General the professional truck driver

john2012

Banned
hello again all here im john from ohio im 60 yrs old and have been looking to get a good heli im tired of the junk i did buy i had a 3 ch heli and then a 6ch heli from B H and they are no help so im back to work and heres what im planning on... 1 the simulator with dx5 or with out tx? 2 the DX8 tx and last is 3 the t-rex 450 sport V2 ?? so tony is this the right place for this post and is it ok. thanks john2012

Graham Lawrie

Hi John, Happy New Year from Scotland. I am new to Helis, but I would say if its Phoenix, I would go Dx8 and Trex 450. I have just finished my 450pro v2 3GX, and it was done with the help of Tony,s videos and the guys on here. they are a great bunch. I think it is down to what you can afford, like everything, but what ever you decide, loads of support on here. welcome on board. graham

Derek

Hey there, john!!! I've heard alot of negative things from BH so it's no surprise to me what you are saying about them.

On to your questions...if you are looking into a sim (which is an excellent idea), I can talk very highly about the Phoenix sim. I have it and I run it nearly everyday. I have the DX6i and it's not failed me yet but I am very interested in getting the DX8 because there are so many more features on the DX8 than the DX6i. So I'll get the DX8 and my wife can have my DX6i. Both transmitters will work with the Phoenix sim. However, there are alot of people on this site that have the RealFlight sim and they talk very highly about it. I'm probably gonna end up getting the RealFlight sim so that I can fly online with them as well as the other members that fly online with Phoenix.

In regard to your choice in heli's....the 450 sport V2...that has the flybarred head, i think. There are more parts to replace in the event of a crash, but the parts aren't that expensive. There are quite a few people on this site that have 450's and they talk very highly about them. I have a Trex 500 flybarred but I'd love to get a 450.

Just as Graham said...it really comes down to what you can afford or what you want to spend. Good luck buddy!

stokke

Welcome to the forum!

You MUST have a simulator - Phoenix is excellent.
You MUST have at least 6 channels on your transmitter, Spektrum DX6i is a minimum.

If you master the basics of flying a 4 channel (or more) heli, you can consider getting a 450.

Flybarless or Flybarred? Flybarless is the newest tech wise, but a flybarred is "easier" to fly "right out of the box".

Good luck buddy :D

john2012

Banned
happy new year to you also derek .and yes this 450 has flybar and a belt drive for the tail.thanks yes im getting the phoenix sim and the DX8 im back to work and im making very good money and can afford these that i want????

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Marius S yes im getting all that i need but i did have a 3ch heli and was good at flying it that is why im going to the best i have been flying for a year got to do this im hooked im getting the phoenix sim and the DX8 tx and then the 450 sport V2 heli

BOKI

john2012 ;Good luck on whatever you buy & do & A Happy New Year Also! Drive Safe & Fly safe also:lol: :twothumbsup: I also have a DX8 & a Trex 450! The Best!

Tony

Staff member
As stated above, if you are getting the DX8, get the Phoenix sim w/o the Tx. You can use your DX8 as your controller. The Sport v2 is a great helicopter for the beginner in the 6ch ccpm world. Less headaches with teh belt and no 3 axis gyro. However, if you have not mastered the 4ch fixed pitch heli such as the Blade 120sr, I would highly suggest getting one of those to practice on. Even the mSR (which taught me how to fly) would be a great option. And you can get the BNF and just bind it to your DX8.

As for the correct section, I have put it in the heli beginner help area. We like to keep all questions in the heli sections so it's easier to search for new members.

Westy

LEGEND
Hey There fellow Trucker!
here is what I did...

