Micro The Oxy 2 Sport On 215s

Tony

Staff member
OXY Heli Oxy 2 Sport Edition Electric Helicopter Kit [OXY2-S] | Helicopters

Electronics kit
Lynx Heli Oxy 2 "Essential" Electronic Combo [LYX3000] | Helicopters

Is this the exact kit you got? What size Allen wrench do you use to build this kit? How big (in mm) are the heads on the screws for the frame? Is the vbar neo easy or difficult to program? In comparison to the Ikon2 is it easier or more difficult to program? I’m leaning to get this kit and just want to know what I’m getting into..

All the screws are 1.5mm except the linkage balls. Those are 1.3mm.

From what I could tell the fasteners are of higher quality. I did not strip a single head during the build. I also used scorpion drivers except for the 1.3mm. Quality drivers will help for the build.

:biggrin1:

murankar

Staff member
Yes and yes for the kit and electronics.

You'll need the 1.5mm and a 1.3 mm.

Don't forget the green loc tight. You will need it for the motor pulley.

If you want to a lighter frame read what I put on reducing the weight. I personally want the weight down, I prefer lighter disk loading. If it was to do it again I would go with castle for the esc just because of weight nothing else. In have the programmer for castle So its no biggie. If you run a governor you'll want the hobbywing hands down.

Oh and make sure to get at least one full set of servo arms as back up. The servo arms are truly an intended fail point.

xokia

I picked up the oxy 2 also. Planning to run the uSpirit. I did a dumb thumb with my oxy 3 today. Went inverted then forgot I was inverted and went pull pitch into the ground. Should have all the parts I need by next week. I told myself I was done with micros long ago. Hoping I don’t regret it.

murankar

Staff member
Micros are a different game all together. On one hand they are cheap to fix but are they really?

Just make sure you get a small supply of servo arms. I lost one set on my first crash. It wasn't a real crash. I hit throttle hold and forgot about the lack of a one way bearing. You will be landing this heli under power.

I think I mentioned this earlier, if you get the lynx power kit for the oxy 2 then be ready to replace bullets. Either the motor will need bigger males or the esc will need smaller females. I replaced the motor side males to bigger ones.

xokia

Crash costs is why I exited micros they started reaching the 450 size crash costs. The 130x was my last micro and I really liked that heli. Crash it in the grass and most of the time you could pick it up and fly again. The problem became once you started to want to do things like tic toks the tail just would not hold. So I progressed beyond the micro capability. If you try to up the performance that is when things go south IMO. It's an endless upgrade game after that.

I think blade does things right in the micro category. I know a lot of folks complain about them. But they get the costs/weight/performance just right. And with micros from blade when you buy something they sell the part in pairs. Honestly I should not have bought the oxy3. I have a 450 and the size is fairly similar. I just crashed it dumb thumbed while I was inverted and pulled down instead of up. Havent done that in forever. Costs $52 luckily the blades survived or it would have been more. Kind of off topic but I really dont need anything under a 450 anymore. The Oxy3 and Oxy 2 were impulse purchases.

The oxy 2 I am eager to check it out. I had a trex 250 and absolutely hated that thing. Trex flew heavy and it flew like poop IMO. Oxy was at least smart and used a lot of plastic to keep the weight down. It will be interesting to see what crash costs are. My 130x had a one way hopefully someone like xtremeproduction makes a one way for the oxy. No aftermarket makes anything for the oxy yet.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
With lynx being who they are I don't think anyone will. Luca put a lot of thought behind the OXY line.

For me a space issue sink had to go smaller plus the cost of batteries for the 570 are out of range at the moment.

Its been difficult to get out to a flying field regulatory. So I went small in hopes of doing some flying in the street or at work. Work has an option of indoor flying along with outdoor. I don have to wait till everyone leaves for the day though.

Long story short its just so I can fly more with out the hassle of a large field.

murankar

Staff member
So the OXY 2, yep dirt darted on landing. The motor pinion broke free before the main gear stripped. The servo arms are in tack, blades are fine.

What I need to check is the main shaft and blade grip spindle. I have a feeling if anything is a miss it will be the main shaft.

What happened was at the end of the pack I went to land and for some reason it descended faster than I could control. As it made contact with the mud it nosed over and caught the mains. I managed TH but not till after the pinion broke free of the motor shaft.

I have repeatedly stated in this thread that the pinion is green thread locked to the motor shaft. There is no grub screw or flat spot. I believe this design was intentional for a weak point to save the main gear.

Now i have to clean down the motor shaft and pinion. Rebond the pinion and wait 10 hours before I can fly it again.

murankar

Staff member
In just looked at Austin could. I was wrong on something. The pinion did not break free. The motor shaft pulled out from the outer can on the motor.

