Videos Tony's 250 Quad Videos

Tony

Staff member
I figured I would make a thread to put all of my random videos that I make with this little guy. So far, it's been challenging, but fun.

In this video, I have adjusted down the P and I settings in the gyro. This was flown on atty mode, and I was trying out limiting the quad to 35º total pitch. For those wondering, do NOT do this lmao. I would say a minimum of 45º, or just keep it stock at 55º.

Now you are going to see quite a bit of shaking, and that was caused more by the combination of too little pitch as well as trying out 35% expo. So I kept over correcting. The wind was not that bad, but it felt like the quad kept falling out of the sky so I had to keep punching the throttle to keep it off the ground.

So I decided to fly in my back yard while taking a break from working in the yard. I finished my garden and was currently watering it, I cut up a bunch of limbs (lots more to go lol) and mowing all 2.5 acres of land that we have here. So I needed a break, and I decided to fly since the wind was pretty low.

Most of the cutting out was caused by the stainless steel grill that you see to my right. It was blocking the signal when I got out over the field. But all in all, it was a pretty good flight. Have a watch and tell me what you think.

http://youtu.be/vIw25rO7zac

EyeStation

Pretty smooth Tony. Looks like your oscillations are gone.
I really thought you were going for a shower in that sprinkler at one point.

Tony

Staff member
Haha, yeah I was trying to go slow and wait for it to move parallel to the garden but it was going too slow so I just went over it. I brought the quad with me to work but forgot the computer so I can't tune it.

It is better bit it needs a lot more work. Sure do wish I had the Bluetooth module for it. I have the app on my phone lol.

Stambo

Getting much better Tony.
I would probably call it quits on trying to tune the self level modes any further, just fly it.
Self level is like training gear, you use it until you don't need it any more.
Flying acro, rate, manual or whatever it's called in CC3D should be your goal.
It gives smoother flight, smoother video and a far better FPV experience.

Once you have tuned it to fly well in manual mode you will also find self level works much better.
We all tend to tune these backwards, me included, when we are learning.
All the documentation I have read says to tune in manual mode first, then tune self level, even the old KK2 instructions say the same thing.
Most of us when we get started with these are not confident enough to fly without self level so we persist in trying to tune with self level engaged and tend to get a little frustrated when it does not work properly.
The reason is it can not work properly until it is tuned in a manual mode.
Everyone I know that has switched to manual very rarely uses self level modes.
Mine is only there as a bailout if I lose video, I will probably never get to the switch quick enough but it is there. :)

Tony

Staff member
It's called Rate mode, or inner mode. But you are right, I have read the same thing. Just getting my feet wet with it and wanted some help with it. I have tried rate mode, and the thing is twitchy as hell! That is why I dialed in some DR/Expo in my Tx and it did help. Now, I just need to stick the goggles on and fly it in rate mode and start the real tuning. I was going to do that today, however the wind just would not cooperate. Someday, I will be able to fly again lmao.

Stambo

I would suggest just run a few more packs with self level on to get more confident with the FPV gear.
Get used to constantly moving forward, slowly at first but keep going forward.
Then at least you see what you crashed in to. :)
Don't try to hover, it is not as easy as a lot of people make it look, it will come with time.
Don't get too far away from yourself, if it does go down at least you don't have to look too far.
If you can, have a spotter so you know where to start looking. :)
It's like anything RC, the more time you give it the better you get.
The better you get, the more you enjoy it.
Have fun with it, it's addictive. :)

Tony

Staff member
No worry on the spotter, I fly right here in my yard so I can find it pretty easy. Hovering is not that bad, really none of it is that bad. Just trying to get my fingers back and used to flying. I only have 3 packs for this thing and don't have much extra money for more. I would like to get 3 more so that I can charge 6 at a time and have quite a bit of flying, then I can just parallel charge all of them again if I want to keep flying. But, that will come in time. I guess I could always stick the 2200's on there and fly longer if I wanted, but it makes the quad very sluggish. But still flyable.

Give me a bit and I will upload a video where I'm actually moving at a pretty good clip. Right now, just trying to stop my ears from changing my perspective. I might just start wearing earplugs or listening to pandora when I fly lmao. But this thing will be zipping around the yard shortly. I can assure you that. Guess I need to stock up on props and spare parts....

Tony

Staff member
Well, I had almost $20 in ebay bucks and decided to order new props. I purchased 4 pairs of 6030's and 4 pairs of 5030's. Need to get these CF props off the quad and try something with a little more give. And I am pretty sure I screwed the CF props up by the way I was balancing them. I was just testing, but don't think they liked it much. And I want to see if a smaller prop works a bit better. Only time will tell. Should be here by the end of the week. Oh yeah, more flying in my future. Much better than the last few years!!!!

Speaking of that, I think I have flown more this year than I have in teh last 2 combined lmao.

Stambo

I would be more inclined towards 5040s, you are running 2300kv motors right?
I am in the same boat with batteries, my 1500s died, I get 2 mins flight time now if I am really lucky.
I have 3 tired 1800s that I get about 4 to 6 minutes out of depending on how hard I fly.
Luckily I have a friend who gave me 3 more 1800s to use until I can buy some new ones.
He is flying a 4s rocket ship now. I want, I want, but cannot afford. :)
I can't decide whether to get more Zippy compacts or try something else.
Now that I am flying faster and harder they don't seem to last as long.
When I first started flying this thing I got nearly 9 minutes out of a 25c 3s 1800.
One thing is for sure, I need more batteries.
What can I sell.
Anyone in NZ want a Trex 500?

murankar

Staff member
If tour flying that hard you should look at 30 or 35 c packs. Get the amp output up a little or goto 4s pack. Either way you might want to get the amps up on the packs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Stambo

If tour flying that hard you should look at 30 or 35 c packs. Get the amp output up a little or goto 4s pack. Either way you might want to get the amps up on the packs.

One day when I can afford it. :)

murankar

Staff member
Batteries are a tough pill to swallow when buying them. I know I got at least $100 in packs that are good(I.e. 4 packs). I am already thinking of another 4 packs by years end just to have them. I just don't have the cash at the moment and may have to wait till tax time next year. I want to attempt to get the revolectrix packs next to give them a shot.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I'm running the 2300kv motors. the quad came with 6x3 props so I wanted to try the same prop, but in plastic (cheaper to crash) and keep the pitch the same and go 1" shorter and see what happens. I mean, for 8 props total (4 pairs), it's only $10. So it's not like I'm breaking the bank. But I may end up getting 5x4's pretty soon.

And I'm running the 1300mah zippy compacts and they are doing great on this quad. No issue at full throttle at all. Even though they are only rated for 5a above max motor pull. I took a chance on a cheaper battery ($10 a piece) and it's paying off. I do think I want to go with some 1400's pretty soon just to get the flying time up, but may end up with 1500's, or 1800's. Just not sure yet.

Taking my computer to work with me today. May not get any flying in but I will be able to change some settings in the quad while I'm sitting around bored as hell. May even put in some job applications so that I can start moving again. This is getting ridiculous.

Tony

Staff member
Props will be here Friday. Sucks that I have to make a run to Little Rock Ar. that day... Or that is what they are saying anyway. It's even more amazing seeing as I don't have a truck to haul the load. I guess I'm just supposed to haul the trailer with 7000 gallons of methanol on my back...

Tony

Staff member
The first video in this thread is an fpv flight. You can also see my first one ever by going into the quad section and looking in the stickies.

Top Bottom