Videos This is what became of my summer hang out.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah it was a great place to go in the summer. I read a 5 page article that was shared on facebook. Below the article was this video and thought I would share the video. I rode my first wooden coaster, my first steal coaster and my first inverted coaster in this park. I really was fun times. My biggest memory from here was hearing the song "walking on sunshine", I was standing in line for the log ride when my sister and I had heard that song for the millionth time that day.

Its a another use of FPV that needs to be publicized.

murankar

Staff member
Yep, once the two parks joined it was the largest attraction around. The ticket prices pretty much stayed the same. If they did go up it wasn't much. My favorite ride there was the big Dipper. When I was just big enough to ride it was the best thing ever.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
It was a sight to see. Sea world on one side and rides on the other. I drove by it a few years ago and saw what it has become. My favorite coaster looking like a lame horse with broken legs.

When I read the article from face book it took me back. All I can do now is watch videos on YouTube of this place. The locals still have not gotten over the park closure. I see if I can find the article and link it here in case you want to read it.

wolfman76

wow that really is sad matthias yes definitely link that article if you can find it i would like to read about what happen to a once beautiful place and i was trying to figure it out from the video and the old park map but what were all those suare box lookin thing by the lake ??? storage containers???

- - - Updated - - -

how far away from paramounts kings island was this park???

murankar

Staff member
Those were pylons for the ski lift ride that went out over the water.

What happened was Fun Time Inc (they made the park as i knew it) was bought out by six flags. Then some talk about Busch Gardens (Anhieser Busch, the beer guys) buying it then Cedar Fairs (the owners of Cedar point and a few others) bought it. Once that happened its rumored that Cedar Fair closed Geauga Lake because of Cedar Point. Cedar Fair wanted the customers to go to C.P. their flagship park. It was a messy deal. Let get that link.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...lake-how-worlds-largest-six-flags-disappeared

Last edited:

wolfman76

i found another video about the park they actually auctioned the big dipper off for 5,000 dollars WOW

murankar

Staff member
That was a huge steel. That coaster cost more that even back when it was first built.

Wish I had the 5 Gs and the space for that thing. It was a true wooden coaster. Very jerky on the turns and rough on the tracks. The best was the rabbit hills at the way back to the station. You would get light in the seat, very cool.

The other true wooden coaster they had was raging wolf bobs. It was taller faster and I think longer than the Big Dipper. It was also a joy to ride. Same as the Dipper, jerky corners and rough ride though out. Love the wooden coasters.

As for the steal coasters from my era; there was only 2, the cork screw and the double loop. It was not till six flags bought it when the other steal beasts moved in. That's when batman, superman and x-flight were added. Of those rides x-flight was my top ride. It was like you were flying. You got into the car, strap in and then have the shoulder bar come from over head. As the ride left the station it rotated so you were hanging from underneath the car.

The one ride that was really cool but not to exciting, unless you skillfully managed to get a bag of peanuts on board was the rocketship. Not sure of the real name but it was a ride that went in circles and the cars looked like steal rocket ships. The peanuts were the entertaining part. Toss them at passerbys. Really fun for a youngster.

In the video the pilot stayed mostly in the area where the double loop, log ride, old fashioned cars and the ski lift. He may have hit the area of raging wolf bobs. I would need to rewatch it. I think parts of the monorail were in that video also, near the entrance which would have been on the right side of the screen at around the .5 or .45 minute mark right before the first turn of the quad.

_----------------

Okay all those pylons were from the ride batman and some were from the ski lift.

Raging wolf bobs was the area right before the water park.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
XFlight15.jpg

The green coaster is x-flight, superman is on the left and mind eraser is in the lower foreground.

geauga-lake.jpg

The red and blue coaster not sure what the was but the yellow and purple was batman and the white wooden coaster in the op right was raging wolf bobs.

X-Flight Geauga Lake - YouTube

here is a crappy recording of x-flight

raypglrotor.jpg

The first time I rode this one I was like OH MY GOD. This ride relies on science to keep you thrilled. You walk in and stand next to the wall. Soon the ride starts to spin, FASTER AND FASTER AND YET FASTER. Next thing you know the floor is dropping from below your feet. Right behind it is the big dipper. My friends and I called it the h!!!! hole.

3228649856_6079b50f5b.jpg

The tower on the left was called the Sky Scrapper. I could see that needle from a distance. I remember sitting in the back seat and looking intently for the needle, thats how we knew we were close to the park.

sfo-circle_plane.JPG

My last pic of the night. The silver rocket ships that I would throw peanuts from. I think this ride was removed long before the park closed, in fact i think think it was gone right before Six flags bought the park.

I retract what I said about being removed earlier. Apparently I must have forgotten it was still there in the end. I just dont remember it int he later years maybe because the park grew so much that the other attractions distracted me.

XFlight15.jpg

geauga-lake.jpg

raypglrotor.jpg

3228649856_6079b50f5b.jpg

sfo-circle_plane.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom