Quad Thinking about getting another mini quad

Derek

Right now, I have a ZMR250 with ImmersionRC FPV and I love it. It flies so well! However, I'm thinking about getting a second quad and I'm absolutely torn about what frame I'd like to get. I'd just like to get the thoughts of the RCH forum and maybe I can make a decision about what to get. Here are my thoughts...

1. I was thinking about getting a second ZMR250 with an identical setup. The one that I have was an easy build and it just works.

2. thinking about a Fossils Gravity 180. It's got a very unique look and no one around here has one (that I know of)

3. Maybe a Holybro Shuriken 180 BNF, from Gearbest. A buddy of mine has one and it's considerably lighter than my ZMR. His is very floaty and very speedy. A 3s pack on his 180 is quite fast but a 4S pack really turns the Shuriken into a screamin' demon.

4. ZMR also makes a 180 class quad. It's a compact frame and looks just like my ZMR250, just a bit smaller.

Now, I need the new quad to be 4s capable.

What do you guys think? Maybe you have a different suggestion for something that is 4s capable...possibly a bit unique.

Derek

hmmmm....30+ views and no thoughts nor opinions......that's unfortunate.

After some thought, I'm going to order the Holybro Shuriken 180. My buddy has one and I've seen it fly....it's a beastly little package.

Tony

Staff member
Don't do it, get another helicopter!!! lol. I never should have gotten into quads on this page, but live some learn some.

Those little 180's are supposed to be fun though. Small, agile and a blast for FPV.

Derek

"Get another helicopter!", he says, ha ha ha! In fact, Tony, I am getting another helicopter. I'm not going to share much about it until the build is done because it's another one of "my projects", lol. My brain will just never shutup and let me think "level headed".....my brain tends to wander off the deep end (remember the Albatross? lmao)

As for the mini quad....I've heard so many fun stories about the little 180 class quads. My buddy has one, as I've mentioned above, and it's just a beastly little package. For a while, I was thinking about getting that 130mm frame from Shendrones (can't remember the name) but I thought that would be a fun little quad to have. The thing that turned me off of the 130 frame was the fact that the arms had points on them. I dunno....it just looked "wrong".

Anyway....I'll be ordering the Holybro Shuriken 180, from Gearbest, real soon and I'll be ordering some new batteries, too. Gonna be fun!!!

Derek

Although I seriously wanted to get the Fossils Gravity 180, I decided to go ahead and get the Holybro Shuriken 180 from Gearbest. It's a DSMX BNF with everything on board (motors, esc's, fc, props, fpv). and now the wait begins

Derek

So, my new Holybro Shuriken 180 has arrived.

20170326_030301_zpsedqvsfei.jpg

I also order some batteries from BuddyRC....they sent me a few battery straps and stickers, too

8yNzu8

I had some troubles getting it all set up but a buddy of mine helped me sort it out. Now it's ready for the maiden. I'm very much looking forward to ripping around with this 180. My ZMR250 flies well and I have a lot of fun with it, but this Shuriken 180 is much lighter than my ZMR. Gonna be awesome!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

well, it would seem that my image insertion didn't work. I'll try to fix that

Derek

Well, I don't know what happened...I tried to edit the above post so that I could add my photos. The first pic, of my new quad, got inserted, but when I tried to insert the second image, I got kicked back to the "Forums" page. Whatever.

Here is a pic of my new batteries

20170326_030202_zps5ktcm7zr.jpg

I ordered three 4S 1300mah 45C packs. Unfortunately, they sent me three 3S 1300mah 45C packs. I called them and told them about the error. The guy on the phone told me that he would get my three 4S packs in the mail immediately. They showed up 2 days later. Just awesome! The guy on the phone said that he would send me a shipping label so that I could return the three 3S packs. I got thinking about it and I called him back and told him that I'd just pay for the three 3S packs and keep them. I just figured, since the packs were already here....why not just keep them. He gave me a discount because of their error and he sent the battery straps and stickers free. Too cool!!!

