General thinking about a plane.

danhampson

I've been thinking about getting a plane for a while a have made the decision to get one at the end of the month.

My question is what type of model should I look for? I would like to get something bnf for a first model just to take a lot of the messing about out of it as I know very little about them.

Tony

Staff member
If you can set a heli up, you can do a plane. It's pretty easy. As for what one first, um... My Trainer... hahaha. If you are wanting a BNF, then you are limited to Blade. Something with the AS3X is what you want, like The Beast or the like. I think there are some 3D planes as well. Yes, I'm suggesting 3D planes. You can fly your helicopter, so you can fly a plane. Simple as that.

Stambo

I have done it. The transition from heli and quad to fixed wing was quite simple.
You are already very familiar with the TX and that is a big help.
I started with a little 3 channel Hobbyzone Champ but I think that was a little too simple, however it is so light that less than perfect landings aren't an issue.
You can get an elcheapo 4 channel plane from banggood that I would have got if I had seen it.
F939
I now have the AXN from HK and at this stage with only 6 flights so far I am really enjoying it.
Although it might have to have a little rest as the Sunnysky motors for my FPV quad have just arrived.

danhampson

I've seen a e-flight micro edge 540QQ 280 BnF that falls with in budget, would this be OK or is it too advanced.

I'm going to use my dx6i for it has it got enough channels?

If I get into the plank thing I will have a go at one of your planes tony.

Tony

Staff member
The Edge 540 has a very low wing loading and floats very well. I think you will be fine with that plane. On the maiden flight, keep it flying and practice coming in for a landing. Flying is quite easy. Landing is where you get in trouble. And yes, your DX6i will do fine.

Admiral

I started out with the UMX Beast with AS3X after 20 years away from flying planks, it was a bit quick to start with although I have it under control now, I would go for the Ultra Stick or Mini Ultra Stick depending on the room you have to fly in.

danhampson

Ive been having a look around the net at planes and really like the look of the parkzone extra 300 PNP.
I've got a spectrum receiver and the recommended batteries are 3s 2200mah (which I have and can share with my 450 when it gets finished) everything else is included in the kit.

Just out of interest how true to life is phoenix (the plane side of things)?

I've been having a go at landing and final approach.

Is their a model on the sim that is best to practice with?

Derek

I think there is a lot of fun to be had from that plane...and since you are a 450 heli flyer, the 3S batteries should be easy to find.

As far as the realism of the simulator, I think you'll find that its very similar to the helicopter end of simulator flying. The sim is close but you'd really have to go deep into the settings to make the sim plane fly "exactly" like the real plane.

Tony

Staff member
IMO, Complete CRAP! You get what you pay for. If you get something from Horizon, and there is something wrong, they send you a new part. Something goes wrong with the HK crap, and you are stuck buying another one.

Derek

I have plenty of experience buying parts (electronics) from Hobby King and I have yet to be let down. Planes and helicopters on the other hand....I just don't know if I'd chance it. I know of a few, more experienced, people that have bought HK planes and they have had great success, after they had to make some changes/mods to get the control surfaces to work or something didn't line up correctly. I've also heard that HK doesn't have a very good Customer Service reputation.

Now, I have 13 planes...all scratch built. If I were to buy a "store bought" plane, it probably wouldn't be from HK.

Just my two cents.

Admiral

The only HK plane I have bought is the Mini Swift, build quality OK flew very well, while the plane itself was available in Australia the spare parts are only available from China so a spare Body & Wings with postage cost as much as buying a second one complete as spares. The E-Flites have all flown well out of the box and plenty of spares available locally.

danhampson

ive been searching the net and had a look at lots of different kits, ive also had a look through my parts bin and ive got a yge 60amp 3-6s esc, radio gear, 3s 2200 batteries and have found this Seagull Decathlon it comes with servos and the only other equipment needed would be 2 servo extensions a motor (3536/8 kv1000) and a prop (10x5 to 11x7).
ive found a motor that will fit.

can some body explain the thing with the numbers for the props and what effect that has on the aircraft.

Stambo

I am new to planes having flown mainly helis and multis and have just bought the AXN ARF from hobbyking.
I did lots of research first and all the info I could find shed a fairly positive light on this plane.
I am very happy with the way it flies but the only thing I can compare it with is my Hobbyzone Champ.
The AXN was said to be beginner friendly but enough plane to throw around as experience increases.
It will apparently take a 3s 2200 but I am flying mine on an 1800 and getting 20 minutes on about 900 mah.
I managed to set it up and get it flying with the aid of some very informative videos on the internet.
It also is capable of carrying my FPV gear which was one of my requirements while looking for a plane.
My next plane will be a scratch build RCH trainer made from coroplast, coreflute or whatever else it is called.

Derek

as far as the numbers on the props....if you have a 10x7 prop. That prop is 10" long and each blade has 7 degrees of pitch. I've heard it explained that the "7", in a 10x7 prop will move the plane forward 7 inches for every revolution, at full throttle. "Is this true?"...I don't know.

Also, a higher pitch prop is more likely to go on a higher kv motor than a lower pitch prop. You will see props like "8x3.8". That means that you have an 8 inch long prop that has 3.8 degrees of pitch. These smaller pitch props are usually called "slo-fly" props.

I'm sure there are more details that I'm missing but this will get you some explaination.

danhampson

so if i had a 10x9 prop and wanted the top speed of the aircraft reducing would i reduce the pitch of the prop (10x8) or keep the pitch and change the diameter (9x9)?

Derek

so if i had a 10x9 prop and wanted the top speed of the aircraft reducing would i reduce the pitch of the prop (10x8) or keep the pitch and change the diameter (9x9)?

ok, now this question is not something I can help with. I'm still learning that part, myself. However, I can tell you that a lower pitch prop will not "work" your ESC as much as a higher pitch prop.

Top Bottom