The Man (FAA)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm with Tony on not signing up.
There's a police station about a mile away from me, as the crows fly, with a heli port. Sometimes when I'm flying out back, you can here the police helicopter take off and pretty much fly over the house. Well sometimes, which I think is cool, the heli hovers and checks me out fly the heli for a few minutes. Then they wave and off they go. Other times they drive by the house and will stop on the road just to check me out flying. That's cool also. So if they haven't said anything too me and my neighbors hasn't complain, screw it, I don't need to sign up. Just my thoughts. As for homeowner insurance, I need to check that out.:scratchchin:

I will not put my PERSONAL information out there for the general public.

Do you think for a second "They" do not have your information, do you file taxes every year? I they want to know the color of toilet paper you use and how many squares you use they will find out. If I had a big enough property to fly my 700, not just hover, or airplane I would have not registered either but I am not that lucky.

trainrider06

Unfortunately I don't have a big property, so my flights are limited and what I fly around the house. The registration stuff doesn't bother me, the government already knows, or can find out real quick about me if they want to, as the case with anyone else, so I'm not worried about that sort of thing. I highly doubt they'll bother anyone registered or not for the time being. But I figure all it'll take is 1 or 2 instances where some dillweed does something stupid, and then they get serious about it.

Tony

Staff member
Do you think for a second "They" do not have your information, do you file taxes every year? I they want to know the color of toilet paper you use and how many squares you use they will find out. If I had a big enough property to fly my 700, not just hover, or airplane I would have not registered either but I am not that lucky.

I know "they" have my information, but it's not publicly searchable like the new FAA crap is. Yes, there are things out there that are public domain (I was a private investigator, I know all about these and I exploited them a LOT) and I also know what info of mine is out there. I'm not going to put it out there even more so that some asshat can do with it what he wants.

trainrider06

Did you know the local authorities can and have the ability to go to a cell phone tower near you and listen in if they see fit to do so? When that all rights stripping bill was passed years ago I told someone that "you watch! All of these new snoop things will slide down to the local level" And they have! Thats what happens when fear legislation takes place, everyone looses.....

Tony, you said you where a private investigator at one point then you should know the information the FAA requires any private investigator or local police can find in 5 min.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, a PI can find it, but not the general public. The way the FAA is setting it up (or were, they may have changed which would get me one step closer to actually registering) is that it's very easy to search their database by anyone, including general public.

Brad_sfo

I consider it a "drone" if it does a job: shoot video, captures data, etc. And I think that is along the same lines the FAA is thinking. Helis and planes are still called model ac in much of their thinking.

And, as a licensed rotor and fixed wing pilot myself, I somewhat understand the need to license (not to get into the whole "big brother" discussion above). Most modelers are very conscientious when flying and have understood for years the implications of flying in the airspace system. But now you have little Johnny that can get an out-of-the-box whirly drone and be up above 400' a half mile from an airport in a heartbeat! And, while I don't take the same fear mongering approach to how a drone tangling with a 737 will immediately cause death and carnage (media stoked fear), there are legit concerns.

Anyway...mine is registered. And I have vowed to comply when I get a drone at work (likely in the next couple weeks) to do GIS data collection tasks. Fortunately, I already have the "licensed pilot" part taken care of and just need to get the UAS certification.

Just think of how it would be if some of these "quadcopter car" ideas took flight (pun intended!). I'm not sure the national airspace system is prepared for all that!

Brad

Tony

Staff member
The argument here is, do you think those people that are going to fly over 400', near an airport or for malicious reasons are actually going to register? Hell no they are not. This is nothing but punishment for those of us that actually fly within the rules, regardless if we have an AMA or not. I have never flown over 400', I have never flown within 4 miles of an airport (well there was that one time where we flew AT the airport, but it was sanctioned....) and I have never used anything to capture video within private property. And they want ME to register? It's just NOT going to happen. I will continue to fly safe, but I will NOT register with the FAA.

Brad_sfo

No problem, Tony. That is your prerogative. It is still a (mostly) free country. At most if they decided to pick on you for something you'd get fined and such...and could refuse to pay, etc.

I live less than a mile from an airport (KCCR). A few months back the CHP were flying out of there in one of their choppers and had to maneuver to avoid a quad copter at 500 feet. They traced it to a Chinese student living in the area that was flying his quad in a place he shouldn't have. So, while MANY if not all RC modelers know and respect the system, that just isn't the case with a lot of the new peeps out there.

I hate anything that is over regulated as well. The NAS has a :):):):)-ton of rules that are complex for even pilots to keep track of. But, they ARE necessary for smooth air operations. It sucks to give Uncle Sam more info sometimes. And it is a personal choice as to whether to do so.

Happy flying, regardless of WHO knows you're doing it! :wink:

rwhwwi

So as an alien, (Canadian), if I want to take my quad to Texas this winter, where do I get the FAA number, and what does it cost?

Bob

Tony

Staff member
You don't even have to mark it on it. Just print it out a few times and put it inside a wing or something. But yes, that is it unless you want to fly at an AMA sanctioned field where you would have to have your AMA ($75) plus the field dues (somewhere around $100 a year). But if you are just flying somewhere random, that is all you need. Hell it's more than I have.

rwhwwi

Thanks, We will be heading to Padre Island, I figure the drone will be fun at the beach, if the wind ever dies down.

Tony

Staff member
Good luck with that. Every time I have went to Padre, the wind has NEVER died down lol. Same with Corpus

Top Bottom