Micro Trex 150 - thoughta

:drink26:

- - - Updated - - -

Damn tablet doesnt cooperate sometimes.

Thinking about picking up a Trex150, metal head, cf frame, brushless motor. Im thinking that this is similar in size than the nano, a tad bigger but more funtionlity, agility, and power?

Is it worth getting one

Smoggie

The Trex 150 like many micros seems to bring out polar opposites in opinions.
My experience with one was terrible. It was very tricky to fly (like most helis of it's size) compounded by it being ridiculously tail heavy which you cant do anything about. Worse though is was very fragile and horrendously difficult to work on. Mine spent most of it's life on the repair table and was a total money pit. Flight to $ it was far and away the most expensive heli I've ever owned, and that includes all my 700's. In the end the main MRS control board packed up and those things are so expensive it just wasnt worth repairing. So it sits as a shelf ornament to this day.

Perhaps others have had more luck?

KLA

The Trex 150 is a little bigger than the NanoCPX. It's about the same as the mCPX. I've never had one, but have 2 Blade NanoCPX ''s and 3 Blade mCPX's, 2 V2''s and 1 brushless, and I can tell you from experience that the mCPX can really take a crash. Most of the time just pick it up, flip it over and fly away. It can also be a pain to work on cause of it being so small, but unlike the Trex 150, it isn't very expensive to maintain. Blade micro parts are very inexpensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Smoggie, have you ever tried Mega Micros to get your control board fixed? Usually, no matter what the problem is, he will fix the boards for $25 plus shipping. If interested, I will try to find a link to him.

I bought a used one in pretty good shape, order new motors for it and some other items.

I wanted something bigger than the Blade Nano but smaller than the Blade 230s that had 3D capability without power issues. This seems to be a good choice. I bought the Walkera VD012DS but never had any luck with it. I can fly/flip/roll the nanos but no luck with the Walkera. I honestly believe the settings were not right and i dont want to mess witb it anymore.

Tony

Staff member
Check out my videos on the 150. I love the little thing and mine can take a crash. Except for when I slammed it into a house lol.

Check out my videos on the 150. I love the little thing and mine can take a crash. Except for when I slammed it into a house lol.

Damn, you have everything i need in youtube.

I bought the heli for 100, and have basically ordered everything to upgrade and replace parts. This 150 looks alot like the walkera but built and flies so much better.

HML15M01 150M Main Motor set
HML15M02 150MT Tail Motor Assembly
H15T002XX 150 Tail Boom (Revised Version)
HD123E 120 Main Blades-Orange
HQ0233D 23 Tail Blade-Orange
HSP15001 DS150/155 Servo Gear Set
H11021 H63 Bearings
HC1501 150 Painted Canopy

3 sets Microheli Metal Gear DS150/155 Servo - T-REX 150 DFC
Microheli CNC Performance X Frame package (RED)
Microheli CNC Delrin Main Gear w/ Hub set (RED)
Microheli CNC Aluminum Swashplate Leveler (GOLD)
Microheli Airbrush Fiberglass Angry Bird LOGO Canopy

I hope i dont revret putting this much money into a micro

Smoggie

Good luck with it.. I did also go down the upgrade route with aftermarket frame, swash, canopy, landing gear, boom, blades.. For me it was just money down the drain but hopefully you will have more joy.

murankar

Staff member
Not much of a micro fan myself. I have a 180CFX that has been on the shelf for some time now. I am in no hurry to get it flying right now. It needs about $60 worth of parts to get airborne again. EVery crash is a repair job, just about. My Goblin 570 is so much better in a crash. Even my Gaui X3 crashes better than the 180 CFX.

Smoggie

Is it possible to to an Ikon Mini in one of these?

Maybe not totally 'impossible' but certainly very very difficult. One big problem is that it has a tail motor drive rather than a servo controlling tail pitch. You would need to have a seperate ESC for the tail motor with reversing capability which could be controlled off the servo channel of the FBL. I'm not even sure such a thing exists small enough to use in a Trex 150

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Adding the ikon as well as two ESC's would make the helicopter too heavy. Not to mention way too expensive.

KLA

Yes, I agree with Tony. If you're lookin for a BL main motor and self leveling you would be better off with a XK K120. It's about the same size as the TREX 150 and it's Futaba compatible.

Last edited:
I rebuit the 150 with all new parts from Nexrc. Only issue is that when it spools up, the tail spins HARD counter clockwise. I tried reversing the tail blade and its worse. Switching gryo to normal doesnt fix it. Seems to be plugged in correctly. Gyro is setup on switch B with rates.

Any suggestions would be great

KLA

Does the tail only spin hard on spool up? How does the 150 handle once you have it in the air? If it is only on spool up then it could be spinning as a result of the initial torque when you first spool up.

Tony

Staff member
If it's spinning fast, then the tail is blowing air out the left side and not the right. So the gyro is trying to counter the torque and it's working against itself. Trust me, reverse the plug, it will do just fine.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure to put your tail blade back on so the trailing edge is facing the right if you have not done so. Then, go out and get some video of it flying :biggrin1:

Top Bottom