Thinking of Going SSD

Tony

Staff member
My poor computer is on it's last leg and throwing random blue screens (BSOD). So one way or another, I"m going to have to rebuild it. I'm about 99% sure it's a mobo issue, and i have an extra 775 mobo laying around in another computer that I'm going to tear apart. Sadly though, the other mobo is not as powerful as the one I have now. But it will have to work.

with that said, I'm thinking about ordering an SSD (Solid State Drive) for the OS and applications. I will use my 1TB and 1.5TB HDD's for storage of all other material. I may even put the 1.5TB in my surveillance system, and raid 1 the two 1TB HDD's for redundancy. If you don't know what raid 1 is, the HDD's just mirror each other. If one fails, and they will, you still have all of your data and all you have to do is install another HDD into the raid and it will copy everything over. I would really like to go raid 1+0, but that would require 4 1tb drives. That will use each pair as a mirror, then take one side of that mirror, and combine the two drives. Theoretically, it doubles the speed of the HDD, but in actuality, it only goes up by about 60%. And just incase you don't know what RAID stand for, it's Redundant Array of Independent Drives. See, now you learned something lol.

With all of that said, I need to know if you know of any really good sales on SSD drives. They work much like a flash drive, and can boot a computer in about 10 seconds. anyway I need some good leads on SSD's and I need it soon. Post up what you have and I will have a look. And please don't post "Just go to newegg and get one". That's not what I'm wanting. I'm wanting links to specific drives. Thanks everyone for the help. It's been a while since I was in the game so to speak.

murankar

Staff member
look at newegg.com, they have a lot of great deals. If you do plan on going your route I would make a few choices first. Solid state does have more of a limitation on read write cycles over a hdd and they are costly. If you do plan on doing this I would ensure you move your page files (swap files) to a hdd instead of the ssd. This is to limit the read writes to that drive. I would also move the "My Documents" to a hdd also. This can be achieved through a registry editor or windows itself. I have done this before but it has been some time since I have, so I cant remember how I did it. I think it was through windows. your performance should improve a tad by spreading the work load of the drive over a many drives. One drive will be actively using swap while your main drive is actively doing its duty to serve you, plus swap does not need the quickness that a ssd would offer. I hope this helps you.

Tony

Staff member
And please don't post "Just go to newegg and get one". That's not what I'm wanting. I'm wanting links to specific drives. Thanks everyone for the help. It's been a while since I was in the game so to speak.

:facepalm:

murankar

Staff member
I live and die by crucial. Their products have been the best I used for memory. Corsair is another decent brand but a bit over priced for their quality and history. Crucial is a bit higher but when your talking os I want the best around. I have used crucial in two towers and a laptop that did not work when I got it (bad mem slot, shorted out the md if installed). I am also a fan of samsung, but have not used their memory type products.

Tony

Staff member
I was actually looking at an OCZ SSD. It's on sale, and being a 120GB for $120, I think it's the one I'm going to go with. Still looking though as well as checking out what you posted.

murankar

Staff member
I have never herd of ocz be sure to read the reviews. Like i said newegg does not sensor their reviews so you can get a good idea of how the product is.

Whirlybird

OCZ has been around for a while . . . I've used a lot of their memory . . . good stuff . . .

Your "RAID" will also kill any bugs your system gets :lol:

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
lmao. If I run my computer in raid, it will be 0. Mostly because I can't afford 4 SSD's to run 1+0 lol. I would love to just run in raid 1, but I have lost a lot of info by doing that before. Sucked.

Top Bottom