General Tip over

treff

Hello all. Another newbie question I'm afraid. I have set up 450 with dfc head and 3gx to perfection zero at mid stick 11 degrees
up and down but soon as the heli builds revs for lift off it tips over. I reverted back to version 3.1 on the 3gx and fitted another
pad under the unit in case of vibrations but still it tips. It looks to me like the swash moves on its own without any input from
the stick. Any thoughts would be welcome. I'm pretty well at the point of refitting the old fbl head so I can at least get some
flying time in. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the curse of the 3GX. I have tried and tried to perfect what goes on in this gyro, and there is no correcting it. It's just not a good gyro for a beginner.

There are things you can do however. Make sure there are NO vibrations at all. Blades are balanced, shafts are straight, head block is not bent and so on. Other than that, really the only thing you can do is get it in the air as soon as you can before the spool up reaches top speed. That is what I have to do but again, not good for a beginner.

treff

Thanks Tony. Yes indeed cursed LOL by me anyway. Thought I could catch it but happens so fast..
I think I may save a few more pounds and go for the beastx just can not afford any more blades LOL
Cheers

Dirk

Hey Treff, get an Ikon! No, honestly, the 3GX is good, but a bit temperamental at times. I have not had any misbehaving on mine, even on V4.0.
If I had a choice I would put an Ikon on my 450 as well. So much easier to set up.

Treff, you are not perhaps touching your cyclic during spool up? That is a big no no. Flybarless units throw tantrums when you do that. You will have to get used to keeping your your cyclic still until you are airborne. A little difficult to unlearn some habits from your flybarred days.

Last edited:

treff

Thanks Dirk I will give that a last try when new blades arrive lol. I do tend to move the cyclic so that I can get good straight and slow lift. Yes
about the Ikon after doing a little reading, seems to be the way to go.
Cheers

Dirk

That could possibly be the problem Treff. I spool my heli up without touching the cyclic and lift off. I don't "pop" it off the ground, but I make sure my lift off is positive. Once airborne you can correct for drift with cyclic.

Top Bottom