This Little Thing Ruined My Day....

Tony

Staff member
Take a really close look at the image below. I know it is a little blurry, but it is very small. This little guy completely trashed my day.

What you are looking at is the broken off head of a rivet. Okay, that's not that bad, what's so bad about it? Take a closer look. You see what looks like a crater on the moon with some black stuff around it? That is a burn mark! And where did I find this little jewel? Well, it was under the PCB of a computer power supply!!!

It would have been bad enough if this thing shorted out the low voltage side of the PSU. It would have tripped off and after a power cycle it would have came back to life. But NO!!! It shorted out the HIGH VOLTAGE SIDE!!!!

I plugged that PSU in with it in a members computer and saw a very bright light, heard a sizzle and a pop and then nothing. It was stuck in there so I didn't hear it rolling around. Somehow, amazingly, I was not shocked by household current since I had the computer IN MY LAP!!! trying to diagnose this thing... Last time I do that crap lmao.

The worst part, this was a very good PSU that was in a computer that was given to me. Now I get to find the person that gave it to me and ask them if they remember dropping a metallic object into the friggin power supply!!!!!!!

IMG_1007.JPG

Top Bottom