travel rate

What is travel rate? Ive been hearing it all over the place.Some aircrafts say that i need to adjust the travel rate, things in transmitters say travel rate.I lost here

Tony

Staff member
Never heard of travel rate unless they are talking about expo. There is travel adjustment, and that is just what it states. You use it to limit or extend the servos max travel.

if it is just expo setting .... that will be simple enough.I think any aircraft expo(travel rate) is a automatic thing because everyone handels things differently

RandyDSok

Ok... Rates are one subject and Expo is another though they are often found on the same "page" on the transmitter. There is another term that is related to rates but slightly different called EPA or end point adjustment.

I'll start with EPA since rates are a percentage of this. Servo's will often be able to travel ( have more throw ) than what a particular control surface ( aileron, elevator, flap rudder throttle etc ) can actually move. Since you don't want the servo to travel too far and bind up... you can limit how much the servo moves so the sticks don't over drive them. Most radios, if these are set to 100%, don't actually move the servo itself 100%... so you will often see them be able to set the EPA up to 135% ( Futaba ) or 150% ( Spectrum, JR ). Both the 135% and 150% is actually about the same movement, just a difference in how each radio references the amounts. So each radio, even of the same brand, will move a servo a different amount... For instance, a DX6 doesn't allow near as much servo travel as a DX7 or DX8. I believe Spectrum has a different name for EPA, but the function is the same either way. Increasing the EPA will also provide more resolution for your servo, so you always want to set this to the highest value you can.

Rates are simply a percentage of the total throw a control has... in otherwords a percentage of the EPA. When you don't personally want the full servo travel that the EPA allows... you setup rates to limit the travel. Often most of the better radios have dual or triple rates available.

Expo on the otherhand is a way to have your sticks either more sensitive or less sensitive in the center area that you are moving them in than in the outer portions of the stick movement. Usually most pilots will set their expo up so the response is less sensitive in the middle of the stick than when its moved further out on the stick. This allows you to make more subtle adjustments to your control surfaces but doesn't limit the total movement. Again, different brand radios refer to expo slightly differently so you need to read what your radio's setup is... For Futaba, a negative number is less sensitive in the center of the stick and on a Spectrum a positive number is less sensitive.

Top Bottom