General thinking about a plane.

Tony

Staff member
It's going to depend on a lot of factors. Like amp draw. The more pitch you have in a prop, the more draw it's going ot have. The longer the prop, you have to look out for ground strikes.

On the RCH Trainer, you would use a 10x6 prop. I have also been known to use an 11x5.5 prop. But I have also put a 12x6 on it.

On my 50" Edge 540, the 3D blade is the 12x6, but the blade for sport flying is the 13x8.

The lower the pitch, the more rpm it's going to have. It's all very confusing when you are trying to find answers. All I know is you just pick an approximate prop, stick it on and check your static amp draw.

danhampson

With throttle curve?
I thought that it was like the heli that I could only reallly run a constant throttle of between 80-100%.
Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Derek

No, the throttle curve can be adjustable. I'm not experienced enough to know any benefits of an adjusted throttle curve. All my planes are set up with the default linear curve. Some of my planes fly well at half throttle. Some fly really well at full throttle. I've also had some motor gliders that I would use the throttle to gain altitude and then shut the throttle off and just glide around.

I don't know if this answers your question.

danhampson

Sort of derek. So I could run a straight curve from 0 to 80%
Its more the strain on the motor ESC and battery from out running above the magic 80% I was thinking about.

Stambo

I would have thought the easiest thing is to take a semi educated guess at what you need, put an amp gauge on, hold on tight and briefly hit full throttle.
This will give you max amp reading.
Compare that to battery, motor and ESC specs then change pitch or prop size to suit.
Then fly it hard for a few minutes, bring it down and measure temps of same.

Unless you have someone close to help you, RTF would seem the optimum answer.
Then you know it will fly straight out of the box.
That way you are not learning setup while learning to fly a plane.

Maybe something like this as a trainer.

damhdearg

Hey Dan a couple years ago I bought a Cloudsfly AXN from HK. I had to get it from the international warehouse and it all worked great.
That was my first and last plane, it was alot of fun though. I chopped of the dihedral on the wings and it became much more maneuverable.
Lots of build and flight vids on youtube. I hate to promote HK but that is a fun, cheap plane and you can get it from uk warehouse now.
Its supposed to be a decent fpv platform too.

danhampson

after reading all your advice and researching different models on the net i think that ive found a model that will be Ok.

its a parkzone sukhoi SU29-mm its a 44in wingspan acrobatic low wing plane with SAFE tech (which i think will help me to keep it level when coming into land).

heres the web page with the full specs Link.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

danhampson

i was in a car accident yesterday so im going to be off work for a while, so ive ordered a plane that will take me a bit of time to build while im off work.

So ive ordered a seagull ep edge 540 (42.7 in wingspan), 5 savox sh-0257 and a 1150kv motor. Ive already got a 60amp yge esc and a spektrum ar6115 and batteries.

heres a picture of the airframe.

5500545.jpg

I think i will be needing some help for you guys to set it up.

5500545.jpg

Last edited:

Admiral

Sorry to hear about the accident Dan, at least you will have something to do while you are laid up, the Edge is a great plane my son fly's one, you will just need to be very cautious when you start out, the 3D capability is fantastic but can get a you into trouble very quickly. Be very interested in the auto recovery technology, my sons has none of that must be an earlier version.

Top Bottom