To Part Out, or Not To Part Out. That Is The Question!

Tony

Staff member
I am torn between parting out my mcpx and getting something else, or just rebuilding it. I mean, this heli is why I fly the way I do. the mSR taught me how to fly, the mCP-X taught me how to fly correctly lol. It's hard parting it out.

My question is, should I part everything out for about $165 or put $70 into the heli to get it running again? Yeah, that's right, $70. I need landing gears, main gear (just flat worn out, it's stock lol) tail motor and boom (120sr), swash, blades and feathering shaft. This crap adds up very fast lol. All of that plus a new canopy (very needed, again, it's stock) is just shy of $70.

So what would you do? This heli screams and flies well for what it is. And with teh brushless motor, it's a monster lol. I'm thinking about taming it down a bit. Let me know what you would do. This could get interesting.

RMB677

My first thought would be the cost effectiveness, replacement cost vs. rebuild cost. I also note that it appears that you take pleasure in building and tinkering. Something to do while at work? Also availablity of parts. Seems when looking for parts they are frequently "out of stock" and you need to source from more than one vendor causing additional shipping costs, usually more than the part cost. And last but not least - senimental value.

Lee

I figure i'll never get what i think its worth. All the time and money i put into to it. So i'm going to keep mine. It just needs a new tail motor.
I have a CO5 motor still in the packet Tony if you want to tame it down a bit. And i have a working swash, main gear and landing gear. Not new but working.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
To get even a 130 you'll have to get more batteries ... 450 mah batteries are 8 bucks a price at heli direct (the right connector and everything)

You will need to upgrade the tail pitch slider sometime... It's not that expensive but about 20 bucks.. And a metal A gear which is a needed eflite upgrade ... About like 9 bucks..

The bird itself you can find one used for 200 with some goodies or even less sometimes 180-190.. All in all you'll be about 240 bucks to have some extra batteries and fly an crash ;)... Gears are dirt cheap ..

Look at it like this .. It'll be 70 to 80 after you sell your mcpx to really OWN a 130.. But .. It'll be a great bird!! And you'll not miss flying big birds.. It seriously feels and flies like a big bird. Reward is great but then it is an investment. ;)

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I think I would be a little torn a part to. I quess it depends on how much you like it. Only you could determine that. If it were me, I would keep it and buy the 130 too. But, I have the option of flying inside a gym all winter too.

zenmetsu

Yeah, keep would be my first thought; you'll always have another heli to fly in case you are grounded with others.

Hell, you could probably start a fund here and people would chip in to get it flying again.

murankar

Staff member
we tried that and he put the money back into the forum. He will not take money unless you buy something.

Tony

Staff member
Keep it and fix it. Even after a part out the 130x is still going to cost ya some cash.

Your right, it will still cost me some cash but not as much as buying it outright.

My first thought would be the cost effectiveness, replacement cost vs. rebuild cost. I also note that it appears that you take pleasure in building and tinkering. Something to do while at work? Also availablity of parts. Seems when looking for parts they are frequently "out of stock" and you need to source from more than one vendor causing additional shipping costs, usually more than the part cost. And last but not least - senimental value.

To fix it I'm looking at about $70. The 130x is about $250 (I think) and I can sell the parts for "MAYBE" $125. So in the end, it would be cheaper to fix it, but then I would have the total cost of the 130x on top of it. This is what has me torn.

You are right that I love to tinker with things, but my eyes are starting to go south on me and these tiny screws are killing me lmao. As for sentimental value, there is none. It's just a really fun toy lol.

I figure i'll never get what i think its worth. All the time and money i put into to it. So i'm going to keep mine. It just needs a new tail motor.
I have a CO5 motor still in the packet Tony if you want to tame it down a bit. And i have a working swash, main gear and landing gear. Not new but working.

You are right about that Lee. With all of the hopup's I have on this thing, I will be taking a major loss no matter what way I look at it. As for the motor, I think I can tame this one down by lowering the T-Curve to about 65% and get to where the C05 is. If not, I may have to hit you up and see how that motor compares. The thing that really sucks about where you are and where I am is the enormous shipping costs. But I will let you know.

To get even a 130 you'll have to get more batteries ... 450 mah batteries are 8 bucks a price at heli direct (the right connector and everything)

You will need to upgrade the tail pitch slider sometime... It's not that expensive but about 20 bucks.. And a metal A gear which is a needed eflite upgrade ... About like 9 bucks..

The bird itself you can find one used for 200 with some goodies or even less sometimes 180-190.. All in all you'll be about 240 bucks to have some extra batteries and fly an crash ;)... Gears are dirt cheap ..

Look at it like this .. It'll be 70 to 80 after you sell your mcpx to really OWN a 130.. But .. It'll be a great bird!! And you'll not miss flying big birds.. It seriously feels and flies like a big bird. Reward is great but then it is an investment. ;)

Yeah, I have read a little about the upgrades this bird needs and it's one of the reasons I'm thinking about NOT getting it. Why in the HELL would they sell something that only flies when you upgrade it? Seems like bad business to me.

I think I would be a little torn a part to. I quess it depends on how much you like it. Only you could determine that. If it were me, I would keep it and buy the 130 too. But, I have the option of flying inside a gym all winter too.

I can fly indoors, I just have to be covert about it. So with that said, I will never do it. Flying out side in the winter is not that bad here in Oklahoma. We only have a few days that are too cold to fly.

Yeah, keep would be my first thought; you'll always have another heli to fly in case you are grounded with others.

Hell, you could probably start a fund here and people would chip in to get it flying again.

That's just it, I don't have any other heli's lol. The mcpx is it.

we tried that and he put the money back into the forum. He will not take money unless you buy something.

What URI said is true. I hate taking money for personal gain that I didn't earn. However as he also stated, I put it back into the forum. Maybe if I get the 130x by donation, I can do a lot of videos on it then it will be a part of the forum... hahaha. Sounds good in writing at least.

If you guys want to donate to the 130x fund, there is a donate button at the top of the forum. That money isn't touched except for the forum. I don't buy groceries with it, I don't put gas in my truck or camaro with it, I put it back into the forum. So if you want to donate, just know it will be right here in teh site and in new videos.

I want to thank everyone that replied. Just like me, it seems the majority of the people on here are as torn as I am. I'm not really in any rush to decide, so keep your comments coming!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Well don't get me wrong here :) bird flies great without upgrades. People just don't treat it like a full size bird.

Upgrade is not for performance it's for cost effectiveness. I am still flying stock just the pitch slide I upgraded cause plastic one new is 12 bucks and I broke one just replacing it.. Spent 20 bucks on the other and never broke it ... That's it :)

Don't listen to those posts of people griping .. They seriously don't understand that this is not a mcpx :)

Tony

Staff member
You know me, I don't listen to many people lmao. Just trying to figure out what way I want to go in this hobby.

murankar

Staff member
I feel that the 130x would be a better route to go. I saw Gaba flying it and to appears to handle the flying one would do on a 450. I have seen other videos of people really pushing this thing to the max.

Crashes are going to happen and with anything in this hobby it will need fixed. The overhead on this bird is; I feel, comparable to the mcpx.

Top Bottom