The RCH Heli Is In The Air!!!!

Tony

Staff member
First thing is first, I have to give a huge thanks to all of the members that donated to put this thing in the air. It's been a fight to get it this far, but it's finally starting to pay off!

For those of you that don't know, the 3GX that was in this bird was so unstable that it was unflyable. Never even left the ground.

The second huge thanks goes out to xokia for giving us a great deal on an awesome gyro, the AR7200BX. With this gyro, the helicopter is just stupid stable in the air, even at the low head speed that I was running at because of the rich engine. I'm still leaning it out and it will get there in time, but just getting this thing in the air is a major accomplishment.

One thing to note though is I was not able to get a blue light on the 6º of cyclic. I was able to get a purple light. The blue light kicked on at 7º of cyclic, exactly! So, I just set it to 6, and kept it there. The video below is the result. My servo horns are on the inner most hole, and my DFC swash is on the inner most hole as well, so I have it set for the most servo throw that I can get, but it's still not right. I have a feeling that I need to play with my G menu a bit more to get it to light blue

No matter, it's in the air and it's time to start having fun! Lots of videos to come. Sorry for the hover only, I'm still worried about this engine. Just the short flight that I did, I burnt through over half a tank of fuel. so she is still rich, but it seems like it's a bit too hot for as rich as it is. But, it's still not bad. Only time will tell!

Best of all, the muffler didn't fall off hahahahaha.

RCH Heli Maiden AFter Rebuild! - YouTube

Derek

That's awesome! It looks like we both had some "helicopter success" today! Your 600N sure does look nice! I like it.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Derek. I would have thought you would have seen this in the other section. I want to get it out again right now, but I know I'm not awake enough to do so lmao. Flying that thing is like a drug, you just want more.

Derek

It's like a drug, you say? Yep...I feel it, as well, with mine. I've got a fully charged battery but I also have a real bad head ache and a pinched nerve in my neck, so no flying for me right now.

I must have missed the 600 videos in the other section, but I'll look. I'm happy for ya, bro!

Tony

Staff member
She still has her issues, but in due time they will be dealt with and replaced. I may have to take Gaba up on his offer since he is not using the OS55HZ-H anymore. Wonder if he would sell it to me at a great price... :scratchchin:

Westy

LEGEND
Awesome ...... does that tail have a little twitch in it? or is that just rough running? Looks awesome though ... cant wait till it eats some sky!

Tony

Staff member
The tail has a wag in it. At this time, the gyro gain is still controlled by the gyro, and not my Tx. When it started to get bad, you saw me give a quick right rudder input and it stopped. the gain just needs to go down slightly and it will be locked in.

There is still a lot that needs to be done with it. From the complete gyro setup to lock this thing in solid, to replacing the engine, it just takes time. But it's getting there.

The skid bumps were my fault. I was playing around with the IU switch and when I did, I dropped the collective a bit lmao. I was hovering very low because I didn't know what to expect from this helicopter. And I still don't. The video above is just a first step. But, the more I lean that engine out, the higher the head speed will get, and the more programming the gyro will receive, the more locked in it will become and this helicopter will be on rails.

I'm not sure what my HS was in this video, I didn't want to look down at my Tx to find out lmao. But I'm guessing I'm around 1500 or so with the way the engine sounds. so, it's very low, but no wobble. Thankfully!

Tony

Staff member
Check on fuel priced down there. That is the main determining factor right there.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Check on fuel priced down there. That is the main determining factor right there.

Its $38 a gallon..whew! maybe a gasser will do. I seen these guys 3D here and throw their gasser heli around like its on nitro. Bogs alot but not bad.

Tony

Staff member
Eh, that's only about $8 a gallon more than here. Nitro is expensive, that's for sure. That is one thing that will keep this thing grounded for a while. I think I need to up my nitro content though. Right now, I"m only running 15%. I think I need to go to at least 20 if not 30. But the more nitro, the more money. Time to buy a case when I have the cash so I can keep this thing in the air lol. Damn this hobby is getting expensive lmao.

Tony

Staff member
That is the same engine that has been in it from day one. It has a lot of internal damage, and the compression is quite low. I'm trying to source a new engine right now just to play it safe. I think I have found one, just need to come up with the cash for it. It's used, but I know who had it and I will hold them to their word that it works lmao. But, that elusive little thing called cash flow is keeping me from it. It's used, but about half price from a new one.

