The value of forums

dwmoore

Years back, I flew sailplanes. ridge soaring in the Columbia Gorge. I had great days in the air...aerobatics and chasing hawks, sometimes just floating high above the valley floor. Recently, my wife wanted to get me a heli for my birthday. She had no idea what she started! Have spent far more money than she envisioned, but it's starting to pay off. Electric helicopters are awesome. Thanks to this forum and RCGroups, plus help from Ron Lund, I'm getting the hang of it. Lots of research, a few headaches, and plenty of tinkering have yielded a bird that promises to be quite entertaining, especially when I get good enough to put a GoPro on it! And there will be a second TREX in the hangar sometime soon.

Derek

That's a great story buddy! Welcome to the forum! Helicopters are a lot of fun and they definitely require the research, headaches, and tinkering, lol.

When you get time, post some pictures of what you are flying. We like to see what our fellow members are flying.

cml001

Paul is not joking! U r officially a crackhead... But!!!! Your fello rc pilots here are your HAA(heli addicts anonymous) counselors.. As you will be one for us as well.. WELCOME!

cml001

Long Horns.. I hear ya!

- - - Updated - - -

That's kinda funny.. Last night right before sun down we were at the inlaws new house.. Under construction.. But the property that beside them is a fenced field their horses use.. Little stable and all that.. So I fired up the 550 to fly in the inlaws front yard(2+ acre field). The 2 properties are narrow but deep.. So walked the fence to the middle and stand with my back to the fence/horses. I'm zip'n round and doin my thing... Horses(5of them) scared the crap outta me! I figured the noise would run them the other way.. Nope.. The came up behind me breath'n on my neck.. Ears perked up try'n to figure out what the sound was.. Was kinda cool.. Scared me at first tho.. Ok that's my flight story for the day.. Guess u had to be there.

- - - Updated - - -

That ur bell?

dwmoore

Great story! Glad it was horses and not something more, uh...dangerous. Not my Bell. I manage a ranch down here and each year we conduct a fly-over to assess deer herd numbers. That heli was a Rolls-Royce! Super clean and well maintained. Last year I did the fly-over in a Robinson R22 and after the pilot let me off in the front yard I told the wife "I want one!". Was that foreshadowing getting the TREX, or is the TREX foreshadowing a full-size bird? They're only about $120,000, after all.

cml001

I don't think the Roninson Helis r that much are they? Thought they were cheaper.. Anyhow that's kool.

- - - Updated - - -

Pilot let u take the stick?

- - - Updated - - -

Guess they are that much! Huh..

dwmoore

Nope, but I had a blast. We were flying between 50 and 100 feet and at times were eye to eye with hawks and buzzards. I thought when I leaned out of the cockpit the rotor wash would blast me, but it was barely there. Later I realized it was because I was close to the hub of rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

PLANE1.jpg
Dad, circa 1945

PLANE1.jpg

Top Bottom