust bearings.jpg5 ready to assemble.jpg6 flybar cage swash head done.jpg7 wider view of 6.jpg8 starting frame.jpg9 Rx bound now setting up Ail and Pit servos, horns and center.jpg10 first 3 servos completed and installed including horns, ball links.jpg11 rotor TT boom done gyro not done.jpg12 closer up of rotor assembly.jpg13 left front shows Ele servo installed.jpg14 Finless Bob tail boom saver mod.jpg

1 start of build.jpg

2 tools ready.jpg

3 head from box.jpg

4 had to grease thrust bearings.jpg

5 ready to assemble.jpg

6 flybar cage swash head done.jpg

7 wider view of 6.jpg

8 starting frame.jpg

9 Rx bound now setting up Ail and Pit servos, horns and center.jpg

10 first 3 servos completed and installed including horns, ball links.jpg

11 rotor TT boom done gyro not done.jpg

12 closer up of rotor assembly.jpg

13 left front shows Ele servo installed.jpg

14 Finless Bob tail boom saver mod.jpg

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Good going man! I know the feeling. When I built my 600 it felt great. I did however have a friend from the club come over and help me with the set up. Now you know why I have been so strong when I tell people to forgo the temptation to go cheep and get quality instead! Just wait toll you fly her! Can I say satisfaction!!! Ya buddy!

murankar

Staff member
Good job, keep going. remember to take breaks your brain will melt after long exposures to the distructions.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Build Day 2:

So far, other than some tricky things even with good build videos, what a great experience building a good quality helicopter. No less my first heli kit. The blades were dead on on a balancer. Everything does fit exactly!!!

I ended up taking everything apart during the build and triple checking everything. Putting a heli together and getting everything practically dead-on, even before the first spool up, is going to be invaluable to me. Now I know how everything goes together, and works together, at least for this model :p

He put his Rx underneath the frame, in the open area above the skids. I didn't like that idea, because I have a satellite with my 6210. I put the Rx where I thought it would be easy to access, the satellite is on the other side, both antennae perpendicular to each other, and the wires nicely tucked, and tied. Lol what do I know. :).

The ESC is mounted underneath the battery tray. The Gyro is mounted at the back, and the gyro wires have almost 3 inches of free wire, as I read that if you tie them down near the gyro and leave them tight, the vibrations can cause the gyro problems.

So. The actual building of the heli, is now complete. The final setup of blade pitch, re-checking servo's, spool-up, blade tracking check, building the bamboo training gear, and the Maiden Flight, when the weather gets warmer.

Thanks all for your encouragement, observations, and compliments. :thumbsup:

Vince

15 Swash links main gear set intalled.jpg16 swash levelling and pitch with shaft.jpg17 digital tail servo setup.jpg18 tail rotor setup and limits.jpg19 Gyro installed.jpg20 left side wiring installed.jpg21 left side wiring closer in.jpg22 right side wiring and Rx satellite.jpg23 right side in sun build complete.jpg24 left side in sun build complete.jpg25 left side complete with canopy.jpg26 right side complete with canopy.jpg

15 Swash links main gear set intalled.jpg

16 swash levelling and pitch with shaft.jpg

17 digital tail servo setup.jpg

18 tail rotor setup and limits.jpg

19 Gyro installed.jpg

20 left side wiring installed.jpg

21 left side wiring closer in.jpg

22 right side wiring and Rx satellite.jpg

23 right side in sun build complete.jpg

24 left side in sun build complete.jpg

25 left side complete with canopy.jpg

26 right side complete with canopy.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Going great looks awesome! Very good pics!

Obe thing I see here which definately NEEDS to be fixed...
There are too many wires near the gear. Think of it like air moving through the heli and just you throwing it around and a crash will push the wires on to that gear that will strip those wires , kill them. Would suck if tht happens mod flight ad you'll be looking at a crash because a servi would just die.

Satellite's little antennas are also looking like they are in danger.

Recommend to rearrange the words somehow to get them as far as possible.

Everything else loos great. I'll let someone else here give some suggestions , chime in may be..

Keep it up bud!

murankar

Staff member
your two servo wires and your esc wire should be ran through the inside of the air frame. Avoid running wire in and out of the frame as much as possible. In those situation were you really have to wrap tape of some kind around the edges of the carbon fiber, I used heavy packing tape. Carbon fiber is conductive and will cut right through those wire over time. Let me shoot up some pics Of my wiring. It wont be to fancy but it should give you an idea or three.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
It was just the angle I took the pics at :p I thought the same when reviewing the pics I posted. Then I went and looked at the heli and the gyro wires are almost 3/4 inch away from the main gear. Prudence is best though, and I will tie them better tomorrow. The antennae of the Rx and Sat are well clear. I checked back and forth on both sides when wiring and tying down, I was getting dizzy lol. Both the Rx and Sat are also well away from the motor and ESC, and on opposite sides of the frame.

I just finished watching a good ESC programming vid, and once I check that in the morning, I'll recheck servos, re-check pitch ( right now it should be at 11/11), then spool up and blade tracking. If that goes well, the maiden when it gets a bit warmer. Maybe in a couple days.

I will video the spool up and tracking tomorrow, and give my test stand some exercise :party::chickendance::party:

Thanks for the props and liking the pictures. Its not me, lol, its the camera. A Canon VixiaHF40 1080P with 16Gb flash drive. $900 with a few accessories, and well worth it.

Adam

great job and I agree i wish i went with align instead of the clone just for the quality but i had no issues with mine but i really think that for the electronics you get with that kit it is almost a no brainer lol. Keep it up will be looking for a maiden flight video

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
but its gotta have a lense though.. lol what is it? :D :D

I just wished I had my 450 to show what I did... :D lol

murankar

Staff member
Hate to say it but it most of it is the user when it come to cameras. It kinda like the "just because you have air jordans does not mean you can play basketball." The over all quality of the pics will be in the lens and some of it will come from the body. Anyhow keep up the good work.

Morelight

Fearless Freep

That is a big loss Gaba. :( Jeez. Look there is no way you can't find it. If its not there, someone saw you lose it and found it after you went to work that day. People watch people in their neighbour hoods, some make a day of it.
What I hate is they will go look for it and not return it to you. Personally, I would take a fan rake, a grass trimmer, start at low grass and trim that whole bloody field until I find the heli, or all the grass is cut. Can't imagine the property owner would complain about free landscaping.

Here are the lense specs on my camera sir: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HF-M40-Camcorder-Review/Hardware.htm

Morelight

Fearless Freep

That missing 450 is a big loss Gaba. Jeez the mods you put into it. There is only one way to know for sure if someone saw it go down and found it after you left. This is what I would do. Take a grass trimmer, and a rake, and slowly trim down that entire area until you find the bird, or do a solid to the property owner and cut all the grass. Trim a bit, then rake it back behind you where you know the heli isn't. Get some people to help if you can.

Here are my camera specs>>>>>> http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HF-M40-Camcorder-Review/Hardware.htm This was my first video camera, and they are very impressive. TV studios use them in the field because of their broadcast quality, and relatively low cost.

Top Bottom