Texas Flyers please be careful flying "drones"

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I just found out about this. If its old news to you, well, I should have been more aware. lol but if not, PLEASE be careful not to fly any flying thing with a camera mounted on it above private property.

i see people mounting cameras on their planes making onboard videos of even just flying around. But i would just be careful What does it mean if your video has a shot of a privately owned residentail building or a downtown area? I dont know. But better be safe. I recommend getting a writen / verbal approval atleast from the owner of land around the areas you fly at, so you can keep yourself out of trouble, and a very expensive lawsuit. :)

This is just an FYI .. not a debate question :) but feel free to update this, and or correct me :)

Just looking out for everyone

Tony

Staff member
They are cracking down hard on this stuff. So much going on in the world, but they are worried about some hobbyists filming their flights. If it was for profit, I would understand needing a license to operate, but just for flying sake, it's going over board.

Derek

I got an email from a friend of mine last week, who lives in Texas. My friends neighbor was flying his brand new FPV Wing around and he was just trying to dial in the trims. Well, apparently, another neighbor saw the wing in the air and shot it down with a shotgun. The blast destroyed the front part of the FPV Wing, including the brand new GoPro. I don't know what happened after that.

I have flown my planes in new properties, but only after getting verbal or written permission first. it's just the responsible thing to do.

Be safe everyone!!!

murankar

Staff member
Whats crazy is that if I shoot an image with my Nikon D3000 with in limitations (i.e. not going out of my to infringe on ones privacy, peeping tom) i am legally able to take that image. As long as I am on public property when I shoot the image. So video has tighter laws now, I wounder how this affects photography now?

Stambo

Isn't this typical of what's happening around the world. People are paranoid about privacy.
As far as I am concerned if you are not doing anything wrong you have little to hide.
I agree that secretly spying on someone with any type of camera, whether it be on an aircraft or a broom handle is wrong.
Taking pictures with long zoom lenses in the same nature is wrong.
A fly past with an aerial video showing a brief glimpse of someone's back yard being grounds for a law suit, that is just ridiculous.

Another question, how high do you have to be before you are not on private property?
Full size aircraft do it every day, whether commercial or private.
They fly over private property.
What is the difference between a news heli getting footage and a guy with an RC aircraft doing the same.
The first one is for commercial gain. The second just for fun.
Who should you worry about more.?

Top Bottom