700 The Awesome "Velos 880" helicopter

Derek

They finally showed up at their tent and I did get a brief video and some details on it. Video to come!!

This thing is a monster! I had my hands on it!!!

Lee

Sweet Derek.
So how did your friend get his hands on one. I didn't think they were for sale yet?
Whats the damage $$$$$$$

Derek

After talking with my friend, he did not buy it. He was being sarcastic when he told me it was his lol.

I do have video of me talking with the Velos guys about this 880 but I won't be able to upload it until tomorrow. I have some specs, a sell date, and a dollar amount. I'll post all that tomorrow.

Derek

I'm editing the video now. I'll upload it to Youtube soon and then post it to the forum.

pvolcko

Re: The Awesome "Velos 880" helicopter

Insane.

Looked like it was pretty light given it's size. Liked that the stab was integral to the landing setup, so they will be forced to keep it quite a bit longer than the standard tail blade size. Too many designers keep that short and ends up causing blade rubs/strikes on the less than perfectly level ground many of us use.

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube_share;Kt4IPi4xdHE]http://youtu.be/Kt4IPi4xdHE[/video]

Another look with some more details.

Derek

it actually was quite light. Granted, there were no battery packs on it but yes....very light and just enormous. I won't be getting one but it was cool to have it in my hands for a bit, lol.

murankar

Staff member
ITS BELT DRIVEN ALL THE WAY BACK. So much for belts being inefficient.

What a friggin pig this thing is. Huge!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

Way outside of my realm here, but I think belts are more efficient than shaft drive. Far more load bearing surface contact and less redirection of forces. So long as the belt is strong enough to handle the forces and isn't too tight or too loose, the belt should be more efficient. A shaft turns rotation in one axis to rotation along a second axis, back into rotation on either the same or different axis as the first. The load bearing surfaces are usually a couple/few teeth of a gear and that's it. Helical and herringbone teeth can increase the surface contact and make for a more efficient power transfer, but on these helis the belt is making contact with over half the sprocket and the force is transmitted with a twist of the belt, effectively no redirection of force unlike the two or more redirections needed with the shaft drive.

That said, I may be wrong. All that belt contact with the pulleys may incur a heavy friction loss. Belt material bending around the pulleys may also incur significant frictional losses. Getting the tension in the sweet spot may be trickier than I think. Even with proper tensioning the longer the belt the more chance for flopping and harmonic vibrations that can sap the system of power.

Top Bottom