Sim = Phoenix RC now running Version 4.0M ..... perfect choice ... I have a cheap Hobby King Radio witha V2 Receiver and a Wireless radio USB dongle from HObby King that works will all the versions of PhonixRC.... Aerofly and some of the other good sims out there. What you could do is get a radio.... 6ch minimum .... Specktrum or JR or Futaba etc ... most are compatible with the Sim with the correct trainer port cable.... in my case. I prefer the Wireless approach as I can move about freely and am not stapled to the PC with a short cable to the USB port.

although you get really good on the sim .... the only way to get better is REal live Practice... adrenaline makes your reactions fast and fear makes them slow (like a drunkard) so getting fearless with knowing your heli is the best medicine ... and everyday you do not crash.... you get more confidence.

I am sure there are great tips here and I have a set of my own Videos I made on the topic .... Learning to hover and orientation flying Safely.

The biggest common mistakes new pilots do are:
1.over correcting (expo settings can fix most of this) , flying too low while learning, not knowing how to safely bail out and recover (practice - practice practice - especially rudder recoveries) , getting to far away and losing orientation.

Hope this helps and hope I am not treading on any toes here? :)

BOKI

mountaindewdude76;Just save your money as much as you can & look around the house to see if you have anything you could sell & make a few bucks to save for your RC Hobby!We have a Radio trader & they sell stuff for you send a post card in on the radio free no charge! Also you can go & call in & sell your things! So look around your house you can maybe sell & make a few dollars towards Your Your RC Hobby! Then buy your DX8! :lol: :twothumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

Westy; I'm just learning & I have Phoenix & just love it! Thinking about getting a wireless Dx 8 connection !Also welcome to the site & Happy New Year to! Also have a 120sr & a Trex 450SE V2! Talk to you again soon! :lol: :twothumbsup:

Westy

LEGEND
hey BOKI ... I spend about 2 hours a day on the Sim..... always have a Phoenix running online .... it is called Westy RC ... Password "rchelpdotcom" I am goign to get a couple of Cheap Orange RX610 off Hobby king as they are compatible with all DSM Spektrum/JR and are cheap as chips .... then I will be able to simply run my DX7-SE (since the Se does not support PPM Signal output for a sim) ....

flysolo

Welcome to the forum!

You MUST have a simulator - Phoenix is excellent.
You MUST have at least 6 channels on your transmitter, Spektrum DX6i is a minimum.

If you master the basics of flying a 4 channel (or more) heli, you can consider getting a 450.

Flybarless or Flybarred? Flybarless is the newest tech wise, but a flybarred is "easier" to fly "right out of the box".

Good luck buddy :D

Always listen to what Stokke say! Except in this post :)

A sim can be a valuable tool if you have the spare time but by no means is it a MUST. I've been flying for 6 months now and have never touched a sim and I feel that I make good progress with every flight.

Maybe if i had spent 1000 hours on the sim during this last 6 months I would be as good as stokke(probably not) but the reason I got in to helis was to get away from the computer so it's not really an option for me.

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Fly Solo..... Fair call :) there is absolutely no simulator that can teach you to handle the pressure of real sticks and real blades rotating at tip speeds around the speed of sound. That is for sure an adrenaline rush for sure.

Sims will and can save you money in all aspects of your learning curve ... timing for 3d tricks is almost essential unless you have a skill pilot to show you how and what to do ... and more specifically what not to do and how to get out of it if you do :)

There are other ways to get the basics. basic take off skills and all 4 orientation skills are obtainable safely (without damage) with lots of practice and some tuition. Radds' school of flight (Free) gave me the basics I needed after getting so frustrated with crashes ... I was sooo ... scared of the heli it was intimidating. After going through Radds school of Flights system. I turned around instantly and now am disciplined and confident in all of my flying. When I try a new move or 3d Trick (not that I know a lot) I practice my bail out strategies in all 4 orientations prior to take off. That was 8 months ago (lost 2 months in winter). Well Judge me on what you see .... am Just about to upload one battery off yesterdays flying. (posting it in the Vids section in about 20 mins) Hope you like it. Takes a lot of nerve to trust your instincts and is a great feeling when you pull it off and recover from a near miss :) Lol

Enjoy
Cheers
Westy

Top Bottom