Time to upgrade

bigone5500

OH MAN!!!!! I tried a different SD card and renamed the .bin file by adding a 1 at the end of the filename. I plugged the card into the printer and about 10 seconds later I got a screen stating Ender 5!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!

bigone5500

Well I made some headway with it at least. My old screen is definitely toast. It shows nothing However, I now have to figure out how to fix my homing of the 3 axis. But!!! If I keep having too many issues, I'll send these boards back and get an Ender 5 Plus with BLtouch already installed. I ain't skeered!!!

bigone5500

Ok. I guess I'm going to complain then fix, complain then fix. I tinkered with the menu and found a setting called 'auto home'. I clicked it and the printer ... well... auto homed itself. The X, Y, and Z axes moved slowly to their home positions and made the limit switches and all were happy. I did however have to remove one of my clips as the X hit it. I need to load up my filament now and see if the E axis is going to be backwards as so many have complained about. That is fixed by re-pinning the connector at the stepper. I have to take 1234 and repin it to 4321.

This thing is absolutely great now. The steppers are at least half as noisy now.

Tony

Staff member
Sometimes you need to yell at something to make it work like it is supposed to. Kind of like being in a management role hahaha. Glad you got it going, and yes, the steppers are MUCH quieter. But I did not have to repin anything on mine. Weird.

bigone5500

I thought my new display was messed up and realized that the stock ribbon cable has a silver wrap on it which is obviously conductive. It was touching the pcb and making it garbled.

bigone5500

Tony can you verify which is pin 1 you should have the same connector on your extruder and I need to be sure I'm pinning it correctly. My initial thought is that if I remove the pins then do a 180 with the plastic plug then I should be ok. Right?

20210727_151711.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I would assume that is correct. The reversing. However I have never had to do this so I'm not 100% sure. I will see if I can remember to post a picture of mine here in a bit, or after work. On lunch right now and about out of time.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I looked at my extruder plug, and it is exactly like yours. Every wire the same with white writing on the solid side, no writing on the open (clip in) side. And my ring is on the same wire as well. And I didn't change anything about the plugs but move them over when I put the 4.2.7 board in.

8D80504F-7DBF-4BDB-830A-6846FC36FB99.jpegA600DF9C-558B-4E34-9654-63236FADC673.jpeg

bigone5500

I went ahead and swapped the wires in the housing and now the extruder works correctly. I leveled the bed but now I have issues with the Z axis. I saw on the Amazon reviews that some are having the same problem with incorrect steps in the G code.

I also found these on there and thought the may be handy.

Amazon product

bigone5500

I did not have to repin anything on mine, it was a direct swap. In fact, the plugs almost ended in teh exact same place, with the exception of the extruder fan. That plug is just slightly off.

I did not purchase the one that you purchased, I actually went out on a limb and purchased the touch screen combo. There were only 4 reviews and most were bad. But, it's amazon, if it doesn't work, I get my money back. Well, I installed it, and it just works (after I located the correct firmware that is). I also put the CR Touch on there as well, which OMG... I should have done WAY sooner.

I did get the dual drive extruder as well, but took it off since the ratio is so far off, and it was digging into it's own body. Below are all of the parts that I have put on it this time.

Amazon product
Amazon product
Amazon product
Don't buy this
Amazon product
So how do you like the CRtouch?

Tony

Staff member
I thought about getting those clips. They are supposed to keep tension on the bed better than binding clips, and they don't have that curled over part. Less to snag.

As for the CR Touch, I'm LOVING IT!!! Best investment I have made on this printer. And, since you have the 4.2.7 board, it has a dedicated port so it is literally plug and play once it's mounted.

As for the Z axis steps, I'm not having any issues that I know of. I have printed some rather large files and they are all great.

bigone5500

One thing I absolutely love, and is not mentioned very much, is it has a MICRO USB port now.

Currently I am investigating my Z steps/mm setting. Apparently it is supposed to be 400 and not 800. I'll let you know what happens.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I like the USB upgrade, but do wish they used type C as Micro USB is quite flimsy.

bigone5500

Mere seconds before the test of M92 Z400.0. That's half of what it was. We'll see. I'll have my hand on the power switch. LOL!

Tony

Staff member
I did make mention of the USB port in my post about my upgrade.

And yea, definitely be ready to kill it. Nothing worse than a stripped belt.

bigone5500

Nothing out of the ordinary happened. However the change didn't make any difference. It's time for my 'complain then fix' method.

Top Bottom