Adam

Looking really good tony. Finally will get the nitro back out tomorrow. I took my multigov off so i can get it tuned in better. So if you really want to tune it i think you need the gov off IMO

xokia

The second huge thanks goes out to xokia for giving us a great deal on an awesome gyro, the AR7200BX. With this gyro, the helicopter is just stupid stable in the air, even at the low head speed that I was running at because of the rich engine. I'm still leaning it out and it will get there in time, but just getting this thing in the air is a major accomplishment.

One thing to note though is I was not able to get a blue light on the 6º of cyclic. I was able to get a purple light. The blue light kicked on at 7º of cyclic, exactly!
Now you know why on my 700 how I was able to look down at my transmitter for so long. The beastx is rock solid stable!!! I could just park my 700 and take my hands off the TX. Glad it worked out for you.

You really should adjust this so you get the blue light. In order to do that you need to move the ball closer to the servo so that it requires more movement in order to get to 6 degrees. So if you cant adjust your servo horns any more buy different servo horns.

On my 250 I could never get the blue light either which it still flew fine just seemed twitchy. I think it needs to have a specific amount of travel to allow smooth flight over the entire pitch range. On my 700 blue light was stupid easy to get. Good luck and I hope you eventually get it locked in.

From my experience with the 3GX and Beastx
3GX-> Hard to get right
Beastx-> hard to get wrong

The beastx is just so easy to get flying pretty damn good with just basic configs.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I went through the entire gyro last night (after a factory reset) and I did notice some of the settings were up in the more advanced ranges. Some were set to Tx, others were just under expert mode or something like that. Maybe that was what made it twitchy. Just a thought that popped in my head.

As for getting a blue light, with the setup I have now, it's impossible. I have the stock Align servo horns on it and I'm already on the inside hole for max servo travel. I'm also on the inside hole on the DFC swash for max servo travel, and still, there isn't enough movement. I don't know if there is a servo horn out there for this thing where the balls are closer. I guess I'm going to have to order the aluminum ones again and give them a try, but I doubt they will do anything different.

I did take this to work with me last night and I did a lot of work on it to set it to the factory settings. I have yet to fly it though. Right now, I'm on Sport mode and running +-11º of collective pitch. Now, I just need the time to get out there and toss it back up in the air. Lots of tuning yet to do to this thing. From the engine, to the gyro, it all just takes time. But it will get there, one tank at a time!

xokia

I went through the entire gyro last night (after a factory reset) and I did notice some of the settings were up in the more advanced ranges. Some were set to Tx, others were just under expert mode or something like that. Maybe that was what made it twitchy. Just a thought that popped in my head.
Yea that was me trying to get the dang thing to fly right. I never even got purple on the 250 always red. Just not enough servo travel on the 250 swash. I gave up, I spent a bunch of time on it an realised I was spending more time tinker then flying so sold that 250. Kind of the same process I went through with the Ikon. One bonus if you ever get a 250 that gyro will fit in the 250 dfc frame where the 3gx would sit without touching either side of the frame.

I would look to see if you can find some different servo horns to get the extra refinement. I've read on many places that getting the purple light for the most part is good enough. But I have to get everything perfect so I'd still be tinkering with it :) Could you drill holes in your servo horns and move the ball links yourself?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I actually had that wrong, it goes from Off, to Purple, then red, then blue. I'm on red just shy of blue. Very close, but just need a bit more. If you were red, you were right where I am now.

And can't move the swash balls in any further, they are almost touching the inside piece around the main shaft the way they are now. I would redrill and tap the bellcranks, but they are recessed and I don't konw that I could get them perfect. Plus, I can't change the elevator link since it's solid (acts as teh swash anti-rotation bracket). My only hope is there is a set of servo arms out there that have the servo balls closer to the center. I will look and see what ones they are running on the 600N DFC kit. Those should work. Should....

xokia

I actually had that wrong, it goes from Off, to Purple, then red, then blue. I'm on red just shy of blue. Very close, but just need a bit more. If you were red, you were right where I am now.

And can't move the swash balls in any further, they are almost touching the inside piece around the main shaft the way they are now. I would redrill and tap the bellcranks, but they are recessed and I don't konw that I could get them perfect. Plus, I can't change the elevator link since it's solid (acts as teh swash anti-rotation bracket). My only hope is there is a set of servo arms out there that have the servo balls closer to the center. I will look and see what ones they are running on the 600N DFC kit. Those should work. Should....
I would try and find different servo links but from what I read if you are on the edge of reaching blue it should be fine. I run the HV servos on my 700 and the steps are insanely small so was easy to reach blue. Kinda wierd seeing my old equipment on someone elses heli lol. I'm glad its working out for you. And I found that damn little screwdriver!!!! It was in the floor board of my rangerover. So when I get a chance I'll stick it in an envelope and mail it to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom