General tiger moth, my first build

lestermo

I am building a tiger moth 35" wing span. I am planning on using MPI EPU-6, a 9-7 prop, MX-9208 Micro ESC all from MPI and a 13C 2S 1320mAh 7.4 LiPO Battery, as suggested in the plans. I am kinda lost about receivers and radios, I would like to have a radio with 4 channels (I know I only need 3 with the tiger moth) that I could use it with other planes, bind and fly type stuff if possible. I have been thinking about getting a super cub offered by hobbyzone, with spectrum components. If I want to use the TX that comes with the cub and the tiger I am building I would need a spectrum receiver installed in the tiger, correct? But, the way I understand it the ESC is incorporated into the spectrum receiver. How do I tell which one I need if ESC, motor and battery are supposed to all match up?
Basically I want one TX to use with other planes just not sure how to go about it with out spending alot of money. Although I have learned that you can spend it now or spend it later.

Tony

Staff member
You may only need 3 channels, but my suggestion is get AT LEAST a 6ch Tx. I HIGHLY suggest the new DX6. It can hold up to 250 models in it's memory, has a wireless trainer and is the newest 6 channel out there. And at $200 (less if you really look) it's a great buy. However, if you want to save a little cash, you can go with the DX6i, which is model that the DX6 replaced. You can still find them everywhere, and you can get them for about $120 or so with an AR6210 Rx. Again, very good Tx, but this one only holds 10 models in it's memory, you have to use a cord for the trainer (unless someone else had a DX6, DX9 or DX18).

If you have a little more money to spend, take a look at the DX7s. It's a little aged, and only has 2 position switches on it, but it's 7 channels. Not sure on the price of this one off the top of my head. But is again, a good Tx.

The Tx that I just sold, and again, a little more expensive, is the DX8. I LOVED this Tx. It can hold 30 models (so can the DX7s), has 3 position switches and is just a great Tx. But like the DX7s, it's aged.

The Tx that I'm running now is the DX9 Black Edition. The standard DX9 will do everything that the Black will do, it just doesn't come with a case to put it in. I don't know that I will ever need the features that the DX9 is capable of, but if I do, they are there.

In closing, I would highly suggest the DX6 just because it's newer tech, especially if you are going to stick with planes. If you are going to do helicopters, more specifically 550 size and up, then you need at least 7 channels so that you can utilize the governor function.

And most come with Rx's. The ESC you just need to match with what the motor pulls, and the battery should be just slightly bigger in current handling power than the ESC. If you do that, then everything should stay cool to the touch, or just slightly warm. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom