ESC Testing Esc

Tony

Staff member
Testing an ESC without an oscilloscope is pretty simple. You just swap it out for another one. As for amp rating, there is really no way to tell other than guessing by looking at the physical size and/or getting lucky with a programming software that may show it. But finding the right software is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Wes Carlie

I also need to check all my spare motors. I was given a box of secs and motors. But would like to check out before installing them on anything.

Tony

Staff member
Checking motors is pretty simple. Since they are 3 phase (as long as they are brushless), usually they work or they don't. Find a good ESC and connect them up. The hard part is going to be finding what the specs are on them if they don't have any information printed on them.

murankar

Staff member
One thing to try is take pics and post them on here. Make sure to get fairly decent images. Some folks may be able to ID the parts for you. As with the amp rating of an esc, look at the input wire gauge and motor wire gauge. Usually the battery leads will get you close.

My 100 amp hobby wing uses 10 gauge. But so does the 60 amp. This will only get you close or ball park.

Also if you know what heli those escs were on you can get close. If they were on a 600 and up class then chances are they are 120amp or bigger. A 550 class is going to be around 100 amps, a 450 (360) class 35-60 amps.

Hopes this helps.

Top Bottom