The Weekend From Hell

Tony

Staff member
If you guys are a member of my other forum, then you know the biggest challenge of the weekend that I had to face. If not, well I'm going to tell you.

The wifes car has been acting up for about three weeks, and I had no idea what the issue could have been. Last weekend I took the ICM and all 3 coil packs off the car and had them tested. All tested good. so I started poking around and could find nothing that was wrong. Then as usual I had to work all week and didn't have time to work on it.

This weekend I decided that either the car is going to run, or I'm going to set it on fire. One of the things that I wanted to check was the fuel pressure. If it was low, then that would cause the missing issue. So first thing Saturday morning after my coffee I went to autozone and rented the fuel pressure tester. Came back home, hooked it up, and at an idle I had 40lbs of pressure. crap. So, I unplugged the fuel pressure regulator and it jumped up to about 50lbs and held steady even when the engine was missing. Okay, fuel pump is perfect.

After talking to the wife, I decided to hell with it. ICM's have given a false positive on testing before, maybe that is my issue. So I went to autozone again and gave back the fuel pressure tester and purchased the ICM. Came home, swapped it out, same issue. Okay, now I'm looking for a way to get this thing out into my field, pour gas on it, and light it up.

In a fit of rage, I decided to just start unplugging crap to see what in the world was wrong. I unplugged the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, and the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. Got in the car and started it up. NO MISSING!. Okay, it's one of those three, and I'm pissed lol. I plug in the EGR, still perfect, I plug in the IAC, again still perfect. So, I leave the car running and get under the hood. I hold the throttle with my hand, and plug in the MAF, starts missing, unplug it, stops. I did this about 4 times and boom, that's the issue.

so after all of that, the missing issue was the MAF. I never would have thought that because the MAF gives off a code when it's not working. This time, I had a code for the EGR, and a random misfire code. That's it. And the EGR was caused by the random misfire. so after all of that, and about $220 in testing, I know what the issue is. Now, I just need to see if I can cash in a favor and return the ICM for the MAF lol.

Okay, after that I took a shower. Holy crap was it hot and humid out there. Then I had to get on here and do what I do best, type. I responded to a few posts, then realized that I had not put up a video this weekend. I decided that it was time to put up more than one, so I put up 4 lol. all of me flying last weekend.

Editing was simple since I was not putting any voice overs on it, it was just flying. Boring I know, but it was a video nonetheless. After I finished uploading the videos, youtube decided to be a little biotch on some aspects and I had to delete the Extra video and the mcpx maiden and re upload them this morning. So if you were wondering why it showed I uploaded them this morning, it's because I did lol. Oh well, just some of the things that I go through when you are into making video.

so after nothing but work on my days off, I'm sitting here ready to go to work.... Weekend wasted but it's getting better. Hope everyone has a great week.

Tony

Staff member
The only reason it's working is because the MAF is still unplugged lmao. This has forced the computer to run the engine in what's called "Speed Density" mode. In SD mode, the computer doesn't use the O2 sensors, MAF, nothing. It's running on a preset value that is running very rich and we are losing not only power, but MPG. Just need to come up with the money to get the new MAF. just one of those things with a 15 year old car lol. ugh.

murankar

Staff member
Well My weekend was not that bad, but today was a shocker. Standing in final formation I found out that I am being tasked out to shoot some pics for the Battalion. Wait theres more: It's the whole Battalion in one shot, with me 20 feet in the air.

ME: Hold on who discussed this with me?
PLT SGT: Um I was told to tell you!
ME: Did anyone every think to ask if I have the equipment for this shot?
PLT SGT: How hard can it be!

Really funny, still waiting for someone to jump out and say: "You've been Punked!"

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Chain of Command. At least you didn't get volunteered to take pics in Afghanistan. They expect you to get the shot with a phone?? You haven't seen Ashton K. on the base lately have you?

murankar

Staff member
No cant say that I have. This is the first time that I was "TOLD" i would take pics and not asked. Normally it would go something like: "Hey can you take some pics?" I shot an event and people think I am a pro. I wish I was a pro then I would have all the tools both tangible and non tangible. As far as a phone no, I do have an entry level dslr with two lenses and no skills with large groups. Well I guess suck it up and hope for the best, or pray. Imagine the coyote getting on both knees to pry just before the large rock crushes him. That's me.

Tony

Staff member
That D3000 will do fine. I would not hesitate to do it with my XSi with my small lens and a polarizing filter. Shouldn't be an issue. And don't you just love the military lmao.

Top Bottom