Setups To wifi or not to wifi

Derek

I've been wanting to order the HK Turnigy HD camera for a while now. I just noticed that HK is going to release the same camera but with wifi soon.

Would the wifi be beneficial or not?

I've heard that the wifi can interfere or "walk on" my 2.4ghz radio control. Is this probable?

pvolcko

Yeah, wifi may not play nice with 2.4ghz. I've run it before, but did not do any long distance flying with it (was within 20 ft of tx the whole time) on a 350Qx flight. wifi was clobbering the 350QX's GPS entirely, so I ended up turning it off.

Tony

Staff member
I have two very powerful wifi routers here at my house, both running 2.4, and I have not received a single glitch.

Derek

...and here is my uncertainty... Paul says that the wifi from he has had issues with the wifi (I'm assuming from a GoPro) was messing with the GPS on his Blade 350QX. I've read threads about this happening and that is why the GoPro comes with a copper wrap that goes around the GoPro while in it's onboard case.

On the other hand, I've also heard what you are saying, Tony. Some people have no issues.

Odd, lol.

Derek

I just got a reply from a friend of mine and he says the range on the camera wifi is actually pretty limited. That being the case, he never uses the camera's wifi.

So....to help keep things simple (and save a few bucks), I'm just gonna get the camera without the wifi and we'll just move on. :)

Lee

I use the wifi on my gopro to adjust the settings on the camera through my ipod, then I switch it off before I fly.

Derek

ok....so we now have another one that is using the GoPro with the wifi "off" while flying. Is that because you are concerned that the wifi will/does interfere with your tx?

Lee

Yes, just from what i've heard. I'd rather not take any chances.
And theres no reason to have it on in the air anyway.
If you were thinking to fly it using the video to your iphone, that won't work.
At least not on the gopro, because there is a 3 second lag.

But having the wifi for non RC related things is awesome.
I use it to capture wild life photos, by setting it up then retreating to a hidden location and pressing the shutter when something goes in front of the camera.

sarconastic

I got my sj4000 without the Wifi, which is the same as the HK Turnigy branded model, and I do not miss the wifi at all. Just a simple plug in to download vids and your set. The wifi might be nice if your traveling and want to use Public APs to upload to a server or something but other than that it is just a battery killer.

Woody

Derek

Well, the decision has been easy to make. I'm gonna get the camera without the WiFi. Its not something that I'm gonna need , so why wait for it.

Tasajara

No wifi and 2.4gHz a friend tried it and the video has about a 2 sec lag and once he got out a few 100 feet he lost control. It walked all over the 2.4gHz and killed his signal.

Derek

Thanks Craig! I've definitely decided to go without the wifi. It just sounds like more trouble than I need lol

Top Bottom