450 Trex 450 FBL and 3GX Setup

Cloudyifr

I am a newbie, okay I've flown a few circuits several years ago with my Trex 450 flybar head. I thought about seeing if I can really learn to fly this thing and converted the head to a Tarot 450 FBL and an Align 3GX Gyro. I've been through all five setup videos, very nicely done by the way. Anyway, I'm all done but something just doesn't seem right. When I go into DIR mode the swashplate is level. But when I just plug the battery in as if I'm going to fly then the swash is pointed forward.
What have I missed, any suggestions where to look?

Thanks
Curtis
Montana

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like you are on either version 3, 4, or 5. Mostly 3 though. My suggestion with the 3GX is to downgrade to version 2.1 and stick with it. And make sure when you plug the battery in that the helicopter is sitting level.

Cloudyifr

Tony, is this the famous Tony in the videos? Cool!

The gyro was purchased used and is on v5.0. The lowest version I see is 3.0, is there somewhere else where I can download version 2.1?

I'll report back with my trials and tribulations.
Thanks
Curtis

- - - Updated - - -

I found 2.1 on your website! Thanks.
Stby for results.
Curtis

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I'm the guy in the videos. But I'm not sure about "famous" lmao. I'm just a dude that likes helping people.

And cool deal that you got it sorted out with 2.1. 5.0 had the swash issue as well as a really bad tail issue. 4.0 had a really bad tail issue, but fixed the swash issue. 3.1 was horrible on the ground and many people had issues with the helicopter tipping over right before take-off causing a blade strike and some damage. 2.1 is the only one that I remember not having any kind of issue. It could sit on the ground and idle without tipping over and when in the air, the tail was predictable.

Keep me posted on how it goes. I have thought about doing some more 3GX videos for those that still have them. Somehow, they are popping their little head back up and more and more people are running them. So it may be time to go ahead and revamp the 3GX series for those that are still running them. Let me know what you think.

Smoggie

I had ok results with V4.0 software, but V5.0 didn't work for me, the head gains were much too low. There was a tail issue with v4.0 (slow/lazy wag) but it was easy to fix by reducing 'rudder locking gain' from the default of 70 to about 40 or so. V5.0 couldn't be fixed, head gain was too low even with the pots maxed out.

To be honest though it would be better to buy a $25 Kbar, it would save a lot of hassle and frustration.

Last edited:

Cloudyifr

Okay, so I'm up and running. Now I need to get this new Tarot head taken apart and put back together. Too many loose items upon arrival and I want to ensure it's loctited and tightened up. Then once this so far 4th coldest on record Montana winter gives me a warmup I'll spool her up and see how she flies.
I'll be back, in awhile.
Thanks for the help..you saved me countless hours of frustration!!!

Curtis

Cloudyifr

So I assume that as in the video you say the Flight mode Parameter 2 page is used to write to the gyro but with Version two I would use Flight Mode Parameter 1?
Is there something to change in Parameter 2? What about the Rudder parameters or Movement Speed?
My goal is to not crash and perhaps one day do a backwards figure 8 slowly. I'm not a 3D guy.

Thanks
Curtis

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest though it would be better to buy a $25 Kbar, it would save a lot of hassle and frustration.

Thanks but I just purchased this gyro so I'll have to give it a go. I'd imagine I can get it to work for normal and backwards flight, I'm not too interested in 3D flight.
Curtis

Tony

Staff member
Quite honestly it has been so long since I have programmed one of these I can't remember what is in the parameter menus. Can you post a screen shot of what you have questions about?

Cloudyifr

Here's the options I have set.
Any suggested changes?
Thanks
Curtis

PS I'm off for a three day Nordic/Snowshoe vacation; home in time for what I hope to be a great SuperBowl!

FM Para1.JPG

FM Para2.JPG

Movement Speed.JPG

Rudder.JPG

Setting.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Those settings look right to me. Man I need to get the 3GX back into a helicopter lol.

Cloudyifr

Awesome! Thanks.
15 below this morning so vacation and not flying models; supposedly the last of the cold. Brr.
Curtis

Tony

Staff member
Oh I highly doubt it's the last of the cold lol. At least here, there always seems to be another one lmao.

Top Bottom