So, now that that the Shuriken 180 is ready to go, I'm looking forward to some flyable weather. Now, I have 4 FPV ships...two quads and two planes.

EyeStation

Looks like a great little quad Derek. Nice deal on the batteries too. I need to get some 4S for my Space 1 220 quad. It seems the draw is too great for my VTX to keep up with. I get video dropouts at 3 minutes in on my 1300 3s. I was happy to see your post on your 4S choice, as I did not know if I should change the mAh ratings when I do step up.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Derek, sorry about the issues. We had a pretty severe issue on Sunday with the database which has since been resolved. I do apologize.

Derek

Looks like a great little quad Derek. Nice deal on the batteries too. I need to get some 4S for my Space 1 220 quad. It seems the draw is too great for my VTX to keep up with. I get video dropouts at 3 minutes in on my 1300 3s. I was happy to see your post on your 4S choice, as I did not know if I should change the mAh ratings when I do step up.

Thanks man! This new quad is pretty cool! Because of the excessive rain, and ridiculous winds, I've only been able to do a short hover test. However, during that hover test, I was blown away with how much punch this Shuriken has on 3S...I can't wait to see what it does on 4S. If you are looking to get some 4S packs, I strongly recommend the Glacier packs at BuddyRC.com. They are so much better than any other battery that I've had over the years. I'm slowly phasing out all my other batteries and replacing them with Glacier packs.

Hey Derek, sorry about the issues. We had a pretty severe issue on Sunday with the database which has since been resolved. I do apologize.

Thanks Tony! Thankfully, BuddyRC was real cool about the mishap and they corrected the problem right away. As for the issues with the database....all I can say is, "Technology is great..when it works, lol." No worries....glad to see that the issues are getting resolved and hopefully things just run smooth now. Take care buddy!!!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey all. according to GearBest, they already mailed the quad and now it's time to wait. Last time it took 20 days to arrive. Next is purchasing batteries for this quad :).

Derek

Hi Dino....ive not been able to fly mine much because of the rain lately but a friend of mine has one too. Ive seen his rip up the skies. Pretty vicious machine! You wont be disappointed if you do get one. 3S and 4S ready. Its an amazing lil machine!

sneezy007

So, my new Holybro Shuriken 180 has arrived.

20170326_030301_zpsedqvsfei.jpg

I also order some batteries from BuddyRC....they sent me a few battery straps and stickers, too

8yNzu8

I had some troubles getting it all set up but a buddy of mine helped me sort it out. Now it's ready for the maiden. I'm very much looking forward to ripping around with this 180. My ZMR250 flies well and I have a lot of fun with it, but this Shuriken 180 is much lighter than my ZMR. Gonna be awesome!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

well, it would seem that my image insertion didn't work. I'll try to fix that

Hey Derek,

Thanks for the information. Is it ready to go as an FPV flyer? Above you mentioned setting it up. What kind of issues did you run into?

Cheers,
Dino

sneezy007

Just on the Fossils website, I like the looks of the Fossils Gravity 180. Very cool looking frame.
Looks like you have to buy all the components separately and do some soldering as well.

Derek

Yes, the Gravity 180 is an awesome looking quad and i almost bought it. I decided on the Shuriken 180 instead because it comes with everything installed...motors, esc's, fpv camera, and everything else is wired up into its own pdb board.

Once i got it, i took off the props for saftety reasons. There is a "Bind" button, so binding it was a breeze. I did have a bit od trouble getting the latest F3 firmware flashed but after watching a few youtube videos, the problem was resolved. Ill share a video later on that explains what troubles i had and how i got it resolved. Once i got the new firmware flashed, i just set up Cleanflight, calibrated esc's, and set the flight modes and then test hovered a very impressive machine. I just dont see how anyone can be disappointed with this sucker.

sneezy007

I was thinking of building the ZMR250 but it's much quicker if everything is done for you. A video would be great Derek. I'm not familiar with the whole flashing of firmware and Cleanflight. I have a Blade Mach 25, I didn't have to do anything of that.

Thanks,
Dino

Top Bottom