Kits The moment has come the Telemaster flies

The weather broke later in the afternoon and a group of the guys and gals came out to watch my Telemaster fly. One of the gents was Phil. Phil has owned a 12ft Telemaster for over a decade and loves it. Final adjustments were made, the engine was started and my pulse quickened. As the moment arrived it was wisely decided the best pilot would take her up on her first flight. That task fell to Bruce Harlow my mentor. (picture 1). Bruce throttled up and away she took tracking straight and true. A moment later she rose gently and gracefully in to the air. It was a real sight to see. (picture 2). Bruce made a few circuits and she flew very gracefully and stable. Toward the end of the flight a bit of a swirling cross wind kick up but he handle it well and side drifted it in for a nice landing. The Tele was checked over, refueled and readied for the next flight. By this time a new storm front was moving in and the wind speed had increased and was still swirling but Bruce decided to take her up anyway. Although the wind pushed her around a bit she still flew beautifully. Shortly in to the flight, Bruce turned her nose in to the wind, slowed her down and literally made her hover a hundred feet above us for 5 - 6 seconds. A couple of more circuits and he tried the flaps. The nose rose showing the flaps were operating properly and were giving the wing more lift. Everything about the flights were amazing and I am a happy boy. Oh by the way, the plane was so well set up there was no need for trim adjustments. Everyone in the attending group had something nice to say about the plane. Sorry I don't have a video camera.
HPIM1052.jpgHPIM1053.jpgHPIM1055.jpg

HPIM1052.jpg

HPIM1053.jpg

HPIM1055.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is great that you got her in the air. I told you it would just float lol. I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep tonight knowing there was a maiden and no video, but I think I will manage lmao.

Man, I wish I had some place like that to take off from. If I did, I would be wearing out my planes. That is a nice field. The only thing I would be worrying about is the swirling wind coming off those mountains. But I'm sure you are used to that. Here in Oklahoma, we have out of towners that tell us we are crazy when we fly in high winds. Well, you either fly in high winds, or you dont' fly lmao.

Keep it up bro, there are MANY more flights in that plane. If you have any friends that are into gliders, this is the PERFECT plane to tow them up!

I am really sorry that I don't have access to a video camera. I wish you could have seen the flight it was something to behold.

Yes I am very lucky to have a real airfield to fly at. It is really nice. We have a few other field within easy driving distance where large events are held. The last large event was held at our field just last month. Most mornings here have very wild winds as do some of our afternoons. The airport sits in a kind of basin that keeps most of the heavy winds out.

You are right, the Tele would make a great tow plane. With flaps down the plane has more lift and a slower and gentler take off speed which will reduce stress on both planes. The OS46 certainly has enough power.

Derek

That's awesome! What a great success story!!! I'm glad to see the whole thing work out and despite you not having a video camera, hopefully we'll get to see more pictures from more flights. Congrats!!!!

Lee

Very nice plane, and congrats on the maiden. It reminds me of my first ever trainer plane 25 years ago.

murankar

Staff member
Thats a beautiful thing you got there. Nice to see your time and dedication paid off in the end. Its great knowing you do not need any trim to have a nice level flight. Also good job on the conversion to nitro on the kit.

Wolfman

grampayeehaa: I enjoyed the build and I am glad the maiden went well!!!! I have a question for you, How big is the J3 Cub on the bench? What motor is on it? I am getting ready to build a J3 from a kit and looking for info.

Hi Wolfman. The J3 on the bench is a 1/4 scale and utilizes a 26cc gasoline engine. It has more than adequate power with out being over powered.

Wolfman

Thanks, The one I have coming is a .40 size 76 1/2" wingspan from Great Planes. It will take me a while to get it together, this will be my first kit. Your J3 motor looks about like a weedeater motor!

Thanks, The one I have coming is a .40 size 76 1/2" wingspan from Great Planes. It will take me a while to get it together, this will be my first kit. Your J3 motor looks about like a weedeater motor!
Wow, that is great. Good luck on your build. Yes, that is basically a weed eater motor.

Wolfman

My J3 showed up early :arms: Now I will try to take photos and post the build, with my schedule it may take forever!

Top Bottom