On a 300 and bigger heli the motor shaft is set screwed in place. The shaft on the lynx motor is press fitted. So on impact the motor shaft pulled out.

Now I have to see if that may have ruined the motor shaft. Its off the see if a rebuild kit is available or maybe just the shaft.

murankar

Staff member
Now For the Oxy 2.

Late last year I stripped out the main gear. So I upgraded to the slanted tooth main gear. I had to get a new pinion gear so I just ordered one. Not knowing that there are 2 motor shift sizes available i place the order and said okay done.

I get the shipment in got everything to together and noticed that I ordered the wrong pinion. So I did the wrong thing and installed it anyways. I used a lot of green lock tight. it held for about 20 flights. Then it gave in so I said screw it.

Well the time has come and I finally ordered the new pinion. Going to ha e 2 great little helps flying again. Now its time to get the packs together and ready. This help will probably be the first one up. I did a quick spool up of the Oxy 3 and about pooped my pants. I had forgotten how aggressive it sounds.

xokia

Now I have to see if that may have ruined the motor shaft. Its off the see if a rebuild kit is available or maybe just the shaft.

did not see this post I’m way late in replying lol. I popped my motor also. I can’t recall if I used red loctite or green to resecure it. Lynx knows about this it’s a common issue and they will replace the motor if you want them to.

I was always popping main gears with a crash. I switched to the one way setup and the slant main gear. It should have come this way from the start.

my heli flies heavy right now. I’m running the 1300mAh from my old 300x. I also have a gps puck for my uSpirit.

murankar

Staff member
I wanted to have UI sensors for both but the unit is just way to big for the oxy 2. Its actually almost to big for the oxy 3. Tuesday we will be back in and flying. We shall see how things go.

As for the motor, it happened only once. If it happens again then I will consider getting the motor replaced. I need to look into the one way setup.

murankar

Staff member
This little guy should be ready tomorrow to fly. Just need to charge my packs and bam. The pinion is installed. I went to 14t for the highest possible head speed. This thing will scream. Plus flight times will go down. I got the biggest 3s packs that will fit, 850s. I get almost 7 minutes flight time. Now I should see something close to 6 or 6.5 minutes.

I got the pinion glued in place this morning. I decided to wait the 24 hours cure time. Fingers crossed for a nice day tomorrow.

Matt

I lost my Oxy 2 on top of a building in an industrial park that I fly in. I was flying inverted with it and it got away from me. I hit throttle hold and hoped it would land on the grass but it landed on top of a 4 story building in the industrial park. That heli was about $500. I had the Oxy 2 Sport kit ($189), Lynx essential electronics ($164), and a Micro Brain2 ($115) on it. Poof, it’s gone. No way to get on top of the building..

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Matt. That suck but don't give up hope. First find who in charge of building maintenance. Every industrial park has one. All industrial park has an entrance to the roof. Most AC/Heating units are pretty much on the roof plus fire dept. Must be able to get to the roof if needed. Tell him/her what happen and see if he/she can help you out. You might have to buy him/her lunch or offer money but it's probally worse it. Give that a try. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck.

Matt

I went back there tonight and it’s actually a 4 story building. It’s a big office building. It’s supposed to rain tonight so I’m guessing all of the electronics will be ruined anyway. This is definitely one of those lesson learned moments..

But I’m not going to give up hope. I had a small sentimental attachment to the heli but I’m at a loss to how to get it back. With the Covid thing going on no one goes to that building right now. I say I just invest in something else and chalk it up to inexperience..

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
It sucks for sure. If the pack go completely dead before water hits it, it should be fine once it drys. Its getting to the roof that's an issue.

Mine is built identical except I have the neo.

I plowed mine in about a week ago. I mean hard. I had the rpm well over 4k. Still haven't assessed all the damage. Canopy for sure and few little things.

Smoggie

I went back there tonight and it’s actually a 4 story building. It’s a big office building. It’s supposed to rain tonight so I’m guessing all of the electronics will be ruined anyway. This is definitely one of those lesson learned moments..

But I’m not going to give up hope. I had a small sentimental attachment to the heli but I’m at a loss to how to get it back. With the Covid thing going on no one goes to that building right now. I say I just invest in something else and chalk it up to inexperience..

Do you know anyone with a FPV drone that could perhaps stage a rescue attempt?.. Though the risk obviously is you end up with a drone stuck on the roof too!

I hope one way or another you get it back soon. even after a couple of weeks most of the heli should be ok. Even it's it's rained, the electronics should be ok providing they werent powered up while wet and you thoroughly dry them.

Top Bottom