Prop Three new student pilots

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone and hope you didn't eat too much. Well I can't say that, lost my 75 year old mind on Thanksgiving:help::banghead::nightmare::numbness:. And BOY I'm paying for it:bellyroll:. Well for the good news, this past Saturday morning at 730am, I took my three grandson's to the flying field. There thru previous arrangement met up with two friends, Tony aka fran11784 and another Jim who's also an excellent RC pilot. My grandson's got their first flight with the Apprentice STS my wife got me for my birthday in July. Tony had set up a buddy box and Jim was their IP. Once Tony took off and arrived at a safe height, Jim took over and guided them during that flight experience. All the boy's paid the upmost attention to Jim's instructions and are much better than me. The weather was overcast with guts between 5-8mph and they learn how to fly into the wind adjusting the throttle as they went. In no time they had it down pat:peaceful:. Very proud of them and can't thank Tony and Jim enough for the help. Tony took over and brought the bird in for a landing. Took a series of photos and text them to their parents, who were very happy that I was able to do this for them. My wife Paula had prepared a man size breakfast for some hungry new pilots. It was interesting listening to them talk about their flying experiences. And asked me "Papa when can we do this again". I had a real warm feeling inside. More training on the Apprentice required to include taking off and landing as part of their solo. Then will move on to the Cirrus SR22T and introduction to helicopters with a whole lot of practice on the simulator and actual flight time. When they're ready and only then the last bird to handle will be my flagship Hulk Jr. Best regards, Jim:onthego:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's awesome having new young pilots. Anything to keep the kids off their phone/computers and actually enjoy life as we know it. Good job Jim! :).

RandyDSok

It isn't that computers ( phones, tablets etc included ) are bad because they aren't... they are actually a blessing. The trouble is that the kids and even some adults have withdrawn from society into them like an addiction. I don't believe the computers are the cause of the problem, I think it's an effect of whatever is the cause. I believe there is some other cause that makes people want to avoid social interaction and computers allow that while still providing a distant connection.

I think there are multiple causes from a wide range of subjects, it isn't just one thing. Fast food is certainly an easy scape goat on this subject and an important one. We should start eating healthier foods no doubt. Schools lack of teaching the real fundamentals is another... they should teach how to solve problems, not how to answer tests. Some of the subjects the schools have dropped also explain the lack of social skills... things like art, music, sports, debate and others all teach us how to interact with each other.

The causes of people withdrawing into our compute devices are wide and multifaceted... This is not as easy as pointing at one cause of the underlying problems.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
It isn't that computers ( phones, tablets etc included ) are bad because they aren't... they are actually a blessing. The trouble is that the kids and even some adults have withdrawn from society into them like an addiction. I don't believe the computers are the cause of the problem, I think it's an effect of whatever is the cause. I believe there is some other cause that makes people want to avoid social interaction and computers allow that while still providing a distant connection.

I think there are multiple causes from a wide range of subjects, it isn't just one thing. Fast food is certainly an easy scape goat on this subject and an important one. We should start eating healthier foods no doubt. Schools lack of teaching the real fundamentals is another... they should teach how to solve problems, not how to answer tests. Some of the subjects the schools have dropped also explain the lack of social skills... things like art, music, sports, debate and others all teach us how to interact with each other.

The causes of people withdrawing into our compute devices are wide and multifaceted... This is not as easy as pointing at one cause of the underlying problems.
My bad and your right...society has changed :waa:

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone, these are strong words of wisdom coming from the "think tank" of our forum. And yes it's noted how many of us don't have that personal interaction like it should be. But there is hope yet for our young people. Let me share one with you:peaceful:. Michael one of my grandson's who learn to fly, prefers studying and solving math problems over video games. At age 14 taught himself Japanese from the internet and at 15 again on the internet college math. Learning the fundamentals is his main interest and experiencing the joy of flying was a slam dunk. Was able to put both elements together and gain a better understanding of flight. He wants to get a degree in mathematics and work for NASA. They say us grandparents spoil the kids, well "Papa and the kids went to Barnes and Noble". They love to read so I turn them lose and Michael got books on Algebra and Trigonometry. All my grand children know there is a balance between computer games and the real world. So we in our family are doing our part in preparing our future adults:peaceful: Best regard, Jim

Top Bottom