Trainning Day 1! Almost a success

murankar

Staff member
Sorry no big crash story just a broken tail servo mount.

Today I started with flight school, scooting on the ground and such. The wind was not to bad but blowing, I would guess about 5 mph. Sun out and a nice blistering 36* degree f. Got everything set in the lot and started shaking, not as bad as yesterday and my thumbs actually moved some. Anyhow the first half of the first battery seemed alright getting settled in spooled up a few time and dialed in some trim. Got some air not much just enough to call it airborne set it down and scooted back to the white arrow. I had a hard time with going right, of course this is natural, I was afraid of the blades making contact with the ground and training gear getting caught on the cement. None the less I pushed on.

During all of this I forgot to switch to hh mode, the tail seemed stable. After switching over to hh mode things started acting different. First the tail still wags a lot, went in to gyrosense and turned it down to 53% and re-spooled and it appeared it did not help any. I don't know if this is because I am still on the ground or if it is the gyro or maybe the servo. Anyhow I got back to scooting on the ground and get air a few more times nothing major just a few inches off the ground. At this point I had been flying for about 6 minutes of actual flight time.

Battery change round 2! I start by doing the spool up drill. Still having a real hard time with the tail wanting to go right with initial power, I think due to lack of power to the tail at the very beginning. Eventually I decide to go back to scooting on the ground and for some reason I had the hardest time with the throttle. Now I am using the 45, 47.5, 50, 75, 100 settings because of the wind. For some reason the motor wanted to give to much power in the range on 50 - 75. Mix this with the wind and I was like wth. So I start over and put it back on the arrow, fix the orange ball and re-insert one of the legs back into the center piece, and did a quick once over to make sure nothing is rubbing on the main gear or motor. I managed to have this power thing happen two or three times on this battery. Canopy back on, walk away, flip off T.H. and begin again with spool up. To my dismay the heli starts dancing like an ice skater spinning to earn a perfect score. Switch to T.H. and walk over to the heli and to my surprise, my tail servo is almost on the ground hanging there.

Before I went out I did adjust my expo to 30 from 35. I felt that I had to move the stick a lot to get anything to move. Since a was a basket of nerves yesterday I probably was not moving the stick that much but thought I was going full range. I had almost no issues on the first battery with this setting, got the heli to scoot when I wanted it to. Anyhow, that is my story for today and now time to order another mount.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
ya, i thought they were better! being metal and all. I will have to find a plastic one they. it could be cheaper too.

Top Bottom