Spektrum TM-1000 - RPM sensor on brushless motor

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I did the same thing. Then I got the DX8 and stuck it on my nitro. Still trying to learn everything it can do.

ecruz64

Actually the Tx reads the exact rpm of the motor so there doesn't need to be an efficiency equation. It goes by the rpm of the motor, it's also a direct drive so if there is an accurate gear ratio, it can tell you within 100 rpm of what your head speed is. And it will display it on the Tx. I love the DX8 lmao.

FYI.
My trex-450 main gear = 121T
Pinion = 12T
121/12=10.08

Tony

Staff member
Perfect. Set your gear ratio in the DX8 to 10.08:1 and you will have your head speed on your Tx. I don't suggest looking down at it though when flying lmao. Most carbon fiber blades of GOOD quality, like the Align 3G or Edge blades are rated for about 2800 RPM max. Just FYI.

Krassewurst

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Just found this thread and it helped me a lot so first of all thanks for that!

Reading in my manual I should have the same settings as posted above.

Motor Gear: 12T
Main Gear: 121:
Motor: 6 Poles
Ratio: 10.08:1

I did set that in my DX8 but I get a RPM reading around 8800 when flying at around 80% throttle...

Anyone has an idea what the problem could be?

I added a picture of my DX settings. Heli is a new Align 450 Pro V2 DFC.

Any help would be appreciatedIMG_0469.jpg!

CHeers!

IMG_0469.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure why you are reading 8000. From what I can see and have read, your setup is correct. The 450MX has 6 polls, your gear ratio is correct, the only thing I would have changed is the max rpm. I would set that to 3500. 4000 is a bit much for a 450 head.

Correction to above regarding governor...the governor function is found on the align ESC...check to make sure your model has this feature and turn it on in setup. Read the manual for your particular ESC over several times as it can be somewhat confusing. It is done by putting the ESC into setup mode (turn on heli with throttle stick at 100% - obviously do this with blades OFF). Then as noted in the ESC manual, you'll be counting tones which are emitted from the motor (yes, it's the motor that emits the tones, not the ESC - believe it or not!). Anyway, read the manual several times, then give it a whirl. Since when you're in setup mode the position of the throttle stick will determine the setting for a particular function, you can't simply put it in setup and let it cycle through all the function settings without adjusting the position of the throttle stick. If you want to determine the current settings, listen to your ESC when you power up the heli in normal (non-setup) mode. The ESC (via the motor) emits tones indicating the various setup values. Confusing at first, but after you've done it a few times, it's not bad.

Top Bottom