Testing Something Out. Let me know what you think.

Tony

Staff member
So I have decided to see if I can do just a podcast instead of doing videos to see if that will work to pass the time out here on the road. The files are about 600kb per minute vs what a HD video is.

I'm uploading a 1 minute cast to this thread. Let me know what you think about it.

View attachment First RCH Podcast.mp3

RandyDSok

If you added MP3 support to the server... it'd be a good option I'd think. As it is now, the user must download the file in order to listen to it.

I'm not up on all of the methods to add MP3 support to a linux server... I just know it can be done since my own personal server has it rolled into it...

This should open a new window to a song made by a friend of mine that I did the mix down for... he never finished adding a lead to it before he passed away... but it's still a cool song.

Darkness into Day

Other options is to host the MP3's on a site such as Soundcloud ... I'm uncertain if there are limitations to the free hosting they provide or not... so that would need looked into as well. In addition, you can add Soundcloud support to the server so it'd actually act as if it were playing from your server even though it's hosted on theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm....

You may want to try to ftp the MP3 up to the site and then try linking to it instead... I see that file is listed as an attachment so may be why it's forcing a download instead of just playing it.

RandyDSok

Clicked the link and couldn't get anything to play, of course am at the airport where nothing plays....

I didn't think of trying it on my Android smartphone...

The smartphone downloads it just fine.... only issue is I didn't ( and won't because I don't use mine for music ) install a audio player that supports MP3... but the file downloaded anyway which would be the first step with an attachment ( instead of a link to the file if the server supports playing MP3's already )

Tony

Staff member
There are options for playing it within the forum (not on the server) that I'm looking into. If I decide to do this, I will have a player installed. I just wanted to get some ideas on what you all think.

RandyDSok

I did sort of just jump to the techy side without giving an opinion ... oops...

I'm good either way ... I usually watch ( or listen ) to the vids about the truck stuff when I'm at work... so I often just have them running in the background just to hear what you have to say anyway... while I continue working on whatever I've got going.

Now for reviews and stuff of that nature ( which I don't think you were talking about anyway ).... the vids are still the way to go on the majority of subjects ( I'm sure we could think of an exception if we tried )....

Tony

Staff member
Reviews and how to videos will still be in video form, no worries there. I was just thinking of a way that I could pass the time doing what I do best (talk, well... bitch... lol) and kind of keep you guys up to date on what I'm dealing with out here. It's still a work in progress and I'm still working out some issues, but it is just an idea at this point. Not sure how much of my voice you guys can stand lmao.

Top Bottom