450 To all the 450 pro guys Need advice on a ESC and motor for a 450 pro build.

mousie

Hey guys just bought me a chaos 450 pro black widow and was wondering on a good motor and esc set up for this heli. I will be using the micro beast controller if that makes a difference. Any help appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
The motor and ESC that I suggest are the Align 450MX 3400kv motor and the Align 35a ESC. It's going to run you about a bill, but you can find deals out there for less. If you are wanting cheaper, let me know and I will hunt some down for you.

mousie

The motor and ESC that I suggest are the Align 450MX 3400kv motor and the Align 35a ESC. It's going to run you about a bill, but you can find deals out there for less. If you are wanting cheaper, let me know and I will hunt some down for you.

Tony, I have had good luck with my two other birds. One is running an exceed proton 40amp and the is a hobby wing 40. Whats your take on these? Will they work for my setup or should I be looking for more. Also thinking about the scorpion motors. What size I don't know.

Tony

Staff member
The ESC's that you posted will work. They are not as good as the Align 35 amp ESC's though. And yes, scorpion is a good motor brand, but pretty expensive. If you are thinking about scorpion motors, then you can forget about using the ESC's you mentioned.

murankar

Staff member
If your on a budget then what Tony suggested is a great starter setup. If you want to kick it up a bit then look at Scorpion motors I currently use 2 different motors from them; one is for a Protos Mini and the other is for a T-Rex 450 based model. For the T-Rex I have the HK 2221-8 3595 KV motor that runs at 45 amp max continuous power and put out about 400 watts. This motor is a solid 3S motor which may limit you if your looking at a 6S setup. Now for a 6s setup the Scorpion HK-2520-1880 KV motor at a mak of 1050 watts. Both motors are about $80 from scorpion systems.

As for ESCs one brand that is tried and tested is Castle Creations there is a large user base of this product on here. I have the Commander Series 45 amp from Scropion which will max out at 4S. If you have the cash (which most of dont now a days) then there is Kontronic, unfortunately I have not used this brand and can't speak for it.
[h=4][/h]

mousie

If your on a budget then what Tony suggested is a great starter setup. If you want to kick it up a bit then look at Scorpion motors I currently use 2 different motors from them; one is for a Protos Mini and the other is for a T-Rex 450 based model. For the T-Rex I have the HK 2221-8 3595 KV motor that runs at 45 amp max continuous power and put out about 400 watts. This motor is a solid 3S motor which may limit you if your looking at a 6S setup. Now for a 6s setup the Scorpion HK-2520-1880 KV motor at a mak of 1050 watts. Both motors are about $80 from scorpion systems.

As for ESCs one brand that is tried and tested is Castle Creations there is a large user base of this product on here. I have the Commander Series 45 amp from Scropion which will max out at 4S. If you have the cash (which most of dont now a days) then there is Kontronic, unfortunately I have not used this brand and can't speak for it.
[h=4][/h]

Ok Thank you. I think I will be going with Tony 's route. Will the exceed or hobby wing 40 amp work ok with the align motor you mentioned? Or should I go with align 35amp?

murankar

Staff member
Go with the Align ESC it was designed for the motor. Nothing against the other ESCs it just that the quality of those probably wont hold up to the Align motor.

cml001

Yep.. 450mx is plenty powerful using 3s... I love mine, doesn't bog and is just a good motor. If u were lookin at scorpion motors... Look at KDE... Several fellas round here fly them and they have a TON of kick.... But as with the scorpion... They cost.

mousie

Ok just got my new align 450mx motor for my new build and the pinion that came with my heli kit is two small to go on the motor shaft. Can my pinion be drilled out or do I need to find a new pinion for this bigger shaft and where is the best place to find one? Also no flat spot on motor shaft is that normal?

Tony

Staff member
No flat spot is normal on the 450mx motor. You can file a spot on it, but make sure the motor is in a plastic bag with ONLY the shaft sticking out. You don't want metal in that motor.

The shaft size is 3.5mm. I will bet your pinion is for a 3.18 (1/8") shaft. It can be drilled out, but do yourself a favor and spend the $5 on an Align pinion. I have them, and they are MUCH better than the clone pinions. I get all of my parts from RC Cars & Trucks, RC Helicopters & Planes - A Main Hobbies. Get some spare parts, where your cart is $25, and you will get free shipping. Tail booms, skids, blades, main and feathering shafts, linkage set, linkage end set and so on. You will use them eventually. Best to get them now and save on shipping.

mousie

No flat spot is normal on the 450mx motor. You can file a spot on it, but make sure the motor is in a plastic bag with ONLY the shaft sticking out. You don't want metal in that motor.

The shaft size is 3.5mm. I will bet your pinion is for a 3.18 (1/8") shaft. It can be drilled out, but do yourself a favor and spend the $5 on an Align pinion. I have them, and they are MUCH better than the clone pinions. I get all of my parts from RC Cars & Trucks, RC Helicopters & Planes - A Main Hobbies. Get some spare parts, where your cart is $25, and you will get free shipping. Tail booms, skids, blades, main and feathering shafts, linkage set, linkage end set and so on. You will use them eventually. Best to get them now and save on shipping.

Thanks Tony great advice. I will go that route.

Tony

Staff member
Roger that. If you have to make an order, I would swap that thing over to helical gears. Much harder to strip them out. You don't have to change the auto gear, just the main gear (comes in packs of 3) and the pinion that you already have to purchase. I ran an 11T helical pinion on a 121T main gear, but find the 12T pinion is a better fit, and is what is included with the kit. But 11 will give you a little lower head speed and more power to keep the head spinning. HOpe this helps.

Top Bottom